+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

non-routine files do not exist any more

paulvoyer

Mar 10, 2017
Hello everyone

Earlier today I called CIC call center ,, and I was informed by call center agent that there is no non routine file thing any more , since I applied after the 1st of April 2015 ,,, however the average processing is 12 month ,, yes some files can go a bit longer but that does not mean they are non-routine or they have to wait 36 month ,, unless if there is a judge hearing ,,, can you guys validate or confirm if these information are true or false .

One thing which may tell what this agent is right,,, when we look for the processing time under the citizenship grant ,, there are 2 options from the drop down menu ( if you applied before April 1st 2015 ,, and if you applied after april 1st 2015 ,, and the non-routine only appears if your choice was applying before 1st April 2015 ) ,,,

However that does not mean that some files may get processed after those 12 months ( like 14, 15, 16 month.

Bottom line IRCC is a world of adventure,, where you can expect the unexpected

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Hello everyone

Earlier today I called CIC call center ,, and I was informed by call center agent that there is no non routine file thing any more , since I applied after the 1st of April 2015 ,,, however the average processing is 12 month ,, yes some files can go a bit longer but that does not mean they are non-routine or they have to wait 36 month ,, unless if there is a judge hearing ,,, can you guys validate or confirm if these information are true or false .

One thing which may tell what this agent is right,,, when we look for the processing time under the citizenship grant ,, there are 2 options from the drop down menu ( if you applied before April 1st 2015 ,, and if you applied after april 1st 2015 ,, and the non-routine only appears if your choice was applying before 1st April 2015 ) ,,,

However that does not mean that some files may get processed after those 12 months ( like 14, 15, 16 month.

Law of averages at work here,The conclusion:

If the date of application is before 1st April 2015 and the application is still in process
Application is definitely non-routine
Else
Application is either non-routine or routine
End if

paulvoyer

Mar 10, 2017
Law of averages at work here,The conclusion:

If the date of application is before 1st April 2015 and the application is still in process
Application is definitely non-routine
Else
Application is either non-routine or routine
End if
ok than for the sake of this dialogue I got here 2 question
1- for the new non-routine , I mean after april 2015 ,, is it still the same 36 months for non-routine
2- do we have here guys people applied from Mar or June 2015 and their applications still open ????

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The labels routine versus non-routine never met much. Whatever differences there were before still exist.

The routine versus non-routine distinction was never about the formal status of an application.

The difference was merely whether an application had some added event or procedure outside the usual, or routine, processing stream. If so, the CIC/IRCC posted timeline information for routine applications was not applicable. This could be due to a Finger Print request. RQ. Re-scheduling an event. Full blown security investigation. Any of these meant that the listed processing time line for "routine" applications no longer applied.

For grant citizenship applications made since April 2015, IRCC no longer posts timeline information distinguishing routine and non-routine processing. (Actually IRCC no longer publishes any useful information about grant citizenship time lines.)

The non-routine things can and do still happen. They will still affect how long it takes to process an individual application. Which is to say most applications will be routinely processed (no "routine" label necessary), and some will end up having this or that non-routine processing involved (FP, RQ, security investigation, rescheduled events, and such). Overall, those routinely processed will tend to have shorter time lines. Those subject to this or that non-routine processing will have longer processing times. FP requests tend to result in minimal delay. RQ tends to result in longer delays. Security investigations can be incredibly long (I've seen eight years in officially reported cases).

In fact, the IRCC processing time information is essentially worthless. There is no doubt that scores and scores of applications are now taking well less than the 12 months IRCC now says it took to process a citizenship application in the past. But there are also many others which are taking much longer.

It is very disappointing to see that the Liberal government has further trimmed the quantity and quality of information being publicly disseminated. During Harper's terms the quantity and quality of information provided the public was dramatically reduced. I had hopes the Liberals would reverse that trend at least some. The current FAQs about processing times, however, are less informative than an untalented used car salesperson in training. Less informative even than during Harper's terms.

In any event, unfortunately for many applicants, yes there will still be non-routine processing, like RQ. Without the non-routine label, but still with the delays and inconvenience..

The good news is that for the majority of applicants, at least for now, processing time lines are remarkably fast, faster than they have been in over a decade.

Last edited:

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
ok than for the sake of this dialogue I got here 2 question
1- for the new non-routine , I mean after april 2015 ,, is it still the same 36 months for non-routine
2- do we have here guys people applied from Mar or June 2015 and their applications still open ????
Last time I talked to CIC was in 2013, I found out that my PRC application was non-routine! When I requested the rep to provide me a timeline, I was told that non-routine application have no predictability, I guess same is true for citizenship applications as well...
I guess not! I have not seen any active threads during the past 3-4 months that deal with the applications between Mar to June 2015

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Hello everyone

The non-routine things still happen example is my case, on 22 June 2017 one year passed and due to Security check still decision is not made..

Before CIC was informing the applicant that his application is non routine and may take long time to finalize but seems that they now they stop this practice. If they doesn't need any document they are not informing to applicants.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
The non-routine things still happen example is my case, on 22 June 2017 one year passed and due to Security check still decision is not made..

Before CIC was informing the applicant that his application is non routine and may take long time to finalize but seems that they now they stop this practice. If they doesn't need any document they are not informing to applicants.
So basically the 'non-routine' is part of the new routine now ....

