+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not eligible for CCB as not meeting residency req!

naseryas

Mar 3, 2016
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
12-MAR-2016
Hi

My wife filed for Canada Child Benefits (CCB) for our two kids (6 and 8y). CRA replied saying "You are not eligible as not meeting residency requirement". We have been in Canada as students since 2010. My wife is out of school since 2014. We didn't apply for CCB before. Im a PR applicant awaiting approval.

Why CRA is telling us that? What can we do?

Thanks in advance!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
naseryas said:
Hi

My wife filed for Canada Child Benefits (CCB) for our two kids (6 and 8y). CRA replied saying "You are not eligible as not meeting residency requirement". We have been in Canada as students since 2010. My wife is out of school since 2014. We didn't apply for CCB before. Im a PR applicant awaiting approval.

Why CRA is telling us that? What can we do?

Thanks in advance!
What is your wife's status in Canada if she is out of school since 2014? PGWP? Something else? Have you been filing taxes every year?

The CCTB used to have the eligibility requirement for a temporary resident that they were in Canada for 18 months and had a valid permit in the 19th month. Had you applied for CCTB and were you getting it? You can still apply retroactively, see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/cctb/menu-eng.html

The CCTB was recently replaced by the CCB and I don't see on their website what the eligibility requirements are for that.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Where do each of you live? If some (or all) of you live in Canada, what is your status in Canada? What residential ties do you have in Canada/Abroad? Have you ever paid/filed taxes in Canada? Also you will need to answer the above question (living in Canada throughout 18 months with a valid permit that confers the temporary resident status (if it doesn't it will be written on your permit) and submitted your application in the 19th month or later).

Once you answer all those questions, we should be able to help you determine why CRA rejected your claim or whether or not they made a mistake.

Jaya1985

Star Member
Jan 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-04-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
File Transfer...
03-07-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
soon
CCB - Benefits Rejected due to residency Req . I am in PR for more than 2 years . my son was born 3 months back . Applied CCB last month along with status form and long birth certificate. But surprisingly CRA send below Email . I have to register dispute .
We determined that you are not eligible for: XXXX(Child Name)- since you do not meet the residency requirement.

Is there any recent changes to the CCB Req ?
Calling CRA and explain this would help to resolve ? or I have to file dispute ?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
CCB - Benefits Rejected due to residency Req . I am in PR for more than 2 years . my son was born 3 months back . Applied CCB last month along with status form and long birth certificate. But surprisingly CRA send below Email . I have to register dispute .
We determined that you are not eligible for: XXXX(Child Name)- since you do not meet the residency requirement.

Is there any recent changes to the CCB Req ?
Calling CRA and explain this would help to resolve ? or I have to file dispute ?

Are you a tax resident of Canada? Meaning are you currently living in Canada?

Jaya1985

Star Member
Jan 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-04-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
File Transfer...
03-07-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
soon
Are you a tax resident of Canada? Meaning are you currently living in Canada?
Yes Filled taxes past 2 years . yes living in Canada since PR . went for only 2 months vacation .

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Yes Filled taxes past 2 years . yes living in Canada since PR . went for only 2 months vacation .
Then you probably will have to call CRA then. They probably don't have a record of your residency status on file. Usually when you file your income tax, on the return it would ask you about information on your residence and there should be a place where you put the date of entry when you first entered Canada as a tax resident.

Jaya1985

Star Member
Jan 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-04-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
File Transfer...
03-07-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2014
Passport Req..
Not yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
soon
Then you probably will have to call CRA then. They probably don't have a record of your residency status on file. Usually when you file your income tax, on the return it would ask you about information on your residence and there should be a place where you put the date of entry when you first entered Canada as a tax resident.
Ok Thanks . Called CRA , They told , they are going to fix them . will give them call back again next week if we donot get updates.

SatheshDyn

Jun 17, 2020
Hello All,

My wife filed for Canada Child Benefits (CCB) for our kid (2yrs old). CRA replied saying "You are not eligible as not meeting residency requirement".

We have been living in Canada as visitor/work permit since 2019 Mar. I'm on WP, wife on Visitor for a year then she applied Open WP during Mar 2020, received SIN, after that filed tax for year 2019 and assessment notice received on on Jul 2020.

Now we don't know what went wrong here for ineligible, can anyone help us how to resolve and get CCB?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Hello All,

My wife filed for Canada Child Benefits (CCB) for our kid (2yrs old). CRA replied saying "You are not eligible as not meeting residency requirement".

We have been living in Canada as visitor/work permit since 2019 Mar. I'm on WP, wife on Visitor for a year then she applied Open WP during Mar 2020, received SIN, after that filed tax for year 2019 and assessment notice received on on Jul 2020.

Now we don't know what went wrong here for ineligible, can anyone help us how to resolve and get CCB?
Who can get the Canada child benefit
You must meet all of the following conditions:

• You live with a child who is under 18 years of age
  • You are primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child
    See who is primarily responsible
  • You are a resident of Canada for tax purposes
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner must be any of the following:
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • a protected person
    • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month
    • an Indigenous person who meets the definition of "Indian" under the Indian Act
a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month
This is where you need to pay attention, as you said you are on WP and living in Canada since Mar 2019. From Mar 2019 to Sep 2020, that is 18 months but you still need to have a valid permit in the 19th month which if I am not wrong will be next month ( Otc 2020, if your permit is still valid). I am not sure maybe you need to wait until next month to fulfill the requirement.

SatheshDyn

Jun 17, 2020
Who can get the Canada child benefit
You must meet all of the following conditions:

• You live with a child who is under 18 years of age
  • You are primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child
    See who is primarily responsible
  • You are a resident of Canada for tax purposes
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner must be any of the following:
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • a protected person
    • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month
    • an Indigenous person who meets the definition of "Indian" under the Indian Act
a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month
This is where you need to pay attention, as you said you are on WP and living in Canada since Mar 2019. From Mar 2019 to Sep 2020, that is 18 months but you still need to have a valid permit in the 19th month which if I am not wrong will be next month ( Otc 2020, if your permit is still valid). I am not sure maybe you need to wait until next month to fulfill the requirement.
Yes we met all the above conditions also have a valid WP till May 2022 i.e, after 18th month too. So should we re-apply for CCB in Oct 2020? Since we had applied CCB during Aug 2020 (before we meet 18 months) in the thought of CRA will pick our application when we fall eligible and process.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes we met all the above conditions also have a valid WP till May 2022 i.e, after 18th month too. So should we re-apply for CCB in Oct 2020? Since we had applied CCB during Aug 2020 (before we meet 18 months) in the thought of CRA will pick our application when we fall eligible and process.
Did you apply or did your wife apply?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Applying before meeting the 18 months might be the reason why your application was rejected. If you did not call them yet, give them a call and see what was the problem with your residency before you apply again.