+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non routine applicatio- Officer notes non-disclosable

moden88

Star Member
May 11, 2020
Hello,
Today I was informed by the MP office that y application got Marked as non-routine application because "further verification needed on the application", they mentioned that the officer notes are non-disclosable .

Does any one know what should I do in order to understand what is the reason for the mark or to get the officer notes.

My time line is as below

Application: march 1st 2023
AOR: March 17th
FP request: may 2
Citizenship test invite: may 12
FP received: may 18th
BG check complete: May 19
Test complete: May 29
Urgent processing request: July 25 due to family member sickness
MP office re-sent urgent processing request: August 24
MP office confirmed an officer assigned for the request: August 28
Application marked as non-routine: Sep 5th

I didn't receive any communication from the IRCC regarding my application.

Please advise if there is any kind of request that will allow me to understand the reason for marking the application as non-routine

Thank you

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
You can try getting ATIP notes, but it is likely that these notes will be redacted anyway. Though maybe something will get through. Could be that the agent your MP talked to was overly cautious.

moden88

Star Member
May 11, 2020
You can try getting ATIP notes, but it is likely that these notes will be redacted anyway. Though maybe something will get through. Could be that the agent your MP talked to was overly cautious.
I applied right away yesterday. My understanding is that the MP office was talking with the IRCC through MCMPS progarm officer

Reactions: bas12

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello,
Today I was informed by the MP office that y application got Marked as non-routine application because "further verification needed on the application", they mentioned that the officer notes are non-disclosable .

Does any one know what should I do in order to understand what is the reason for the mark or to get the officer notes.

My time line is as below

Application: march 1st 2023
AOR: March 17th
FP request: may 2
Citizenship test invite: may 12
FP received: may 18th
BG check complete: May 19
Test complete: May 29
Urgent processing request: July 25 due to family member sickness
MP office re-sent urgent processing request: August 24
MP office confirmed an officer assigned for the request: August 28
Application marked as non-routine: Sep 5th

I didn't receive any communication from the IRCC regarding my application.

Please advise if there is any kind of request that will allow me to understand the reason for marking the application as non-routine

Thank you
Whether fair or not, whether influenced by bias or not, PR-refugees appear to encounter more elevated scrutiny than other PRs applying for citizenship.

There appear to be various possibilities affecting your application. Some, one might say, usual suspects:

It appears you are relying extensively on pre-PR credit to meet the physical presence requirement. Some refugees can find it confusing or even difficult to clearly determine when their status as a temporary resident (rather than, say, applicant for status) began. You probably know and understand these things in regards to your own immigration history, but I mention this because this has been an issue for more than a few, raising questions slowing down the verification the applicant meets the physical presence requirement.​
Additionally, it appears that generally the need to obtain a passport to use for international travel is often not enough to persuade IRCC to expedite processing citizenship applications.​
And, if the request for urgent processing is based on a need and plan to travel to your home country (assuming that is where your parent is located), that might invite some additional inquiries for a PR-refugee who has claimed it was imperative to flee conditions in their home country, to the extent they needed to obtain permanent refuge in Canada. (Again, whether this is fair or not.)​
And, generally there is a higher risk of increased security background screening, and related delays, for PR-refugees. (Again, whether this is fair or not.)​

A lawyer may be able to help.

Remember that any investigatory activity is considered confidential and will not be divulged to applicants, so finding out what in particular is the issue is difficult. Noting, however, that there might not be any particular issue beyond somewhat more probing verification of actual physical presence, which should not delay things all that much but which would preclude expedited/urgent processing.

Overall, the odds of expedited processing are probably not good. Whether to provide expedited processing is more or less entirely within the discretion of the officials handling the application. No practical recourse, other than complaining and dunning, hoping to encourage the officials to act sooner.

moden88

Star Member
May 11, 2020
Whether fair or not, whether influenced by bias or not, PR-refugees appear to encounter more elevated scrutiny than other PRs applying for citizenship.

There appear to be various possibilities affecting your application. Some, one might say, usual suspects:

It appears you are relying extensively on pre-PR credit to meet the physical presence requirement. Some refugees can find it confusing or even difficult to clearly determine when their status as a temporary resident (rather than, say, applicant for status) began. You probably know and understand these things in regards to your own immigration history, but I mention this because this has been an issue for more than a few, raising questions slowing down the verification the applicant meets the physical presence requirement.​
Additionally, it appears that generally the need to obtain a passport to use for international travel is often not enough to persuade IRCC to expedite processing citizenship applications.​
And, if the request for urgent processing is based on a need and plan to travel to your home country (assuming that is where your parent is located), that might invite some additional inquiries for a PR-refugee who has claimed it was imperative to flee conditions in their home country, to the extent they needed to obtain permanent refuge in Canada. (Again, whether this is fair or not.)​
And, generally there is a higher risk of increased security background screening, and related delays, for PR-refugees. (Again, whether this is fair or not.)​

A lawyer may be able to help.

Remember that any investigatory activity is considered confidential and will not be divulged to applicants, so finding out what in particular is the issue is difficult. Noting, however, that there might not be any particular issue beyond somewhat more probing verification of actual physical presence, which should not delay things all that much but which would preclude expedited/urgent processing.

Overall, the odds of expedited processing are probably not good. Whether to provide expedited processing is more or less entirely within the discretion of the officials handling the application. No practical recourse, other than complaining and dunning, hoping to encourage the officials to act sooner.
Thank you for your answer. I did mention to the IRCC that I am not planning to visit my country of origin whether now or in the future and that I am planning to see my dad in a differnet country where he receives medical treatment, even the medical report that i used to support my urgent processing were from a different country of my home country.

as far as residency, you are correct. I am using the period waiting for PR as credit for my citizenship residency calculation. I was really accurate with the dates. I used the date they accepted my refugee and the date they gave the PR status. I even attached my refugge acceptance letter with application for their reference.

I am not sure if there is any path in the law that allows me, with the help of a lawyer, to check the reason for the non-routine.

in your opinion, if it is a non-security related matter, how long on avergae it will take for non routine processing. FYI my primary office is Scarborigh and my secondary office is Sydney. my LPP is assigned to Sydney office according to GCMS notes of August