+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not eligible for CCB as not meeting residency req!

SatheshDyn

Jun 17, 2020
Applying before meeting the 18 months might be the reason why your application was rejected. If you did not call them yet, give them a call and see what was the problem with your residency before you apply again.
Thanks a lot, sure will dial them before re-apply

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My wife applied under her CRA login as she's a primary responsibility for the kid
Not sure that the 1 year as a visitor counts towards the 18 months. You may qualify and not your wife. It’s unclear when you applied and whether you applied after the 18 month mark.

SatheshDyn

Jun 17, 2020
Not sure that the 1 year as a visitor counts towards the 18 months. You may qualify and not your wife. It’s unclear when you applied and whether you applied after the 18 month mark.
Thanks!! It's clarified with CRA, since I had applied for CCB before 18 months complete, hence they denied. CRA asked to re-apply after 18 months, which I meet by Sep 23, 2020.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Thanks!! It's clarified with CRA, since I had applied for CCB before 18 months complete, hence they denied. CRA asked to re-apply after 18 months, which I meet by Sep 23, 2020.
Makes more sense, as a couple with kids just one of you need to meet the requirement to qualify.

mughal1

Aug 18, 2019
Hi dear,
I am a student and my 18 months completed last week. my family joined me 7 months ago. as far as I understand my wife should apply for CCB by using RC66 and RC66-sch form. I filed my tax last year but my wife(she is on Open work permit valid till 2022) has not filed any tax yet.
I want to ask is it OK if she apply by putting ZERO income and I will put my income for last three years.

Also have your application approved. ?
Your early reply will be appreciated.

SatheshDyn

Jun 17, 2020
Hi dear,
I am a student and my 18 months completed last week. my family joined me 7 months ago. as far as I understand my wife should apply for CCB by using RC66 and RC66-sch form. I filed my tax last year but my wife(she is on Open work permit valid till 2022) has not filed any tax yet.
I want to ask is it OK if she apply by putting ZERO income and I will put my income for last three years.

Your wife and kids must complete 18 months in canada and your wife should file tax here in canada, though she's not earning and not worked for any employer under Open WP, after that she can apply for CCB.

Yes, mine got processed once we accomplished 18 months here in canada.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Your wife and kids must complete 18 months in canada and your wife should file tax here in canada, though she's not earning and not worked for any employer under Open WP, after that she can apply for CCB.

Yes, mine got processed once we accomplished 18 months here in canada.
I am not sure where you got this information from, but according to the government website:
one of the requirement is
You or your spouse or common-law partner must be any of the following:
  • a Canadian citizen
  • a permanent resident
  • a protected person
  • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month
  • an Indigenous person who meets the definition of "Indian" under the Indian Act
It's clearly said you or your spouse, not both of you. My understanding is as long as one of you fulfill the requirements, you should be fine.

SatheshDyn

Jun 17, 2020
I am not sure where you got this information from, but according to the government website:
one of the requirement is
You or your spouse or common-law partner must be any of the following:
  • a Canadian citizen
  • a permanent resident
  • a protected person
  • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month
  • an Indigenous person who meets the definition of "Indian" under the Indian Act
It's clearly said you or your spouse, not both of you. My understanding is as long as one of you fulfill the requirements, you should be fine.
Please read the information in full, you are partially posting the info which may mislead others, here you go.

You must meet ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview/canada-child-benefit-before-you-apply.html
Re-Read the below

You must meet all of the following conditions:
  • You live with a child who is under 18 years of age
  • You are primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child
    See who is primarily responsible
  • You are a resident of Canada for tax purposes
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner must be any of the following:
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • a protected person
You cannot get the Canada child benefit (CCB) for a foster child for any month in which Children's special allowances (CSA) are payable.

You may get the CCB if you live with and care for a child under a kinship or close relationship program, as long as CSA are not payable for that child.

For more information, see Children's special allowances.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Please read the information in full, you are partially posting the info which may mislead others, here you go.

You must meet ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview/canada-child-benefit-before-you-apply.html
Re-Read the below

• You live with a child who is under 18 years of age
  • You are primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child
    See who is primarily responsible
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • a protected person
You cannot get the Canada child benefit (CCB) for a foster child for any month in which Children's special allowances (CSA) are payable.

You may get the CCB if you live with and care for a child under a kinship or close relationship program, as long as CSA are not payable for that child.

For more information, see Children's special allowances.
Thank you for sharing I have seen this and still not see where did you get your argument (his wife and kids need to be in Canada for 18 months) from?
In fact, the OP has lived here for 18 months already,
  • You live with a child who is under 18 years of age OP lives with his child already
  • You are primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child OP can ask his wife to name him primary responsible for their Kids see here ( When there is a female parent who lives with the child
    When both a female and male parent live in the same home as the child, the female parent is usually considered to be primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child. She should be the one applying for the CCB.

