+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not sure about education points - should I apply? Need advice!

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
Hi all,
sorry if this topic was discussed before, i just would like to ensure I understand everything correctly.
I have a 5-year first degree from Russia, but I suppose it counts as Bachelor. and I am sure to finish my Masters in Canada in May. I have 18.5 years of full-time education. So here are 2 questions:

1. Do I have a chance to get 25 or 22 points for education if I provide the letter explaining that I will have the degree in hand in May? Should such a letter be from the Department or my own explanations would suffice?

2. In case I get only 20 points, I will have 66 in total, one point short of the pass mark.
2.1 In case an officer will start doing the initial assessment BEFORE I get the degree, can I expect that he/she will wait till May and give me 25 points?
2.2 If not, and I get only 20 points, are they more likely to call me for an interview or reject the application right away? What happens more often?
2.3Does it make sense to apply in January, b/c they might not make a decision till May anyway? Or do I have more chance if I apply with the degree in hand?

Any advice/experience sharing appreciated!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kisunja said:
Hi all,
sorry if this topic was discussed before, i just would like to ensure I understand everything correctly.
I have a 5-year first degree from Russia, but I suppose it counts as Bachelor. and I am sure to finish my Masters in Canada in May. I have 18.5 years of full-time education. So here are 2 questions:

1. Do I have a chance to get 25 or 22 points for education if I provide the letter explaining that I will have the degree in hand in May? Should such a letter be from the Department or my own explanations would suffice?

2. In case I get only 20 points, I will have 66 in total, one point short of the pass mark.
2.1 In case an officer will start doing the initial assessment BEFORE I get the degree, can I expect that he/she will wait till May and give me 25 points?
2.2 If not, and I get only 20 points, are they more likely to call me for an interview or reject the application right away? What happens more often?
2.3Does it make sense to apply in January, b/c they might not make a decision till May anyway? Or do I have more chance if I apply with the degree in hand?

Any advice/experience sharing appreciated!

Извините, если эта тема уже поднималась, но у меня вопрос по баллам за (пока) незаконченное образование.
Я в апреле заканчиваю последний семестр в канадской магистратуре, это будет 19-й год непрерывного обучения.
Давали ли кому-то в подобной ситуации 25, или хотя бы 22 балла (за 19 лет :)) за образование? Поможет ли письмо с объяснением, что это последний семестр и в начале мая справка об окончании обучения будет у меня на руках? (сам диплом/degree certificate выдадут только в ноябре, к сожалению :( )
Я хочу подаваться в январе, но если мне дадут только 20 баллов (бакалавриат), то у меня будет недобор одного балла.
Будет ли посольство ждать с принятием решения до апреля, или, добравшись до моих документов, скажем, в марте, плюнут на объяснение, насчитают 66 баллов и выпишут отказ? Можно ли будет с такмо случае (или заранее) запросить substituted evaluation?
Спасибо!
1. You have to meet the criteria at the time of application. If you wish to receive points for your Masters, wait until you have it.
2. Nope if they do the assessment, and as you would have only 66 points, the officer would just refuse.
3. If you don't meet the points, it is unlikely that you would get an interview.

PMM

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
Thanks, PMM!
I knew people from my university who applied with masters degree in progress, but then just faxed it when they were done and got through. Well, I guess I need to see the new timing in Buffalo and plan accordingly...
and sorry for not deleting stuff in my language :)

Jun 30, 2015
Hi I have two masters...

I have sent the transcripts of one set of Masters and the Bachelors to WES. The transcript to the second Masters is proving elusive. Should I modify my WES order and go ahead with the WES evaluation or should I try harder to get the transcript to the second masters. I mean, would the second Masters mean getting more points or would 25 points be the max for any number of Masters... TIA