+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not met three years experience ( cic gave me 11 points)

janeloveeasy

Star Member
Aug 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I still need one more month of experience. I started to work on my first job July 24 and ended previous job in June 30. I think I have not met three years experience requirement,but CIC gave me 11 points today. I am not too excited about this because I know the next step after invitation is the more important, to demonstrate the facts of work experience.

What should I do? ;D

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since the EE system doesn't have date granularity, such discrepancies are to be expected. Under such circumstances, the onus is on the applicant to consciously acknowledge that they do not deserve these additional points till a 'certain' date in the month. Worst case scenario, if these extra points were the sole reason for getting beyond the cutoff in a particular draw and consequently receive an ITA, the applicant has to reject the ITA on their own. If they proceed with submission, CIC might accuse the applicant of deliberate misrepresentation.

Candidates are responsible for ensuring that their Express Entry profile is accurate and up-to-date at all times. Candidates are warned that, if they submit an application for permanent residence (APR) and, at that time, cannot substantiate the information in their Express Entry profile or their APR, their application will be refused and they may be assessed for misrepresentation.

Source ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/crs.asp

Anya654

May 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I disagree with the misrepresentation aspect since the OP was given the additional points by the system.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anya654 said:
I disagree with the misrepresentation aspect since the OP was given the additional points by the system.
That is because the system does not distinguish between July 1 and July 31 which, incidentally, is a favor CIC did to all of us otherwise it would have been a fiasco running around trying to figure out exact dates pertaining to education, work experience, travel among other things.

And CIC expects us to be cognizant and mindful of the fact that though the system cannot deal with such discrepancies, the applicant can and should. And like I said, CIC might call it misrepresentation. Best case scenario, they will simply reject the application and close the chapter there.

Tocanadawego

Apr 19, 2015
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/2015
AOR Received.
06/10/2015
Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
This is one of the fears that I have because I am still not completely sure I understand the requirements for calculating work experience.

Asivad Anac you already answered my question on this in a similar thread, but I thought I can give a more detailed account of my situation, and see what you guys think.

These are the work experience I have in the same NOC (I have other additional ones that I will not be claiming points for)
1. January 21 - December 9 2008
2. February 8 2009 - April 15 2010
3. February 4 2014 - ongoing

Because my first one is not continuous 12 months, can I still count it towards my 3 years? I'd hate to be accused of misrepresentation :'(

Thanks!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tocanadawego said:
This is one of the fears that I have because I am still not completely sure I understand the requirements for calculating work experience.

Asivad Anac you already answered my question on this in a similar thread, but I thought I can give a more detailed account of my situation, and see what you guys think.

These are the work experience I have in the same NOC (I have other additional ones that I will not be claiming points for)
1. January 21 - December 9 2008
2. February 8 2009 - April 15 2010
3. February 4 2014 - ongoing

Because my first one is not continuous 12 months, can I still count it towards my 3 years? I'd hate to be accused of misrepresentation :'(

Thanks!
It doesn't matter if work experience is not continuous for 12 months when you are calculating points for the FSW eligibility grid. In your case, you will fall under 2-3 years that will get you 11 points. If you get to 67/100 with these 11 points, you don't have to worry.

As for CRS score, you can even count experience in multiple NOCs and the work experience need not be continuous or at least 1 year (that is only for EE eligibility which you already have). You can safely claim more than 3 years of work experience.

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
Also, it wouldn't hurt to include a brief letter and explain that your experience is for example 2 years and 10 months but the EE system awarded you points for full three years of experience.
Same thing has happened with me. My work experience is 1 year and some 10 months but EE has awarded me points for full two year and I am gonna include a brief letter just like I mentioned above.

Tocanadawego

Apr 19, 2015
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/2015
AOR Received.
06/10/2015
Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
Oh I see! It's a bit clearer now. I thought that everything I claim for EE eligibility is what I have to claim for CRS points, not more, not less.

