+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notes from Discover Canada - Preparation for the Citizenship Test

msatishxp

Jul 30, 2013
Hi, I have one more query related to the test. While taking the picture of my photo id, I had to stand and take the picture as it was clearly stated that face shouldn't be visible. Though my face wasn't visible at all, some part of me like my t-shirt was visible. Would that be ok?

bakshivishal

May 6, 2014
I have couple of queries on the test:
1. How many questions are there around names of current politicians from your district or house of commons? I have seen those questions in some exams on the web.
2. Similar question on naming people from the discover Canada guide, ex: who ran marathon.

Thanks,
Vishal

Last edited:

mrbreizh

Star Member
Jun 11, 2021
Gents,

I have noted some outdated info in the booklet.
Canada population noted 34 millions - now 38 millions
BC population noted 4 millions - now 5 millions

I passed a couple of training tests a got wrong responses - population of Canada (I choose 38 millions and it was wrong) and population of BC (5 millions was wrong too)

Any advises regarding this issue? It's very confusing...

Reactions: canadiantica15

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
Gents,

I passed a couple of training tests a got wrong responses - population of Canada (I choose 38 millions and it was wrong) and population of BC (5 millions was wrong too)

Go by what's in the actual Discover Canada guide.

Reactions: mrbreizh

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
Gents,

Bonjour cher ami breton ( breizh ).

Comme je l'ai relevé précédemment dans ce même fil, ce site semble être mis à jour constamment, fiez vous à lui, en ce qui concerne les tests pour s'entrainer, mais également pour les cours pour réviser:

http://www.devienscitoyen.ca/quiz

http://www.devienscitoyen.ca/guide

Reactions: mrbreizh

mrbreizh

Star Member
Jun 11, 2021
Go by what's in the actual Discover Canada guide.
Thank you. Very confusing that population counts aren't up to date...
BC is short by 1 million,
ON by 2.5 millions
and Canada by 4 millions

But only the book is right ;)

mrbreizh

Star Member
Jun 11, 2021
Bonjour cher ami breton ( breizh ).

Comme je l'ai relevé précédemment dans ce même fil, ce site semble être mis à jour constamment, fiez vous à lui, en ce qui concerne les tests pour s'entrainer, mais également pour les cours pour réviser:

http://www.devienscitoyen.ca/quiz

http://www.devienscitoyen.ca/guide
Merci beaucoup
J'ai deja fais (2 fois) toute cette serie de questions directement sur le site de Richmond Library
https://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018
Hi, I want to give an update that I completed my test and scored 20/20. However, I'm a bit worried about the picture of my drivers license as it was blurry. Some of the biographical information like date of birth was not properly visible though I suppose my name and license number was somewhat visible.

Also, I went out of my room in order to call my lawyer in the middle of taking a picture of my id (after many failed attempts) as my cellphone was in another room. But it was prior to starting the actual test.

So considering these things, I want to ask what are my chances of getting my test. Also how long will it take to surely know that IRCC has approved my test?
Congrats, any tips on how to prepare? TIA

RoseDB

Star Member
Jul 15, 2017
Hi All,

I see my status updated to "take the citizenship test between Oct 21 and Nov 7, waiting on you".
However, as of today that is 18th Oct (10:00 pm) I have not received any email from @cic.gc.ca. I did check the spam.

Did anyone had same situation as I. Any estimates when can I expect the email invitation?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi All,

I see my status updated to "take the citizenship test between Oct 21 and Nov 7, waiting on you".
However, as of today that is 18th Oct (10:00 pm) I have not received any email from @cic.gc.ca. I did check the spam.

Did anyone had same situation as I. Any estimates when can I expect the email invitation?
Wrong thread. Please post your question on the appropriate month-wise thread. However, I'll answer it this one time - You might receive an email tomorrow.

This thread is intended for discussion about the content of the Discover Canada book and sample tests.

dan1509

Apr 1, 2020
I have couple of queries on the test:
1. How many questions are there around names of current politicians from your district or house of commons? I have seen those questions in some exams on the web.
2. Similar question on naming people from the discover Canada guide, ex: who ran marathon.

Thanks,
Vishal
Zero in mine to number one. Dont worry about them asking super specific questions, they won't

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Folks, I completed the test recently and thought of sharing some insight on the process and some useful tips that might help others.

Prep work:

Browser

• I used Google Chrome (Safari is also ok)
  • I uninstalled all the add-ons/plug-ins like Adblock, Popup Blocker, VPN etc. from the browser (use a clean version of the browser if possible)
  • Make sure no other tabs are open during the test
  • Clear all cookies and temp files from your browser & system (I use Ccleaner)
  • If you have an external Camera plugged in, make sure to allow this camera to access your browser (usually there is a popup)
  • Check if your camera is working fine by running a test using some of these links; https://webcamtests.com/check or https://webcammictest.com
Internet/Wifi

I have a shared wifi so I didn’t want to take any chances.
  • I use a laptop without a Ethernet port so I purchased a “Ethernet to USB” converter from Amazon (~ $17).
  • If you don’t have a ethernet cable you can purchase this from Amazon for about $12-20 depending on length.
  • I turned on hotspot on the cellphone as a backup incase there is an outage.
  • If you get disconnected during the test you can resume back however the timer will keep running once you have commenced.
Once I had the adapter, plugged it to the laptop and the other end of the ethernet cable into the modem directly and ran a speed test and there were no lags/jitter. Worked like a charm.

I did this additional step to ensure there are no interruptions as Wifi can be intermittent and I have read articles and posts of people whose tests were invalidated due to technical glitches or the photo of ID not being legible. I rather spend $20-$30 on ensuring a stable connection rather than the headache of redoing the test.

