+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not meeting Residency (PR) Obligation

guruverghees

Aug 18, 2009
Hi Guys,

I got my PR sep 2005 and went back immediatly. My wife come back and started living here since Mar 2008 and meeting Residency (PR) Obligation i.e 2 years out of 5 years. But myslef moved permanently Last October 2009 and staying with my family (wife and kid) and currently working. My PR is getting expiry on October 2010. Please advise me the following:
1. If I submit my application for PR Renewal, will CIC will renew or not. what will be the possible outcome.
2. PR card is must and keep always with me, if expiry, i'm like illegal immigrant or still can stay with landed immigrant.
3. How to over come this situation.

Regards,

Verghees

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
guruverghees said:
Hi Guys,

I got my PR sep 2005 and went back immediatly. My wife come back and started living here since Mar 2008 and meeting Residency (PR) Obligation i.e 2 years out of 5 years. But myslef moved permanently Last October 2009 and staying with my family (wife and kid) and currently working. My PR is getting expiry on October 2010. Please advise me the following:
1. If I submit my application for PR Renewal, will CIC will renew or not. what will be the possible outcome.
You need to fulfill 2 years out of the last 5 years to be able to renew your PR card. Since you moved back in October 2009, you should wait until October 2011 to renew your PR card.
2. PR card is must and keep always with me, if expiry, i'm like illegal immigrant or still can stay with landed immigrant.
It is ok to have your card expired. As long as you are residing in Canada, you are still considered legal in Canada.
3. How to over come this situation.
Stay in Canada, don't travel outside until at least end of October 2011. Renew your PR card then.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with imigrate. Stay in Canada and apply for your PR card renewal only after you already have 730 days in Canada so around October 2011.

There is no obligation to carry your PR card on you at all times in Canada. There is not even an obligation to have one unless you need to travel. Some older PR's have never had a PR card and nobody is kicking them out.

Your PR status can only be questioned as you enter Canada, as you apply for a PR travel document or PR card renewal. Therefore, as long as you are in Canada and stay in Canada, your PR status will not be questioned until you apply for your PR card renewal.

Immigration regulations state that as long as you meet the residency requirements when you apply for renewal, they can not go further back in time than that.

guruverghees

Aug 18, 2009
Hi imigrate and Leon,

Thanks a lot. I was in a real confusion what to do and people are always giving me wrong information. Once again thanks a lot. Hope with expired PR card I can keep continue on my working.

Regards,

Verghees :)