Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a Cell Biologist.
Yes you have to be very careful with the duties described in your reference letter. You need to match at least 80% of the duties described under the NOC code you are using to apply.
NOC 4011 seems to be for full university professors, for postdocs it is more NOC 4012 (our work permit often have this code). Since we are not teaching (most of us), we should not use 4012 as the duties will not match.

In your case NOC 2121 seems to be the most appropriate since it lists Microbiologists
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=2121
As you can see there are 9 main duties listed. You have to make sure that you reference letter matches 7 of them.

For example the second duty of 2121 is "Conduct research into the structure and functioning of human, animal and plant tissues and cells" the letter can mention that "Dr you studied the mechanisms by which bacterial cells proliferate in water piping systems or whatever"

Duty 8 is "May supervise biological technologists and technicians and other scientists": if you teach a technique to anyone in your lab, write it to address this duty, your PI can just write something generic like "Dr you was also involved in training/supervising technicians and/or graduate students in my laboratory..."

and you have to do this until you match 7 of the duties...

chandn

Star Member
Nov 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
20-1-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21/8/2013
Med's Done....
26/8/2013
Passport Req..
9 Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
24 oct 2013
LANDED..........
6 nov 2013
Hi Noidea4id

Thank you very much for the valuable information. I was thinking to use 4011.

However, as you said 2121 seems more appropriate for me.

Did you mention 'publish findings in scholarly journals or books ' as one of the duties in your submitted NOC (2121) as given in NOC 4011?

One more question about transcript and educational credentials. Do we need to send original transcript or notarized copy or just copies to CIC.

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks

noidea4id

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Chandn

Choose the NOC that fits best with your duties.
Yes, my boss mentioned ''publications in scientific journals'' as well, also ''presentations at international meetings'', even if not required for 2121.

I did not apply under the post-graduate stream so I did not earn my degrees in Canada, so I am not sure what to answer about your transcripts and credentials. Hopefully someone will answer this question.

jangad

Star Member
Sep 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SrNo. User ID Application Received Payment Taken AOR Received Medicals Requested Passport
Requested
1 gladaki 1 Nov 2012
2 Jangad 2 Nov 2012
3 alak008 2 Nov 2012
4 shanindia2007 -
5 zhang5 5 Nov 2012
6 abm36 -
7 bridge 5 Nov 2012

chandn

Star Member
Nov 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
20-1-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21/8/2013
Med's Done....
26/8/2013
Passport Req..
9 Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
24 oct 2013
LANDED..........
6 nov 2013
Hi Noidea4id

I also do not have any degree from Canada. I came here only as a postdoc fellow. So I guess i have to give the copies of certificate got outside Canada. Please clarify

Thanks

noidea4id

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Chandn:

If you did not graduate in Canada, then you cannot qualify for the CEC graduate stream, but you might have a chance for the worker stream.
If you have 24 months of full-time work (in Canada) within the last 36 months, then you are eligible for CEC.

It is expected that new rules will be unveiled early next year to lower the requirement to 12 months of work for the worker stream.

When did you start your postdoc?

chandn

Star Member
Nov 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
20-1-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21/8/2013
Med's Done....
26/8/2013
Passport Req..
9 Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
24 oct 2013
LANDED..........
6 nov 2013
Hi Noidea4id

Yes, I am applying in worker category as I will be completing two years on this job on 12 November 2012. I started my job on 12 November 2010.

I would like to submit the application before 20th November 2012. I will not wait for 2013.

Thanks

noidea4id

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great then you can apply soon.
Regarding diploma and transcripts you will not need them for CEC worker stream.

bahadur30

Mar 29, 2012
India
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - CPP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2013
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
File Transfer...
DID UPFRONT MEDICAL
Med's Request
22-06-2013
Med's Done....
22-06-2013
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2013
LANDED..........
18-12-2013
Anybody included Birth Certificate issued by Indian Consulate???

chandn

Star Member
Nov 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
20-1-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21/8/2013
Med's Done....
26/8/2013
Passport Req..
9 Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
24 oct 2013
LANDED..........
6 nov 2013
Hi Noidea4id

Thanks for your reply. I have prepared the reference latter matching the NOC dutiese. Please have look and give your suggestions. regarding the credential you mean i dont need to send any documents to show my educational details ?.

Dr. Chandn is here to conduct collaborative research in Microbiology and his main duties are listed as follows.

Conduct studies to understand the ecology of indicator and pathogenic bacteria in terms of their survival in source water.

Conduct studied to determine the mechanisms by which bacterial cells proliferate in water (thanks for this point)

Conduct molecular experiments to study the toxin gene expression potential of pathogenic bacteria in water under different environmental conditions.

Conduct studies on the detection and identification of bacterial pathogens from water and animal sources.

Conduct research to test and evaluate the antibiotic resistance profiles of pathogenic bacteria from water and other animal sources

Conduct research on the development of a rapid method for the detection and quantification of bacterial pathogens from water

Involved in supervising technician and undergraduate students in my laboratory

Conduct biostatistical data analysis using computer modelling techniques.

