+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-Express Entry(PNP) Online Applications Gather here

Anastasiia1234

Jan 27, 2023
Yes, I am employed, and I contacted the Manitoba immigration office about WPSL. They told me they can't issue that letter for me because I have an open work permit (although I sent them an employment letter that I'm currently employed). They told me they can't help me and I need to apply for BOWP. I don't want to risk and wait till May (when my work permit expires) for AOR. Also, do you know what is the processing time for BOWP is? isn't it also like 3-4 months? Will I be able to work without a valid work permit if I applied for BOWP?

Anastasiia1234

Jan 27, 2023
If you are employed, some provinces can issue a work permit support letter that allows you to apply for a work permit from IRCC without the need for a LMIA (assuming that you don't have it) or AOR. In case of Manitoba I found this - https://immigratemanitoba.com/immigrate-to-manitoba/policies/wpsl/ . Check if you are eligible for it. If you are not employed or not eligible, just wait for the AOR. I'm 95% sure you'll receive it by May.
That's what I received from Manitoba immigration office:

Hello,

You did not submit the Compliance fee number and receipt from your employer. Our WPSLs are for closed Work permits.

Option 1: Bridging Open Work Permit
After you are nominated by the MPNP, you will be asked to submit your application for permanent residence in Canada to IRCC. You can apply for an bridging open work permit after you have received the Acknowledgement of your PR application from IRCC with your file number. Your current work permit must be valid when you apply for the new work permit.

Visit this link : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/permit/extend/permanent.asp

holy_molly

Star Member
Nov 22, 2021
Yes, I am employed, and I contacted the Manitoba immigration office about WPSL. They told me they can't issue that letter for me because I have an open work permit (although I sent them an employment letter that I'm currently employed). They told me they can't help me and I need to apply for BOWP. I don't want to risk and wait till May (when my work permit expires) for AOR. Also, do you know what is the processing time for BOWP is? isn't it also like 3-4 months? Will I be able to work without a valid work permit if I applied for BOWP?
hm, that is strange. Seems contradicting to me... The only other option is to make your employer get a LMIA and apply for a closed work permit.

When you apply for any work permit with an existing one, you are given an implied status and can stay in the country while they are processing your application.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
hm, that is strange. Seems contradicting to me... The only other option is to make your employer get a LMIA and apply for a closed work permit.

When you apply for any work permit with an existing one, you are given an implied status and can stay in the country while they are processing your application.
I wouldn't even ask them to apply for an LMIA - that will piss them off a lot if they've already provided support via MPNP. Honestly if I was your employer I would rather get rid of you than go through that process IF I have already done what you asked for in terms of documentation for MPNP and paying a compliance fee.

holy_molly

Star Member
Nov 22, 2021
I wouldn't even ask them to apply for an LMIA - that will piss them off a lot if they've already provided support via MPNP. Honestly if I was your employer I would rather get rid of you than go through that process IF I have already done what you asked for in terms of documentation for MPNP and paying a compliance fee.
We don't know if she applied with an employer support or not. There are so many different pathways. And when it's your only option, why not? When I talked to my employer, they said they'd do everything necessary for me to stay. It depends on what kind of relationship you have with your employer.

Anastasiia1234

Jan 27, 2023
my employer hasn't done anything for my provincial nomination, they only gave me a basic employment letter. But I don't want to ask them to pay that fee for me, that would be my last option.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
We don't know if she applied with an employer support or not. There are so many different pathways. And when it's your only option, why not? When I talked to my employer, they said they'd do everything necessary for me to stay. It depends on what kind of relationship you have with your employer.
An LMIA in this context is going too far, and it takes an extremely long time to get a positive/neutral opinion. The issue here is why MPNP isn't providing a WPSL - given AORs are coming in 3 months these days the OP is better off waiting and then they can apply for BOWP. If for any reason an AOR isn't issued by the time the expiry date of the open work permit approaches, then Manitoba HAS to give a WPSL otherwise they are going to negatively impact the Manitoban job market. That is not something they would want to do and they have full discretion to grant it based on the circumstances.

I would wait. Don't ask for an LMIA.

Reactions: Hope2022

holy_molly

Star Member
Nov 22, 2021
That's what I received from Manitoba immigration office:

Hello,

You did not submit the Compliance fee number and receipt from your employer. Our WPSLs are for closed Work permits.

Option 1:
Bridging Open Work Permit
After you are nominated by the MPNP, you will be asked to submit your application for permanent residence in Canada to IRCC. You can apply for an bridging open work permit after you have received the Acknowledgement of your PR application from IRCC with your file number. Your current work permit must be valid when you apply for the new work permit.

Visit this link : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/permit/extend/permanent.asp
wait I reread this letter and I think that the problem is that your employer didn't pay the compliance fee. That's why you can't get the letter. And the letter would give you a closed work permit. It shouldn't matter what kind of work permit you have right now.

Reactions: moscatojuices

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
wait I reread this letter and I think that the problem is that your employer didn't pay the compliance fee. That's why you can't get the letter. And the letter would give you a closed work permit. It shouldn't matter what kind of work permit you have right now.
Yikes there you go. Good catch, I'm tired today!

Anastasiia1234

Jan 27, 2023
Do you think it will be a good idea to apply for work permit and instead of WPSL attach their email reply that they don't issue WPSL for open WP? and then attach my current employment letter, and explain the situation?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Do you think it will be a good idea to apply for work permit and instead of WPSL attach their email reply that they don't issue WPSL for open WP? and then attach my current employment letter, and explain the situation?
No, IRCC will put your application in the bin. You either have an LMIA/LMIA-exempt number, along with payment of the compliance fee, or you won't be getting anything. This is the law. No explanations are required - it's your/your employer's job to meet the rules.

Anastasiia1234

Jan 27, 2023
sorry, I'm confused. Yes, the employer didn't pay that fee, because I have an open work permit.
I explained to MB immigration office that my current employer did not pay the fee because I have an open work permit, and they told me they don't issue WPSL for open work permits. What do you mean by "It shouldn't matter what kind of work permit you have right now", it shouldn't matter for what?

holy_molly

Star Member
Nov 22, 2021
WPSL are issued for people who need to apply for closed work permits skipping LMIA, not for people who are on closed work permits. They issue those letters exactly for the reasons when you are not eligible for BOWP. In order to do that, your employer must support it by paying the fee (if I recall correctly it's only about $230) and proving that they are a legit company .
BOWP is a different kind of work permit - it's an open work permit that has nothing to do with your employer.

Anastasiia1234

Jan 27, 2023
WPSL are issued for people who need to apply for closed work permits skipping LMIA, not for people who are on closed work permits. They issue those letters exactly for the reasons when you are not eligible for BOWP. In order to do that, your employer must support it by paying the fee (if I recall correctly it's only about $230) and proving that they are a legit company .
BOWP is a different kind of work permit - it's an open work permit that has nothing to do with your employer.
ooooh I see, thank you for the explanation, it makes sense now