AOR Received.
March 15th, 2010
File Transfer...
May 4th 2010
Passport Req..
June 22nd 2010
LANDED..........
Oct. 15th, 2010
I have a question- how and when can the non -accompanying kids come to Canada?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The children must be medically examined at the time their parent(s) was in order to be considered a member of the family class. They can then be sponsored after the parent has landed in Canada and becomes a permanent resident. The parent must be residing in Canada at the time of sponsoring the children.

sylvia3

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 18th,2010
AOR Received.
March 15th, 2010
File Transfer...
May 4th 2010
Passport Req..
June 22nd 2010
LANDED..........
Oct. 15th, 2010
So my husband has to sponsor his son after he lands, right? They've asked for his passport, so I guess it's just a matter of time. The kids did their medicals along with my husband, and they're still valid, but his oldest son wants to visit us in November. Does he come as a visitor, or can he apply here?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, your husband would sponsor his children after he lands. He must have permission from the mom to sponsor them to become permanent residents of Canada. His oldest son could only come as a visitor since he was listed as non-accompanying on your husband's application.

If you don't mind me asking, why weren't they included as accompanying on your application to sponsor your husband? It sounds like he wants to sponsor them as soon as he lands.

sylvia3

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 18th,2010
AOR Received.
March 15th, 2010
File Transfer...
May 4th 2010
Passport Req..
June 22nd 2010
LANDED..........
Oct. 15th, 2010
Thanx for the replies, rjessome. His oldest son- the one that wants to come to Canada will have turned 18 by the time he visits- he doesn't need permission from his mother then I assume. The reason I didn't sponsor along with my husband is that they weren't sure about the whole thing, their mother had full custody- no joint custody in Greece, but now that he's settling in and his older son is an adult, he chose to do it himself.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
rjessome said:
The children must be medically examined at the time their parent(s) was in order to be considered a member of the family class. They can then be sponsored after the parent has landed in Canada and becomes a permanent resident. The parent must be residing in Canada at the time of sponsoring the children.
A related question, please Rjessome?

I have read several explanations of why Canada requires information and medicals for family members, even where at the time of PR application there is NO plan to bring them to Canada. None of these explanations made compete sense.

My thought is that if the PR changes his/her mind and wants to bring children to Canada later, that is the proper time (not at PR application time) to get medicals and provide extensive information. Until then, it seems a waste of Canada's time to examine these non-accompanying family members.

And in the case of a bitter divorce, where the non-accompanying ex-spouse refuses to cooperate by getting the children medically examined, the would-be PR has a real problem on his or her hands.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toby said:
A related question, please Rjessome?

I have read several explanations of why Canada requires information and medicals for family members, even where at the time of PR application there is NO plan to bring them to Canada. None of these explanations made compete sense.

My thought is that if the PR changes his/her mind and wants to bring children to Canada later, that is the proper time (not at PR application time) to get medicals and provide extensive information. Until then, it seems a waste of Canada's time to examine these non-accompanying family members.

And in the case of a bitter divorce, where the non-accompanying ex-spouse refuses to cooperate by getting the children medically examined, the would-be PR has a real problem on his or her hands.
Except that in the past applicants "forgot" about children and didn't have them examined because they were medically inadmissible, which meant the application was refused (FSW applicants) then they applied for the children and as it was now a sponsorship, the child was excessive demand exempt.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
PMM said:
Hi

Except that in the past applicants "forgot" about children and didn't have them examined because they were medically inadmissible, which meant the application was refused (FSW applicants) then they applied for the children and as it was now a sponsorship, the child was excessive demand exempt.
Ahhh ... I get it! I thought that if a child was left off the list, there was no way to later apply to sponsor him or her. And I did not know a child was exempt from excessive (health) demand considerations. I thought only a spouse was exempt.

Thanks for clearing that up.