+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***November 2018*** INLAND SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Hey guys,
since tax season is coming up im eager to learn more about the situation. I have always filed single but last July my partner and I had become common-law (he is a US citizen).
He cannot work as of yet as he has yet to receive his OWP. Meaning he also has no SIN.
How do you go about filing for common-law when you cannot enter a SIN #, he of course has no income as he cannot work here in Canada.
Does this affect my tax return at all? how much i receive back?
I prefer to file online as its faster to receive back
Would love some input on this from someone who has an idea of what to do.
Thank you
You can file online and state that his SIN is: 000 000 000 which allows them to know that he doesn't have a SIN because you can't leave it blank at all, but I think he should receive his work permit by then which allows him to apply for a SIN
If he wants to file for his taxes to show that he had no income in 2018 whatsoever (for benefits like GST/HST: if you are a low income family) once filing he should apply for a temporary tax number if he didn't have a SIN by then ( he just writes a letter explaining that he doesn't have a SIN and can't get one and he is applying for a temporary tax number) with his tax return and he has to mail it, he can't apply online

Last edited:
Reactions: Jordannesmith

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Hey guys,
since tax season is coming up im eager to learn more about the situation. I have always filed single but last July my partner and I had become common-law (he is a US citizen).
He cannot work as of yet as he has yet to receive his OWP. Meaning he also has no SIN.
How do you go about filing for common-law when you cannot enter a SIN #, he of course has no income as he cannot work here in Canada.
Thank you
You also said that you became common law in July, so you guys applied for common law sponsorship before living together for a full year or??

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
I saw a Nov 1 applicant receive his OWP approval last week, but it seems to be a fluke. They're currently finishing off Oct applicants.
Yeah it's fair to finish off October applicants first before us November applicants, October applicants have been waiting for 4 months now

Katykaty28

Jan 9, 2019
Hmm I just called the immigration asking about when to submit my police certificate because I didn’t have it when I apply for it in November. I thought they would request me for it but I haven’t so I called then they say they won’t ask me for it but I have to send it ASAP. I’m worried they might lose it if I just send it...

Reactions: Geno.uss

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Hmm I just called the immigration asking about when to submit my police certificate because I didn’t have it when I apply for it in November. I thought they would request me for it but I haven’t so I called then they say they won’t ask me for it but I have to send it ASAP. I’m worried they might lose it if I just send it...
Yeah then send it and write your UCI and application number on it and attach a cover letter explaining what happened
They won't lose it this way they'll attach it to your file

Lime06

Jan 10, 2019
Updates

PA’s home country : Jamaica
App sent : Nov 23,2018
App received: Nov 29,2018
AOR 1 : Jan 17,2019
PR app linked : Jan 16, 2019
OWP app include : Yes
OWP linked: Jan 23, 2019
Medical requested : Feb 05, 2019
Medical done: Feb 07,2019

GrCa2018

Feb 6, 2019
Bit late to the party here, but here's our info:

PA’s home country : Greece
App sent : Oct 31, 2018
App received: Nov 08, 2018
AOR 1 : Dec 01, 2018
PR app linked : Dec 10, 2019
OWP app include : Yes (delayed due to missing signatures - received Dec 28, 2018)
OWP linked: Jan 17, 2019
Medical requested : Jan 17, 2019
Medical done: Jan 31, 2019

I've skimmed through all 76 pages here and I've got a couple questions:

My wife's visitor status expires Mar 6th, 2019 - is it prudent to apply for a visitor extension or unnecessary? I hear OWP applications for inland spousal sponsorships are basically a sure thing, but we want to be certain she remains in status (implied or otherwise) of course.

Regarding the medical exam she just completed, is there anything we need to send in to CIC ourselves to confirm we completed the MR within the allotted 30 day period? The physician who performed the examination sent in the results on Feb 05, but I don't see any updates on our online account.

Thanks in advance!

mili80

Jun 24, 2018
Hey guys,
Thank you
Your partner/spouse has to fill out form T1261 and mail it to CRA. Along with the form, he/she must include a photo ID like passport or driver's license. Then, they will issue a temporary SIN for taxes purposes only.

