+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notes from Discover Canada - Preparation for the Citizenship Test

citizentest21

Nov 30, 2021

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Got it. Thank you!!
Are they very picky about the photo ID taken in the beginning? Ive heard people receiving 20/20 but just because the picture was not proper, they asked to do a retest?
Not "very" picky. The purpose of the ID is to verify your identity. If the image you submitted was so blurred that they couldn't even see the name and DOB on it, then yes, they might send you an invite for a retest. Doesn't happen too often though.

Shamon

Star Member
Feb 5, 2012
Hi All,
I passed my exam on 06-Dec and still waiting for its status to be changed to "Complete" (Almost 16 days and still waiting :( )...Is this normal? Is there anyone like me?

applicant2021

Star Member
Jun 12, 2021
I just finished my citizenship test. I passed. I just realized that I had my email open as well as the letter I got from CIC as I was copying my app # and UCI from it. I forgot to close them because I was kind of stressed. I didn't look at any materials during the test or switch tabs/windows. Is that ok or will that cause a problem?

Shamon

Star Member
Feb 5, 2012
Really funny.. its been four weeks since I passed the exam and it is still showing in progress...Frustrated :(

drkobra

Jan 3, 2022
Introduction
  • Sources of Canadian Law = laws passed by Parliament and the provincial legislatures, English common law, the civil code of France and the unwritten constitution that we have inherited from Great Britain
  • Combined all above = Magna Carta / Great Charter of Freedoms (1215 AD)
  • Habeas corpus = Right to challenge unlawful detention by the state (English Common Law)
  • Constitution of Canada amended to include Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (1982)
  • Fundamental freedoms + Additional rights
  • Mobility rights, Aboriginal People's Rights, Official Language Rights and Minority Language Educational Rights, Multiculturalism
  • Responsibilities = Obeying the law, taking responsibility for oneself and one’s family, serving on jury, Voting, Volunteering, Protecting/Enjoying heritage and environment
  • Defending Canada = foreces.ca / cadets.ca for young people