However, if the male parent is primarily responsible, he should apply and attach a signed letter from the female parent stating that he is the parent who is primarily responsible for all the children in the home.)

ee who is primarily responsible
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • a protected person
    • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month OP is
As I said, I don't see why the OP cannot apply. Saying that his wife and kids need to be here for 18 months before the op can apply is in fact misleading.

SatheshDyn

Jun 17, 2020
Thank you for sharing I have seen this and still not see where did you get your argument (his wife and kids need to be in Canada for 18 months) from?
In fact, the OP has lived here for 18 months already,
  • You live with a child who is under 18 years of age OP lives with his child already
  • You are primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child OP can ask his wife to name him primary responsible for their Kids see here ( When there is a female parent who lives with the child
    When both a female and male parent live in the same home as the child, the female parent is usually considered to be primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child. She should be the one applying for the CCB.

However, if the male parent is primarily responsible, he should apply and attach a signed letter from the female parent stating that he is the parent who is primarily responsible for all the children in the home.)

ee who is primarily responsible
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • a protected person
    • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month OP is
As I said, I don't see why the OP cannot apply. Saying that his wife and kids need to be here for 18 months before the op can apply is in fact misleading.
Again!! if he's primary responsible for his children, still he can apply but his child also must be lived with him in Canada, when he completed 18 months, eventually his child too, which means both of them are living in Canada for 18 months, his wife not required to be in Canada and accomplished 18 months here in this situation.

But that's not his case here, he said his family joined him only 7 months back, I assume his wife and child, both joined him, if his child already lived with him then he can claim CCB saying he's primary responsible.

Everyone can apply CCB ONLY if you meet all the above mentioned conditions, I wish him to apply and let him know if he's eligible or not. All I'm sharing here is the process I had already gone through and am availing CCB. All the Best for your conditions too to meet @Das67 the eligibility.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Again!! if he's primary responsible for his children, still he can apply but his child also must be lived with him in Canada, when he completed 18 months, eventually his child too, which means both of them are living in Canada for 18 months, his wife not required to be in Canada and accomplished 18 months here in this situation.

But that's not his case here, he said his family joined him only 7 months back, I assume his wife and child, both joined him, if his child already lived with him then he can claim CCB saying he's primary responsible.

Everyone can apply CCB ONLY if you meet all the above mentioned conditions, I wish him to apply and let him know if he's eligible or not. All I'm sharing here is the process I had already gone through and am availing CCB. All the Best for your conditions too to meet @Das67 the eligibility.
When to apply
You should apply for the Canada child benefit (CCB) as soon as any of the following situations happen:

• your child is born
  • a child starts to live with you, or returns to live with you after a temporary period with someone else
  • you begin, end, or change a shared custody arrangement
  • you get custody of a child
  • you, or your spouse or common-law partner, start to meet the eligibility conditions under Who can apply
The child does not need to be living with him when he completed 18 months, he can apply as soon as a child starts to live with him as per the above requirement, as long as he meets the other requirements. The time a child starts to live with parents here in Canada does not matter, as long as the parent who is primarily responsible for the child is eligible to apply. In fact, if you wait too long before you apply, you may need to add more documents to your application.
If the child started living with you more than 11 months ago, you will need to provide additional documents.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi dear,

She must put her worlwide income.

Reactions: YVR123

Ankita bhagat

Mar 24, 2019
Hii..
i came in canada on 9 december 2017 on studen visa and on april 2020 i got my PGWP and my. Work permit will expire on april 2023 And now i delieverd a child on. 30 august and i applied for ccb on 28 october but today i got email from cra that i am not meeting the residency criteria.. moreover my husband came in canada on September 2019 but as i am a primary applica

Ush

Aug 9, 2016
Category........
AINP
NOC Code......
B
App. Filed.......
06-03-2017
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
Hi
I came to Canada on September 2017 with work permit and I went to restoration on October 2018 then I got PR on nov 2018. I delivered my baby on 29 August 2020 & I received mail from CRA that I’m not eligible due to not meeting the residency requirements.
My husband came by 2013 on student visa he also went to restoration on October 2018 and then he got his PR but he has been filing tax since 2013 and he Had his status all through the year 2013 -2017. he just went to restoration on October 2018 alone So he has crossed 18 months right ?
My husband came by 2013 on student visa he also went to restoration on October 2018 and then he got his PR but he has been filing tax since 2013 and he Had his status all through the year 2013 -2017. he just went to restoration on October 2018 alone So he has crossed 18 months right ?
Is restoration is the reason behind it ?
should I change my custody to shared custody ?

Ush

Aug 9, 2016
Category........
AINP
NOC Code......
B
App. Filed.......
06-03-2017
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
Hii..
i came in canada on 9 december 2017 on studen visa and on april 2020 i got my PGWP and my. Work permit will expire on april 2023 And now i delieverd a child on. 30 august and i applied for ccb on 28 october but today i got email from cra that i am not meeting the residency criteria.. moreover my husband came in canada on September 2019 but as i am a primary applica
Did they mentioned you any period date ?