+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notarise documents?

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tynen said:
I'm assuming the 2 statutory declaration needs to be written by the declarants (friends/family) affirming and supporting me and my partners relationship?
Correct: describing the relationship over the period during which they have known you both. So, if you are applying as common law, for at least one year, but the longer the better.

Tynen

Star Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Zealand
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2015
AOR Received.
27-01-2016
File Transfer...
30-01-2016
Med's Done....
05-11-2015
wowsers said:
Correct: describing the relationship over the period during which they have known you both. So, if you are applying as common law, for at least one year, but the longer the better.
Do I have to be present with the declarant, if we are getting it signed and witnessed at a public notary? Or can they just get it signed and send it back to us after?

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I understand that you are in Australia. I know nothing of Australian law. If you were in England or Wales you would not need to be present at the signing. You would simply hand the document to the declarant and tell him/her to take it to a solicitor to get it signed (promising to pay the fee on his behalf!) I see that you are still referring to a notary (or rather 'public notary'). I am not going to enter further into that issue. Find out first whether you need to go to a 'public notary'. That would surprise me but I do not claim any knowledge of Australian legal procedure. A statutory declaration suffices, In the UK it is cheaper and easier and it is all that is required by CIC. That is all that I provided for my application and I sailed through!

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
wowsers said:
Good to hear that someone has such faith in lawyers! After 50 years in practice as a lawyer I read that as if it were music to my ears! A pity that what he was told is wrong.
My sister in-law is an excellent lawyer, so yes I trust her advice :) To be fair on her what she said was declarations documents going out of province in Canada should be witnessed/certified by a notary (in other words a lawyer). That last bit was my interpretation...

In Australia (well Victoria at least) the list of people who can witness a statutory declaration is quite extensive (includes occupations such as chartered accountants, police, doctors, engineers and pharmacists) but it was my understanding that they can only witness the declaration if it is being used in Victoria, anything going outside of Victoria especially to another country should meet the requirements of that state/country. I'm not a lawyer, but that seems logical.

Tynen

Star Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Zealand
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2015
AOR Received.
27-01-2016
File Transfer...
30-01-2016
Med's Done....
05-11-2015
Thats the only confusing part, I live in NSW and I am not sure If a Justice of Peace would be recognized outside of Australia...which is why im assuming the notary is the place to go

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tynen said:
Thats the only confusing part, I live in NSW and I am not sure If a Justice of Peace would be recognized outside of Australia...which is why im assuming the notary is the place to go
My last contribution to this thread. Via Google I have discovered that the Immigrant's Documents Checklist relevant to Australia is for present purposes identical to the requirements of the checklist relevant to the UK. It requires two 'statutory declarations' (that is a quotation, from the Australian list). You definitely do not need to get the document 'notarized'. If you Google 'Statutory Declarations Australia' you will find the same information I have found which is that the relevant Australian Act is the Statutory Declarations Act 1959, which requires that the declaration be made in front of one of a long list of persons (incidentally including a licensed chiropractor, number 1 in the list) but also includes a Justice of the Peace. The list includes a notary public but you do not need to go before a notary public unless you feel particularly wealthy and profligate. In the UK certifying important documents is their only function and since that forms part of their livelihood their fees will be commensurate!