History of Canada (Part 1 / 2)
  • Peace, Order, and Good Government comes from British North America Act (1867)
  • Songwriters called Canada "Great Dominion"
  • Founding peoples = Aboriginal, French, British
  • Aboriginal people migrated from Asia thousands of years ago.
  • Territorial rights were first guaranteed through the Royal Proclamation of 1763 by King George III
  • 1800 - 1980 => Aboriginal children in residential schools, Schools were poorly funded, students abused, Aboriginal language and cultural practices were prohibited. In 2008, Ottawa formally apologized to former students.
  • Aboriginal people = 3 groups | First Nations (65%), Metis (30%), Inuit (4%)
  • 'Indian' refers to all Aboriginal people who are not Inuit or Métis. Term no longer used. Now they are called 'First Nations'.
  • About half of First Nations people live on reserve land in about 600 communities | Remaining off the reserve in urban centers
  • Inuit, means "The People" in Inuktitut language live in Arctic. Knowledgeable about land, sea, wildlife
  • Metis = people of mixed Aboriginal and European ancestry. Majority in Prairie provinces. Their dialect = Michif (French + English speaking backgrounds).
  • John Buchan | 1st Baron Tweedsmuir | popular Governor General of Canada (1935-40) | Said "Immigrant groups should retain their individuality and each make its contribution to the national character." at Canadian Club of Halifax, 1937.
  • Today, Anglophones = 18 million, 7 million Francophones (majority live in Quebec) - 1 million live in Ontario, NB & Manitoba
  • NB is the only official bilingual province
  • Acadians = descendants of French colonists, began settling in the Maritime provinces in 1604.
  • Between 1755 and 1763 (war b/w Britain and France), 2/3rd of Acadians were deported from their homeland. This is known as "Great Upheaval".
  • Quebecers = People of Quebec (French speaking majority). Descendants of 8500 French settlers
  • The House of Commons recognized in 2006 that the Quebecois form a nation within a united Canada.
  • One million Anglo-Quebecers have a heritage of 250 years | vibrant part of Quebec fabric
  • basic way of life in English-speaking areas established by English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish settlers, soldiers and migrants from the 1600s to 20th century
  • Canada = "Land of immigrants"
  • From 1970s, most immigrants have come from Asian countries.
  • Chinese is second most 2nd most spoken at home.
  • Vancouver = 13% speak Chinese at home | Toronto = 7% speak Chinese at home
  • Majority of Canadians = Christians
  • Canada's diversity includes gay, lesbian | All protection under the law including marriage
  • Marjorie Turner-Bailey of Nova Scotia = Olympian, descendant of black Loyalists, escaped slaves & free men, fled to Canada in 1780s from America.
  • Huron-Wendat of the Great Lakes region, like the Iroquois = farmers and hunters
  • Cree and Dene of the Northwest = hunter-gatherers
  • Sioux = Nomadic, following bison herds.
  • Inuit = Lived off Arctic wildlife
  • West Coast natives = preserved fish by drying and smoking
  • Warfare was common among Aboriginal groups for resources, land & prestige
  • Many aboriginals died because of European diseases they didn't have immunity to
  • Vikings from Iceland, colonized Greenland 1000 years go reached Newfoundland & Labrador
  • The remains of their settlement L’Anse aux Meadows = World heritage site
  • European exploration began 1497
  • John Cabot = first to draw a map of Canada’s East Coast.
  • Jacques Cartier, voyages across Atlantic, claiming land for King Francis I of France
  • Jacques Cartier = first European to explore St. Lawrence River, set eyes on present-day Québec City & Montreal
  • Iroquoian word 'Kanata' means village
  • By 1550s, name "Canada" began appearing on maps
  • Samuel de Champlain = In 1608, built a fortress in Quebec City
  • French and the Iroquois made peace in 1701
  • French and Aboriginal people collaborated in the vast fur-trade economy, demand for beaver pelts in Europe
  • Jean Talon, Bishop Laval, and Count Frontenac built a French Empire from Hudson Bay to the Gulf of Mexico
  • Sir Guy Carleton (Lord Dorchester) defeated American invasion of Quebec in 1775
  • King Charles II of England = In 1670, granted Hudson’s Bay Company exclusive trading rights over the watershed draining into Hudson Bay
  • Voyageurs / coureurs des bois = Montreal-based traders | men who travelled by canoe | formed strong alliances with First Nations
  • Battle of the Plains of Abraham at Québec City = 1759 | British defeated French marking the end of France’s empire in America
  • Commander of both Armies (Brigadier James Wolfe and the Marquis de Montcalm) were killed in the war
  • After the war, Britain renamed the colony the “Province of Quebec.”
  • Canadiens / Habitants = French speaking Catholic people
  • Quebec Act = 1774 | Passed by British parliament | allowed religious freedom for Catholics and permitted them to hold public office
  • Quebec Act restored French civil law while maintaining British criminal law
  • In 1776, 13 British colonies to the south of Quebec declared independence and formed the United States.
  • People loyal to the Crown = “Loyalists" fled oppression and moved to Nova Scotia and Quebec
  • Joseph Brant led thousands of Loyalist Mohawk Indians to Canada
  • In 1792, some black Nova Scotians were given poor land, moved on to establish Freetown, Sierra Leone
Sharing my notes, please host as you deem best. Don't know how to upload to the forum.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1X1QuFzdtEiONuSQa72PXnXDgNqJcT6BK?usp=sharing

Em de Ville

Aug 7, 2021
App. Filed.......
10-10-2020
AOR Received.
29-01-2021
File Transfer...
15-03-2021
Does anyone use ipad on the test? I have no personal computer, what i have is office computer, which i have no access on my personal email. On top of that my office computer has its own VPN.

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone use ipad on the test? I have no personal computer, what i have is office computer, which i have no access on my personal email. On top of that my office computer has its own VPN.
I think the instructions specifically say not to do it on ipad. And also not to use vpn. If you can borrow a laptop from someone it would be worth the effort.

Em de Ville

Aug 7, 2021
App. Filed.......
10-10-2020
AOR Received.
29-01-2021
File Transfer...
15-03-2021
I think the instructions specifically say not to do it on ipad. And also not to use vpn. If you can borrow a laptop from someone it would be worth the effort.
I read the instruction again and it says, can use desktop, laptop, tablet.
Is ipad not a tablet?
It only said that google chrome cannot be used on ipad, which is fine because ipad use safari.
Im confused.

Last edited: