+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***** NOTICE OF ASSESSMENT (16 - 20 WEEKS) - WHAT TO DO ???

CanInd1234

Star Member
Feb 9, 2016
Hi Members,

As part of sponsoring my wife, I have to attach "Option C Printout". I can only ask for "Option C printout" after I have letter of assessment. I have not filed taxes so far, this will be my first time filing it.

I had a word with CRA executive and she told me that for 1st timer tax payer/filing - it will take 16-20 weeks to generate letter of assessment.

Does that mean I wait for so long before I submit my application, is there a faster alternative ?

Please help

user1111

Star Member
Jan 12, 2016
Just to speed it up, i will suggest you following things

If you are in Canada from more than last one year then , Only file last year's tax first ()and do e-filing), so that processing only one year take less time than processing multiple years. And you obviously need last year's. It is possible to do the past years after you get assessment for 2014.

Now second step will be, create account at My Cra. They will send security code in 5 to 10 business days. So by the time the assessment will be done, you will have security code and you can download notice of assessment and option c from online account. you don't have to wait for another couple weeks in mail.

And regarding processing time, It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks if it is straight forward T4.

CanInd1234

Star Member
Feb 9, 2016
I have been in canada for more than 1 year now. but the thing is I have not paid tax in Canada. because of this I will be considered paying tax as "1st Time tax payer" (be it this year or last year) which as per my information takes 16-20 weeks to process.

correct me if I am wrong, and please help.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
CanInd1234 said:
I have been in canada for more than 1 year now. but the thing is I have not paid tax in Canada. because of this I will be considered paying tax as "1st Time tax payer" (be it this year or last year) which as per my information takes 16-20 weeks to process.

correct me if I am wrong, and please help.
Last year was the first time I filed my tax and I filed online (even though they said you could not file online). It took literally 2 weeks to get my refund. And I used an online software - Turbotax. It's simple and easy to use, even for a newcomer. CRA starts accepting 2015 filing on Feb 15, 2016. I am curious why this would be your first time to file your tax if you have been in Canada for some time?

You could perhaps phone CIC regarding not having Option C as you have not filed tax before. There are other things you could show such as payslips for the last 12 months, letter from your employer and a note explaining your situation.

*Mandie*

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
user1111 said:
Now second step will be, create account at My Cra. They will send security code in 5 to 10 business days. So by the time the assessment will be done, you will have security code and you can download notice of assessment and option c from online account. you don't have to wait for another couple weeks in mail.
Only CRA can mail out the Option C form. Again, some people just printed out their tax assessment from their CRA online account and they were approved by CIC.

*Mandie*

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CanInd1234 said:
Hi Members,

As part of sponsoring my wife, I have to attach "Option C Printout". I can only ask for "Option C printout" after I have letter of assessment. I have not filed taxes so far, this will be my first time filing it.

I had a word with CRA executive and she told me that for 1st timer tax payer/filing - it will take 16-20 weeks to generate letter of assessment.

Does that mean I wait for so long before I submit my application, is there a faster alternative ?
Hi

Just include a letter of explanation stating that because you are new to Canada, you have not yet filed taxes and therefore cannot provide an Option C. This will be perfectly fine; many others in your situation have done this as well. CIC understands that some people can't provide the Option C, which is why the checklist states "If you do not provide this printout, provide an explanation on a separate sheet of paper".

ALMALL

Feb 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2015
Doc's Request.
15-04-2016
AOR Received.
29-01-2016
File Transfer...
8-2-2016
Med's Request
2-2-2016 received
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2016 on transit
Option C is mandatory requirement in filling sponsorship. I guest there is no way but to wait for your Option C as the CRA is thw only agency can issue it.. CIC dont accept notice of assessment.

CanInd1234

Star Member
Feb 9, 2016
Hi ALMALL,

As canuck_in_uk suggested above, I understand it would be good to go ahead without "Options C", and including a letter of explanation why it's not there. instead of waiting for 4-5 months.

if this is a normal practice, I would probably go ahead without "Option C". correct me if I am wrong.

ALMALL

Feb 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2015
Doc's Request.
15-04-2016
AOR Received.
29-01-2016
File Transfer...
8-2-2016
Med's Request
2-2-2016 received
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2016 on transit
CanInd1234 said:
Hi ALMALL,

As canuck_in_uk suggested above, I understand it would be good to go ahead without "Options C", and including a letter of explanation why it's not there. instead of waiting for 4-5 months.

if this is a normal practice, I would probably go ahead without "Option C". correct me if I am wrong.
You can try my friend there is no harm in trying.. Just think positive..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CanInd1234 said:
As I said above, many others have done this, usually new PRs who have only just got to Canada and haven't yet filed taxes and Canadians who have lived outside of Canada for years. Include the explanation letter and there will be no issue.

CanInd1234

Star Member
Feb 9, 2016
mandiebraxton said:
I am curious why this would be your first time to file your tax if you have been in Canada for some time?
I arrived in canada in late dec-2014 (15 months back to be specific), out of these 15 months I was in India for 4 months. for remaining 11 months, I just received scholarships for 9 months. Therefore, did't had much to declare.

vehla_ji

Star Member
Jun 20, 2014
Calgary AB Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
20 march 15
Gor for USER1111 advice and i agree with him.

create account at My Cra. They will send security code in 5 to 10 business days. So by the time the assessment will be done, you will have security code and you can download notice of assessment and option c from online account. you don't have to wait for another couple weeks in mail.

And regarding processing time, It usually takes 3 to 4 weeks if it is straight forward T4.

here is link for register http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/psssrvcs/gtnln/nfgrphc1-eng.html

Need more help ask me. i'm doing taxes for 7 years now.