+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

non-resident of tax while having Canadian Permanent residency

SHAAAQ

May 3, 2021
Hi, I will have to move to Canada because of my US working visa issue (H1-B lottery). I plan to apply for Canadian PR through EE and my employer will support it.

I might be back to US after one and half year, as my wife is there, but, after that, would I be considered as non-resident of Canada and stop paying extra tax to Canada? I will not have things like income or property in Canada.

Moreover, I can still go to Canada every now and the for maintaining residency obligation, right?

Based on my understanding, I could maintain non-resident of tax and PR residency obligation at the same time, as tax and residency are two different things. But it is indeed tricky, and I'm wondering if anyone has similar experience? Thanks

I originally come from Asia, and am not citizen or PR of either US or Canada

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How do you plan to maintain PR residency obligation and being non Canadian resident for tax purposes at the same time? Staying in Canada for less than 6 months per year in a rolling 5 year period?

SHAAAQ

May 3, 2021
How do you plan to maintain PR residency obligation and being non Canadian resident for tax purposes at the same time? Staying in Canada for less than 6 months per year in a rolling 5 year period?
Not a big issue to me, because the company I work for is at Seattle. But to make the problem simpler, let's say I stay at Vancouver for 2 years at the beginning, and then I move back to Seattle, US. for the remaining 3 years of my first 5 years of PR, would I still need to pay tax to Canada for my income in US? Can I still keep my permanent residency of Canada in this case? Thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not a big issue to me, because the company I work for is at Seattle. But to make the problem simpler, let's say I stay at Vancouver for 2 years at the beginning, and then I move back to Seattle, US. for the remaining 3 years of my first 5 years of PR, would I still need to pay tax to Canada for my income in US? Can I still keep my permanent residency of Canada in this case? Thank you
Canadian tax resident for first two years and report your US income for those years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you already received PR? Assume that means you didn’t get selected for the lottery so you’ll need to become a contract worker for your US employer. Yes you can stay for 2 years and if you get selected for the lottery leave after 3 years. You will need to advise CRA that you have left Canada and are no longer a resident and also advise you provincial healthcare plan that you are no longer in the province.

SHAAAQ

May 3, 2021
Have you already received PR? Assume that means you didn’t get selected for the lottery so you’ll need to become a contract worker for your US employer. Yes you can stay for 2 years and if you get selected for the lottery leave after 3 years. You will need to advise CRA that you have left Canada and are no longer a resident and also advise you provincial healthcare plan that you are no longer in the province.
Thank you for the reply
  • i have not received PR yet
  • if you get selected for the lottery leave after 3 years.
    I could come back to US with L-1 visa after staying in foreign country (Canada in my case) for at least 1 year
  • You will need to advise CRA that you have left Canada and are no longer a resident
    Yeah, this is what i concern, if I'm a non-resident for tax, will I still be able to keep my permanent residency of Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would warn you that if the rules go back to needing to show intent to remain in Canada then your attempt to secure citizenship (which I assume is your plan) will not work. Does your employer have Canadian offices?