Last week, I went to a CRA newcomers talk. I will be volunteering March and April for them as well. They are recruiting people to be trained in the basics of taxes, to help them in the high season demand.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/t1261.html

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Your partner/spouse has to fill out form T1261 and mail it to CRA. Along with the form, he/she must include a photo ID like passport or driver's license. Then, they will issue a temporary SIN for taxes purposes only.

Last week, I went to a CRA newcomers talk. I will be volunteering March and April for them as well. They are recruiting people to be trained in the basics of taxes, to help them in the high season demand.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/t1261.html
No he shouldn't fill form T1261 because that form is for Individual Tax Number which is different to them, I filed that form personally and CRA got confused and it caused so much unnecessary delays and resending papers back and forth
There's no form to fill for temporary tax number (which they should have seriously) so he should write a letter and explain his situation and mention why he doesn't have a SIN yet and yeah he should attach a certified copy of photo ID plus a certified copy of his visitor visa record to let them know his status in Canada
If they need anything else or if he anything is missing they will get back to him by mail
From my experience, you should never confuse CRA ( however they will always confuse you lol)

Jordannesmith

Oct 7, 2018
No he shouldn't fill form T1261 because that form is for Individual Tax Number which is different to them, I filed that form personally and CRA got confused and it caused so much unnecessary delays and resending papers back and forth
There's no form to fill for temporary tax number (which they should have seriously) so he should write a letter and explain his situation and mention why he doesn't have a SIN yet and yeah he should attach a certified copy of photo ID plus a certified copy of his visitor visa record to let them know his status in Canada
If they need anything else or if he anything is missing they will get back to him by mail
From my experience, you should never confuse CRA ( however they will always confuse you lol)
To answer your previous question he had came here in July 2017, we became common-law July 2018 (last year) and we applied for common-law sponsorship in November.

So for MY taxes I should apply common-law and use his sin as 000-000-000. I wont have to wait until he gets a sin?
If we choose to do his taxes he will need to get a tax number. ( we will most likely wait to file his taxes until he gets OWP )

Reactions: Geno.uss

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
To answer your previous question he had came here in July 2017, we became common-law July 2018 (last year) and we applied for common-law sponsorship in November.

So for MY taxes I should apply common-law and use his sin as 000-000-000. I wont have to wait until he gets a sin?
If we choose to do his taxes he will need to get a tax number. ( we will most likely wait to file his taxes until he gets OWP )
If he doesn't have a SIN by then, you should put his SIN as 9 zeros unless the software you use for filing taxes allows you to leave it blank ( you don't have to wait for his SIN if he doesn't have one ofcourse because you will have to file your taxes on time )
my spouse put 9 zeros because I don't have a SIN when he filed his taxes online last year and it all went good
it was a headache for me to file my taxes without a SIN
I think yeah it's way better if he waits to get his SIN and after file for taxes unless you guys want to receive any benefits which require him to file his taxes too

Biny_1982

Star Member
Oct 28, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-11-2018
Med's Done....
14-02-2019
If he doesn't have a SIN by then, you should put his SIN as 9 zeros unless the software you use for filing taxes allows you to leave it blank ( you don't have to wait for his SIN if he doesn't have one ofcourse because you will have to file your taxes on time )
my spouse put 9 zeros because I don't have a SIN when he filed his taxes online last year and it all went good
it was a headache for me to file my taxes without a SIN
I think yeah it's way better if he waits to get his SIN and after file for taxes unless you guys want to receive any benefits which require him to file his taxes too
I spoke yesterday to an accountant over here and asked if my partner could claim me as a dependant seeing as I can't work yet because of not having the owp. His reply was that it isn't possible as a) im on a visitor visa, b) don't have a sin number which i will only receive once i have a valid owp. He said the case would be different if we were married as then I would receive a temporary tax number....

Im so confused right now.

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
I spoke yesterday to an accountant over here and asked if my partner could claim me as a dependant seeing as I can't work yet because of not having the owp. His reply was that it isn't possible as a) im on a visitor visa, b) don't have a sin number which i will only receive once i have a valid owp. He said the case would be different if we were married as then I would receive a temporary tax number....

Im so confused right now.
Why did he say if you were married then you would receive a temporary tax number? How? If a common law partner has children let's say and he/she wants to receive child benefits both common law partners should file for their taxes and if one partner doesn't have a SIN they should file for a temporary tax number
So common law partners should be able to apply for a temporary tax number too
Correct me if I'm wrong