He is responsible to publish findings in scholarly journals and presentations at international scientific conferences

noidea4id

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Chandn,

The duties should not be listed like this in a reference letter, in general one has to avoid making the employment letter looking like a copy-paste of the duties. Instead try to get your boss to write ''a story'' that will cover the duties. For example, something like this below, this is a quick draft, I do not know your field so I cannot write it properly, but you get the idea about how it should look like:

Dr. Chandn joined my laboratory at (institute/university) as a Microbiologist. He started at this position on (date) and is still being employed as of today. His annual salary is $xx,xxx and is associated to the following benefits: (list benefits). He is employed full-time, working xx hours per week.

His main responsibilities and duties are to investigate the ecology of indicator and pathogenic bacteria in terms of their survival in source water. To this end, he is developing various protocols involving genetic and molecular studies to assess the presence and the activity of pathogenic bacteria in water under different environmental conditions. The relevance of his results will be demonstrated through computer-assisted biostatistical analysis. His work will contribute to the development of new biotechnological tools dedicated to the detection of pathogens or their toxins in water.
Dr. Chandn is also involved in training and supervising technicians and undergraduate students in my laboratory. Dr Chandn is responsible for the publication of his research findings in scientific journals as well as for their presentation at international meetings. (if you already published or presented, mention it).
(Then your boss can write here a few words of personal appreciation, like ‘’I personally believe Dr Chandn is an outstanding candidate for immigration to Canada... bla bla bla)
Sincerely,
Boss Signature, Position, address, phone, email, do not forget that the letter has to be written on a company letterhead.

NOC 2121 states:
Conduct research into the structure, function, ecology, biotechnology and genetics of micro-organisms, including bacteria, fungi, protozoans, and algae
Conduct research into the structure and functioning of human, animal and plant tissues and cells
Conduct studies into the identification, effects and control of human, plant and animal pathogens and toxins
Conduct clinical or laboratory studies to test, evaluate and screen drugs, pharmaceuticals and nanoparticles used in biomedical applications
Conduct molecular or biochemical studies and experiments in genetic expression, gene manipulation and recombinant DNA technology to develop new or alternative methods of producing products
Conduct research in biotechnology to discover, develop and refine, and evaluate new products
May participate in the commercialization of new products
May supervise biological technologists and technicians and other scientists
May conduct biostatistical data analysis using computer modelling techniques.

For your educational background, if I remember you do not have to provide copies of anything. Just in the forms you will have to fill the detail like when and where...

chandn

Star Member
Nov 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
20-1-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21/8/2013
Med's Done....
26/8/2013
Passport Req..
9 Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
24 oct 2013
LANDED..........
6 nov 2013
Hi Noidea4id

Thank you very much for your quick reply and finding time to edit the draft. Actually my prof. asked me to make a draft. I will work on it.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

chandn

Star Member
Nov 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
20-1-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21/8/2013
Med's Done....
26/8/2013
Passport Req..
9 Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
24 oct 2013
LANDED..........
6 nov 2013
Hi Noidea4id

Some more questions

In the Generic application for they have asked the current occupation. As the title of my Job is Postdoctoral Fellow I think i have to use Postdoctoral fellow.

Do you have any diffident opinion? Should I use Microbiologist or Postdoctoral Fellow in Microbiology?

In the reference letter can i use like Dr. Chandn is employed as a postdoctoral Fellow in Microbiology? or as you mentioned just Microbiologist?.

Schedule 8: Economic Classes – Canadian Experience Class [IMM 0008 SCHEDULE 8] there are two question 5 (a and b) as follows

5 (a) I am a recipient of a Canada government scholarship or award that require that I return to home country following the completion of the degree

Yes or No

5 (b) I am a recipient of a Canada government scholarship or award that require that I return to home country following the completion of the degree, but I have satisfied the terms of the scholarship or Award

Yes or No

My answer fro A is NO

As it is mentioned no column should be leave blank what should i put in 5(b)

Hope to here from you

Thanks

noidea4id

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Chandn,

Since my boss wrote Cell Biologist in the employment letter, I used Cell Biologist for the generic application form as well to stay consistent. For the reference letter, my boss just used ''Cell Biologist''
I would not use Postdoctoral Fellow, but Microbiologist for both the letter and the forms.

For question 5(b), my form was different and I did not have these questions, I guess the form has been updated. I do not know what you should answer here...

Maybe we should create a ''Postdoc thread'' to get more visibility.

chandn

Star Member
Nov 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
20-1-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21/8/2013
Med's Done....
26/8/2013
Passport Req..
9 Oct 2013
VISA ISSUED...
24 oct 2013
LANDED..........
6 nov 2013
Okay. I will start that thread.

If i Use Microbiologist in the form and reference letter do you think there will be any problem because on my work permit it is written as University professor in the occupation section.

Please tell me what is on your work permit you too came Canada as a Postdoctoral Fellow?

Thanks