Bepatient

Nov 8, 2013

Hi Heeradeepak,
I believe your case is specific and little bit different. From your interview script, I understand that you withdrew your first citizenship application due to not meeting residency requirements. To be objective and fair to other readers of this forum, who may make decisions or have perceptions based on other members' experience, it would be good to mention the facts as they are. Below is the script of your interview that you made public in this forum. I assume you would not mind sharing it with others. If you do, please let me know and I will remove it.
I trust the judgment and the professionalism of all Citizenship employees and I believe they need to be thanked for their hard work.

Wishing you the best of luck.

"
heeradeepak said:
Thanks

i wants to share interview with Immigration officer after test

CIC officer- My name is --- Congratulations you pass the test 18 answers are correct.
Me- Thanks
CIC officer-Pls show me your PR
Me- I have given her my PR card which was expired
CIC officer- This is expired
Me- Yes i have applied for renewal.
CIC officer- Show me other ID
Me- I have given her my driver lic and health card.
CIC officer-Landing paper?
Me- i have given her my landing paper
CIC officer- After verifying ID –Did you came to canada by ship in 1988?
Me- No i migrate in 2007 and before that in 2002 i came as a visitor for one week .
CIC officer-She noted that- So you came in 2007 as a skilled worker. What you are doing for living.
Me- I am working in ---------- company as a supervisor.
CIC officer- After verifying my documents, still you are working in same company?
Me- yes this is a good company.
CIC officer- Show me your passports.
Me- I have given her my 3 passports one valid and two cancelled.
CIC officer- After watching my 2nd passport which was cancelled- you have PR or green card from other country?
Me-No
CIC officer- you was working in another country .
Me- From last 4 years i am working only in Canada .
CIC officer- I am asking all the period after you become PR
Me- Yes i was working in Qatar.
CIC officer- Where and which company
Me- in Qatar?
CIC officer- She checked my documents and found informations filled by me. She start verifying stamps in 2nd passport.
Me- Madam to save your time i already put sticky notes on passports pages with dates of exit and entry.
CIC officer- if i need i will ask you .
Me-Sorry
CIC officer- you went to sri lanka in this period
Me- Yes
CIC officer- After watching more stamps you went two times to sri lanka.
Me- I think yes.
CIC officer- so went to europe also in this period .
Me- Yes for few days and i mentions this in application.
CIC officer- where then she turn file towards me.
Me- I look at file - oh i miss that .
CIC officer- you went to Amsterdam
Me- Yes
CIC officer- She has written in application and start checking more pages . Nov 2010 stamps where you mention in application.
Me- I have shown in residence calculator i was not in canada that time.
CIC officer- look at this on Nov -11 you are going out from Doha
Me- After checking the stamp no i was landing in Doha see the stamp showing plane landing in Doha.
CIC officer- After watching application - yes you have in residence calculater.
CIC officer-you have translation this stamp
Me- This stamp is out from 6 year periods and all other stamps are in english
CIC officer-Are you married.
Me- I have adults children's
CIC officer-I asked are you married
Me- Yes and I have all adults children's
CIC officer- what is their status.
Me- All are citizens
CIC officer- So why you are last.
Me- i voluntarily withdraw my first application.
CIC officer- it was RQ issues?
Me- yes and i was not sure that time, but now i am am 100% confident.
CIC officer- So you went out of Canada to support your family and you had a good job there and due to job you travel too much.
Me- yes but from 2012 i am well settled here and i don't have any valid work visa from other country.
CIC officer- Do you wants to reside in Canada.
Me- where i can go i have my own home, family and good job in canada.
CIC officer- So many peoples have own houses.
Me- yes true
CIC officer - I think that's all i am keeping your expired PR card you don't need it now and your file will be in further process.
Me- After winding my documents- when i will get oath
CIC officer- still security clearance is pending.
Me- Approximate when.
CIC officer- End of Oct or Nov.
Me- But they will ask me PR card.
CIC officer-This card is expired not status and before that you will get your new PR card.
Me- But if i have to pick new card they will ask me expired card.
CIC officer- i will make sure to put it on file tell them to check it.

Notes – She was checking only one passport. I personally feel she had lot of experience in such cases. I was trying to show her my documents as CBSA report which was 100% matching, Doctor visit records, CRA option C, Pay snubs, but seems that she realized i am ready with all documents and she is not interested to ask me about that. Any how let's see what will be result.

Hope it this informations will be good for other applicants."

Reactions: MirMS

ENGLISHFORCITIZENSHIP

Star Member
Jul 13, 2017
does the interview happen on the same day right after the test? what are they most concerned about ? My residency time is flawless.I mean I have stayed inside Canada for the most time except 27 days.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Yes it happens right after your interview. They want to make sure that everything you put in your application is true.

paulvoyer

Mar 10, 2017
so that means at least the 36 month non-routine waiting does not exist ,, and being replaced with undefined timeline

paulvoyer

Mar 10, 2017

I need to take advantage of withdrawing ur application thing ,,, and I want to ask you do you recommend me to withdraw my application and reapply ,, I have a doubt that my file is going non-routine since I missed my first test ,, u can also check my timeline in my signature ,, but regarding my security and residence I am good ,, the only thing is I missed my first test ??????? what is ur recommendations ,,,
thank you