+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not yet landed. Do I need PR Card before I travel outside Canada.

manche585

Mar 24, 2015
I received my COPR and IM-1 visa but haven't landed in Canada yet. I am not planning to move to Canada immediately, I have a job in the US and plan to hold that job till I find one in Canada. Also, I am from Nepal, therefore I require a visa to enter Canada.

Can I land in Canada, start my application for the PR card and then leave without receiving the PR card yet. My brother lives in Canada, I can have him send me the card. The issue is I probably need to come to Canada for a few days in the near future for a job interview. This would only require a short visit.

I also have a multiple entry tourist visa, that I am not sure is still valid after the IM-1 visa was stamped in my passport.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
manche585 said:
I received my COPR and IM-1 visa but haven't landed in Canada yet. I am not planning to move to Canada immediately, I have a job in the US and plan to hold that job till I find one in Canada. Also, I am from Nepal, therefore I require a visa to enter Canada.

Can I land in Canada, start my application for the PR card and then leave without receiving the PR card yet. My brother lives in Canada, I can have him send me the card. The issue is I probably need to come to Canada for a few days in the near future for a job interview. This would only require a short visit.

I also have a multiple entry tourist visa, that I am not sure is still valid after the IM-1 visa was stamped in my passport.
Yes, you can give your brothers address when you officially land as a PR. When your brother receives the PR card, he can then courier it to you in the US.

All your visas will be voided as soon as you land as a PR. If you are traveling without your PR card you will need to enter Canada by a car, or if flying you'll need a PR Travel Document obtained from a US visa office. Once you get the physical PR card though, you can come and go from Canada as often as you like.

denver

Aug 20, 2015
Hello There,,

We are also in the same boat. when are you planning to short land ? and return to US.

manche585

Mar 24, 2015
@Rob_TO Thanks! Just to clarify, I can re-enter Canada by land without a PR card even if I need a visa?

@denver Not sure yet. Probably sometime in January.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
manche585 said:
@Rob_TO Thanks! Just to clarify, I can re-enter Canada by land without a PR card even if I need a visa?
Yes. If you are a PR, you do not need a visa when travelling by car through a land border.

With just your passport and landing papers, CBSA will be able to determine your PR status even if you don't have the card.

Michal

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
AOR Received.
15-11-2015
IELTS Request
Never
Med's Done....
July 2015
Passport Req..
04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2015
Rob_TO said:
Yes. If you are a PR, you do not need a visa when travelling by car through a land border.

With just your passport and landing papers, CBSA will be able to determine your PR status even if you don't have the card.
What if I wanted to travel outside Canada and come back before receiving the PR card? Can I fly in? Do I need a travel document from Canadian Embassy?

One more question-I received COPR 3 weeks ago. I am from a visa exempt country - I understand I need the COPR, a passport, proof of funds when landing in Canada - anything else? Will I be issued any paperwork/docs at the border?
Thanks!