+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not meeting RO but want to renew PR card on H&C grounds

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Hello All.. Myself Akash frm Delhi, India. I applied for PR card renewal from India only on H&C grounds as was not meeting the Residency obligations..

I applied last year in April and still it's under process..

Last Friday I did speak with agent and he confirmed me that my application is approved but its selected for In-person pick up from Etobicoke office, and I should get the email with 1-2 weeks.

Here are few questions?

I am in Delhi, India at this moment, and in order to pick my card in-person.. I will need PRTD to enter Canada as PR card already expired.
Will I get PRTD based on the email received to pick my card, or any complications would be there?

IRCC might have renewed the card and would ask to pick up In-person as they might have assumed that I am already in Canada and applying PRTD will jeopardize things and I should travel through US by road, and pray would not reported while crossing the border?

Any help would be highly appreciated.
How out of compliance with residency obligation are you? Or another way, in the last five years, how many days have you spent in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All.. Myself Akash frm Delhi, India. I applied for PR card renewal from India only on H&C grounds as was not meeting the Residency obligations..

Last Friday I did speak with agent and he confirmed me that my application is approved but its selected for In-person pick up from Etobicoke office, and I should get the email with 1-2 weeks.

Here are few questions?

I am in Delhi, India at this moment, and in order to pick my card in-person.. I will need PRTD to enter Canada as PR card already expired.
Will I get PRTD based on the email received to pick my card, or any complications would be there?

IRCC might have renewed the card and would ask to pick up In-person as they might have assumed that I am already in Canada and applying PRTD will jeopardize things and I should travel through US by road, and pray would not reported while crossing the border?

You will need to apply for the PRTD with H&C considerations. No, you should not assume that you'll get the PRTD based on the email to pick up your PR card alone. If you happen to have a valid US visa, then a better tactic may be to enter Canada through a US / Canada land border instead of applying for the PRTD.

Reactions: dpenabill

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
If you are able to enter through US without applying for a PRTD, and aren’t reported, you might consider waiting until you are back in compliance with RO before going to pick up the card - or following up on it. This might not be possible, but given how out of compliance with RO you are, any additional time in Canada without coming under review would be a benefit.

Akash20071986

Star Member
Feb 17, 2020
Even if you do make it to pick up your Pr card. your passport and current amount of time in Canada will be evaluated. It will become evident that you weren’t in Canada when you applied to renew your PR card.
In person pick up they will evaluate these things or take interview abt nt meeting the Residency obligations or its just a collection of pr card??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In person pick up they will evaluate these things or take interview abt nt meeting the Residency obligations or its just a collection of pr card??
When picking up a PR card in person there is usually an interview component where they examine where you’ve been for the past 5 years, how much time you’ve spent in Canada and whether you’ve established yourself in Canada, etc. If you have been approved the approval is still contingent in you passing the interview. Very few people actually apply for PR card renewal early based on H&C.

Eusufzai

Oct 30, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
Doc's Request.
12-12-2013
Nomination.....
24-07-2015
AOR Received.
02-12-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Request
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016
Interview........
Waived
I gave my landing in July 2015 but went back after a month as I was planning to come back to Canada permanently in 2016. Unfortunately, in 2016 my uncle (mother's only brother) passed away because of which my mother came under immense stress which made me decide to postpone my permanent settlement to 2017 (Considering I would be able to meet the RO by the time my PR card expires in 2020. In May 2017 , unfortunately my father passed away due to which (as being the only son with three younder sisters) I couldn't come as I had to handle inheritance matters and take care of my mother. Finally I (along with my wife and 2 kids) arrived last year in August 2020 (1 month before PR card expiry) and since then I have been living here. I have scured a job and kids are going schoole too).

Question is, since the PR card has expired and I have lived here for only 10 months, can I apply for my PR card renewal as my mother is back home alone and I would like to go back to her for soemtime. She is also sick and needs somebody to take care of her.

Thank you.

Hello Yukoneer,

Very sad to know your father passed away and your overall family situation. However, glad to know you are currently living in Canada and Canadian authority allowed you to enter without reporting. I have few questions as I am going through the situation in line with you.

1. Did you apply under provincial nomination program and got your PR in Yukon?
2. Which port of entry did you use in 2020?
3. What type of question did immigration officer ask you?
4. Did you prepare any documents in advance to face questions at the immigration?

Sorry to bother you by asking too many questions. However your answer will definitely help me a lot. Waiting for your kind reply.

Best regards,

Eusufzai

VisaApprovalSent

Star Member
May 12, 2009
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should have applied for PRTD to come to Canada first, under H&C if you have such reasons as PR cards should only be renewed from inside Canada, and officers sometimes ask cards to be picked up to validate this. if you enter via road, you meet cbsa who will ask about your residency obligations.

canshine

Jun 21, 2014

Here are few questions?

Hello Akash,

Could you please let the forum know how did your PR card collection go?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Akash,

Could you please let the forum know how did your PR card collection go?
I could be wrong, however I don't think this person has made it to Canada yet to collect the card.

Reactions: canshine