Test/Registration

There are about 9 steps in the process, once you enter your credentials you will be emailed a test link. 2 of the steps involve taking photo of your ID(PR card, DL etc).

This was the most time consuming step for me as you only get 15 mins to complete the registration steps from the time the link is emailed to you. If you take more time in getting a clearer photo of the ID, don’t worry, you can restart the steps and you will get a new link. You can try multiple times until you get a clear photo.

Photo of ID & Yourself

I have a very basic built in webcam so the photo quality was not great however I took some steps to get a clear photo. It is not possible to get a 100% clear photo with a basic webcam but as long as most of the text is clear and legible and photo on the ID is clear, you should be good.
  • Avoid light facing your back from behind as this will cause a glare on your screen and Photo of the ID
  • Avoid bright light facing you from the front as this will also cause a glare.
  • Try to be in a moderately bright room with natural light if possible.
  • Practise taking photos with your camera on the laptop/PC and on the webcam test sites mentioned above.
  • Make sure your background is clear of any objects or items/personal effects as much as possible.
  • I turned around with my back facing the wall so the background was clear with only me in sight.
Test

The test was relatively straightforward for the most part, I would say 16 questions were easy and around 4 were tricky.
  • There was nothing pertaining to names of local politicians.
  • You might be asked about what the resources the provinces are known for.
  • You might be asked about the series of historial events (which happened first or last)

For the preparation I started early even before I got the test invite so I had sufficient lead time. I read Discover Canada twice, practised tests on Apna Toronto, Toronto Public Library and Richmond public library and some of the tests mentioned in this thread.

After doing multiple practise tests I would say there were 2 questions which were like a curve ball and not anticipated for me that the practise tests did not cover.

Once the test is over your results are displayed right away. You have the option to email your test results, this is not automatically emailed. I would highly recommend emailing yourself the result for reference.

That was it, hope this helps those who are going to take the test. Good luck!

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Folks, I completed the test recently and thought of sharing some insight on the process and some useful tips that might help others.

Prep work:

Browser

• I used Google Chrome (Safari is also ok)
  • I uninstalled all the add-ons/plug-ins like Adblock, Popup Blocker, VPN etc. from the browser (use a clean version of the browser if possible)
  • Make sure no other tabs are open during the test
  • Clear all cookies and temp files from your browser & system (I use Ccleaner)
  • If you have an external Camera plugged in, make sure to allow this camera to access your browser (usually there is a popup)
  • Check if your camera is working fine by running a test using some of these links; https://webcamtests.com/check or https://webcammictest.com
Internet/Wifi

I have a shared wifi so I didn’t want to take any chances.
  • I use a laptop without a Ethernet port so I purchased a “Ethernet to USB” converter from Amazon (~ $17).
  • If you don’t have a ethernet cable you can purchase this from Amazon for about $12-20 depending on length.
  • I turned on hotspot on the cellphone as a backup incase there is an outage.
  • If you get disconnected during the test you can resume back however the timer will keep running once you have commenced.
Once I had the adapter, plugged it to the laptop and the other end of the ethernet cable into the modem directly and ran a speed test and there were no lags/jitter. Worked like a charm.

I did this additional step to ensure there are no interruptions as Wifi can be intermittent and I have read articles and posts of people whose tests were invalidated due to technical glitches or the photo of ID not being legible. I rather spend $20-$30 on ensuring a stable connection rather than the headache of redoing the test.

Test/Registration

There are about 9 steps in the process, once you enter your credentials you will be emailed a test link 2 of which involve taking photo of your ID(PR card, DL etc).

This was the most time consuming step for me as you only get 15 mins to complete the registration steps from the time the link is emailed to you. If you take more time in getting a clearer photo of the ID, don’t worry, you can restart the steps and you will get a new link. You can try multiple times until you get a clear photo.

Photo of ID & Yourself

I have a very basic built in webcam so the photo quality was not great however I took some steps to get a clear photo. It is not possible to get a 100% clear photo with a basic webcam but as long as most of the text is clear and legible and photo on the ID is clear, you should be good.
  • Avoid light facing your back from behind as this will cause a glare on your screen and Photo of the ID
  • Avoid bright light facing you from the front as this will also cause a glare.
  • Try to be in a moderately bright room with natural light if possible.
  • Practise taking photos with your camera on the laptop/PC and on the webcam test sites mentioned above.
  • Make sure your background is clear of any objects or items/personal effects as much as possible.
  • I turned around with my back facing the wall so the background was clear with only me in sight.
Test

The test was relatively straightforward for the most part, I would say 16 questions were easy and around 4 were tricky.
  • There was nothing pertaining to names of local politicians.
  • You might be asked about what the resources the provinces are known for.
  • You might be asked about the series of historial events (which happened first or last)

For the preparation I started early even before I got the test invite so I had sufficient lead time. I read Discover Canada twice, practised tests on Apna Toronto, Toronto Public Library and Richmond public library and some of the tests mentioned in this thread.

After doing multiple practise tests I would say there were 2 questions which were like a curve ball and not anticipated for me that the practise tests did not cover.

Once the tests is over your results are displayed right away. You have the option to email your test results, this is not automatically emailed. I would highly recommend emailing yourself the result for reference.

That was it, hope this helps those who are going to take the test. Good luck!
Good job! Thank you for writing this, this will help other people!

Reactions: royce110

khurrambhatti

Star Member
May 31, 2014
Toronto - Canada
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-11-2014
File Transfer...
10-02-2015
Med's Request
18-08-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2015
Passport Req..
10-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2015
LANDED..........
01-05-2016
Done with the test with 20/20 score. Thanks @rajkamalmohanram . Almost everything came from your notes. Thank you so much for your effort.

Reactions: Genesis76