And including a letter of explanation makes sense too! Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

janeloveeasy

Star Member
Aug 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks all for posting. Can I delete that work experience since it would not change my points? I might have difficulties to obtain a reference letter from the first employer.

Asivad Anac said:
Since the EE system doesn't have date granularity, such discrepancies are to be expected. Under such circumstances, the onus is on the applicant to consciously acknowledge that they do not deserve these additional points till a 'certain' date in the month. Worst case scenario, if these extra points were the sole reason for getting beyond the cutoff in a particular draw and consequently receive an ITA, the applicant has to reject the ITA on their own. If they proceed with submission, CIC might accuse the applicant of deliberate misrepresentation.

Candidates are responsible for ensuring that their Express Entry profile is accurate and up-to-date at all times. Candidates are warned that, if they submit an application for permanent residence (APR) and, at that time, cannot substantiate the information in their Express Entry profile or their APR, their application will be refused and they may be assessed for misrepresentation.

Source ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/crs.asp

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
janeloveeasy said:
Thanks all for posting. Can I delete that work experience since it would not change my points? I might have difficulties to obtain a reference letter from the first employer.
You can choose to showcase or not to showcase any work experience that you might have. CIC doesn't force you into full disclosure on work history.

Tocanadawego

Apr 19, 2015
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/2015
AOR Received.
06/10/2015
Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
Asivad Anac said:
It doesn't matter if work experience is not continuous for 12 months when you are calculating points for the FSW eligibility grid. In your case, you will fall under 2-3 years that will get you 11 points. If you get to 67/100 with these 11 points, you don't have to worry.

As for CRS score, you can even count experience in multiple NOCs and the work experience need not be continuous or at least 1 year (that is only for EE eligibility which you already have). You can safely claim more than 3 years of work experience.
I was using a CRS tool to calculate my points and then this is what it asks: ii. How many years of skilled foreign work experience do you have? It must have been continuous, paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation.

If I put 2 years, I get significantly less points then when I input 3 years.

I read today somewhere on the CIC page that experience is considered continuous only if there is a short break between two jobs of same occupation. That got me really confused.

Since my break between two jobs in the same NOC was 4 years (I had two different jobs in between), can I still claim 3 years, or do i have two claim 2 years only?

I have to say, this is keeping me up at night :)

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tocanadawego said:
I was using a CRS tool to calculate my points and then this is what it asks: ii. How many years of skilled foreign work experience do you have? It must have been continuous, paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation.

If I put 2 years, I get significantly less points then when I input 3 years.

I read today somewhere on the CIC page that experience is considered continuous only if there is a short break between two jobs of same occupation. That got me really confused.

Since my break between two jobs in the same NOC was 4 years (I had two different jobs in between), can I still claim 3 years, or do i have two claim 2 years only?

I have to say, this is keeping me up at night :)
As far as CRS is concerned, this can be anytime within the last 10 years. Ministerial instructions for EE explicitly states the same.

Share the CIC link where you read otherwise.

Tocanadawego

Apr 19, 2015
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/2015
AOR Received.
06/10/2015
Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob173.asp

I might be reading this completely wrong though. Now when I'm scanning through it does seem it only refers to continuity of the first full year.

But what's getting me confused is that question in CRS tool...

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tocanadawego said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob173.asp

I might be reading this completely wrong though. Now when I'm scanning through it does seem it only refers to continuity of the first full year.

But what's getting me confused is that question in CRS tool...
Yes. This is for basic eligibility plus it is an expired bulletin.

The reason the tool gives you less points for 2 instead of 3 years is the Skills Transferability scores max out only at 3 years so you're probably losing a lot out in that section.

Tocanadawego

Apr 19, 2015
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/2015
AOR Received.
06/10/2015
Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
That's what I figured (about the skills transferability score).

So to settle this once and for all:

1. In EE profile creation I state I have 2-3 years of foreign work experience.

2. Once filling out my details in the application I state my experience in the NOC I am claiming points for in the past 10 years regardless of the continuity or duration. It's cumulative.

Is that right?

(Can you tell I'm terrified of getting refused?)