whatsinaname

Mar 24, 2010
India
App. Filed.......
10-06-2018
Med's Done....
upfront
Dear members,
I am a Canadian PR. I got married in Dec 2012 in my native country, and I returned back to Canada in mid-March 2013. My wife is back home. She does not have any income. Here in Canada I am preparing to file my tax return using Studio Tax software. Here are my doubts:

In studio software there is a checkbox in the wizard where I can check if my spouse is a non-resident. But after completing the wizard I see the automatically filled form T1. In the box 'Information about your spouse' I cannot see the fact of my spouse being non-resident mentioned anywhere and the SIN number field is left empty.

So if I go ahead and file my return online will I face problems such as CRA asking for my wife's SIN number?

Additionally do I have to fill any other form to declare my change in marital status other than just mentioning this in my T1? Since my coming back here in Canada I have not yet sent any money back home to my wife, so I am not claiming any of that. Does this entail any other paperwork?

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CRA guidelines are complex and change annually. I am a financial advisor but still use an accountant to file my taxes, all accounting fees are tax deductible I suggest you get one who you can work with. Caveat stay away from people who are not qualified get a CGA or a CA.