+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***November 2018*** INLAND SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP

habraun

Jan 28, 2019
Hey there - I sponsored my husband (US citizen) in Nov, received AOR on Dec. 22nd. He applied for OWP at the same time. I have a couple questions:
  1. Can he travel while PR is pending? We would be travelling together by car to the US from Ontario.
  2. Can he travel to the US once he receives an OWP (but does not yet have a job).
  3. Applying for OHIP requires Approval in Principle. Approximately how long does this take?
Thanks for your help!

Cali14214

Star Member
Jul 18, 2018
Burlington
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
29-10--2018
Doc's Request.
30-10-2018
AOR Received.
17-11-2018
Hey there - I sponsored my husband (US citizen) in Nov, received AOR on Dec. 22nd. He applied for OWP at the same time. I have a couple questions:
  1. Can he travel while PR is pending? We would be travelling together by car to the US from Ontario.
  2. Can he travel to the US once he receives an OWP (but does not yet have a job).
  3. Applying for OHIP requires Approval in Principle. Approximately how long does this take?
Thanks for your help!
Hi, My husband travels back and forth from Ontario to NY to pick up his kids for the weekends. No issues yet, however it all depends on the questions asked and how you answer them I suppose. My husband gets more questions trying to get back into the US than he does coming back to Canada. He also has NEXUS. Because he doesn't need a visa or travel papers to enter Canada it is a pretty straight forward crossing. Once he has his OWP and a job for 6 months he can apply for OHIP. Otherwise it is a 3 month wait from AIP which is one of the last steps in the process. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Geno.uss

dj0010

Star Member
Jan 2, 2018
If the OP is out of status, applying for OWP won't give implied status, since having valid status is required in order to be even eligible. The application will be rejected outright. The OP needs to apply for restoration of status as a temporary resident, assuming 90 days hasn't passed since their status expired. Once restoration is approved, the OP can then apply for an OWP.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/restoration-status.html
Mine is a different story, my student permit will expire jan 31, 2019. We applied for visitor visa already last week. That gives me implied status? And can still apply for owp with pr? We just need to
Send out application before jan 31, coz the pilot study will end but hope not.

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
Mine is a different story, my student permit will expire jan 31, 2019. We applied for visitor visa already last week. That gives me implied status? And can still apply for owp with pr? We just need to
Send out application before jan 31, coz the pilot study will end but hope not.
Don't worry your situation is very much different
You are in status and you will have implied status after jan 31 and you will still be eligible for OWP okay just don't worry

Reactions: dj0010

Geno.uss

Champion Member
Nov 9, 2018
A www thank you so much have yourself a blessed day
Thank you, however, today is a shitty day for me, I'm moving out of my place to a new place and it's snowing like crazy :'(
OWP situation for you is going to be complicated since you are out of status, depends on CIC, they can return it or they can pause it until you get AIP which is at the end of the process as others stated here
Please call CIC and confirm

Last edited:

Emj1993

Oct 24, 2018
Inland application / Country of origin: Sierra Leone

PR application received:
November 15, 2018
OWP application received: November 8, 2018 according to Gckey
PR application linked: December 21, 2018
AOR received: December 22, 2018
OWP linked: December 27, 2018
MR: January 17, 2019
MR Done: January 26, 2019
MR passed: waiting
OWP: waiting
Hello @umarr.cole does your medical status on GCKey change from your action is required once it has been submitted?

Suze7982

Star Member
Jan 29, 2019
Alberta
I'm getting a little concerned after reading these posts.

Application rec'd 29th Nov confirmed with courier and Ecas...no AoR yet...