+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not enough ties to home?

thedanidane

Mar 26, 2020
Hi all,

I'm a Trinidadian citizen and I've recently started the application process for my tourist visa. I'll be applying online and I've been reading up a bit on what I should provide to help get my visa approved, but I'm still scared that I won't get it. For context: my boyfriend lives in Toronto and we've been together almost a year. We had plans in the past for him to visit me in Trinidad (twice), but unfortunate events prevented the trips from happening. He will be the one writing an invitation letter for me, as well as covering all my living expenses while I'm there.

1) I already drafted my purpose of travel letter, but should I omit the fact that he's my boyfriend, and just refer to him as a friend? Tourism is kind of a secondary purpose for me visiting Canada, as I'm mainly going to see him and meet his family, however I don't want to lie.

2) Should I let his dad write an invitation letter as well to supplement?

3) If I get approved for the visa, we've decided that he'll come visit me here for Christmas/New Year's, since I'll be (hopefully) visiting him in the summer. We have tentative travel plans for this December trip but nothing's booked yet since it's obviously a long time away from now. However, I'll be including our future travel plans/itinerary in my purpose of travel document. Will the fact that we haven't booked anything yet be an issue?

4) my biggest fear is that my ties to home may not be strong enough for the application. Currently I'm a public servant so I work for the government, but I've only had the job for a little over a year. I live with my mom and brother, but we're renting so we don't have any papers to show we own the place and none of the bills are in my name. However, all of my immediate family and all of my friends live in Trinidad. I'm also currently studying at uni part-time, so I know I can get my course administrator to verify that I'm enrolled there and when I'll graduate, etc etc. What else could I use to prove strong ties to my home country?

5) I've only been outside of the country once, and that was to the US way back in 2011. Other than that, I've only traveled to Tobago, which probably doesn't count as much. Will this affect my chances of being accepted?

I know it's difficult for citizens from certain countries to obtain a Canadian visa, but I'm not sure where Trinidad stands in that aspect. In any case, any other pointers on what to include would be greatly appreciated xx

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good day

1. If you put that he is your partner, it will indicate strong ties to Canada. You will have to prove to cic that you will return after your visit. It’s best to put him as a friend.. then if he wants to file for you ; can explain that in blossom into a relationship etc.

2. No it’s not necessary.

3. An itinerary is fine. You don’t need to book flights.

4. so you do have ties. You will send to show all ids from work and school. A letter of declaration that you will return to Trinidad. Proof of tuition paid. Resume. Letter from notary public or justice of the peace saying you live at the place for X years. It must be stamped. your mother need to write a letter saying that she lives with you and support you etc. Proof of receipt of rent. Transcript from school. Health card , insurance , stocks and bonds . Vehicle title. Letter from an organization saying your a member. Member of a

5. Your travel history is good.
All the best in your application. I hope this helps .
There is no need to get a letter from a notary public or a justice of the peace. Save your money. Honestly you are in a bit of a catch 22. If you are invited by anyone who is not a family member most visa officers will assume there is high chance that you are visiting a partner.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since Covid is highly infectious and I don't know if Trinidad is affected or not, I urge you postpone your plans to visit Canada. You might expose yourself risk of getting the virus and spread it to your country when you return.