+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC for current job in Canada and NOC Primary occupation in EE Profile

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Hello,

I am working as a postdoc (NOC 41200) in Canada and have already completed 1 year, therefore, my profile in EE says that I have qualified for CEC.

Because Postdoc is a research based job and temporary in nature, after my current job contract, I would not be working for this NOC anymore.

Because I have a PhD degree in electrical and electronics engineering and at the same time I hold engineering license from British Columbia (License for practicing electrical engineering in the province). For sure, in future I will be considering to working as an electrical engineer or related jobs.

My question is about using NOC for PRIMARY Occupation. Is it possible that I use NOC of Electrical Engineer or Engineering Manager (I have 1+ year work experience in this NOC during the last 10 years). OR I must use my current NOC that qualifies me for CEC.

I am interested in knowing this mainly because NOC for Electrical Engineer and Engineering Manager are enlisted as occupation in demand for most PNP programs.

Last edited:

Elliott18

Feb 1, 2023
Hello,

I am working as a postdoc (NOC 41200) in Canada and have already completed 1 year, therefore, my profile in EE says that I have qualified for CEC.

Because Postdoc is a research based job and temporary in nature, after my current job contract, I would not be working for this NOC anymore.

Because I have a PhD degree in electrical and electronics engineering and at the same time I hold engineering license from British Columbia (License for practicing electrical engineering in the province). For sure, in future I will be considering to working as an electrical engineer or related jobs.

My question is about using NOC for PRIMARY Occupation. Is it possible that I use NOC of Electrical Engineer or Engineering Manager (I have 1+ year work experience in this NOC during the last 10 years). OR I must use my current NOC that qualifies me for CEC.

I am interested in knowing this mainly because NOC for Electrical Engineer and Engineering Manager are enlisted as occupation in demand for most PNP programs.
Hello, I can provide you with some general information.

The primary occupation that you list on your Express Entry profile should accurately reflect your current job duties and responsibilities, as well as your work experience. If you are planning to apply for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), you will need to use the NOC code that corresponds to your current job as a postdoc.

However, if you are planning to apply for permanent residence through a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), you may be able to use a different NOC code that corresponds to your previous work experience as an electrical engineer or engineering manager. Each PNP has its own eligibility criteria and requirements, so you will need to research the specific PNP program that you are interested in and determine if your work experience and qualifications meet the program's requirements.

It is recommended that you seek the advice of a licensed immigration consultant or a qualified immigration lawyer for specific guidance on your situation. They can review your credentials and provide you with personalized advice based on your individual circumstances.

Reactions: powereng1982

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Hello, I can provide you with some general information.

The primary occupation that you list on your Express Entry profile should accurately reflect your current job duties and responsibilities, as well as your work experience. If you are planning to apply for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), you will need to use the NOC code that corresponds to your current job as a postdoc.

However, if you are planning to apply for permanent residence through a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), you may be able to use a different NOC code that corresponds to your previous work experience as an electrical engineer or engineering manager. Each PNP has its own eligibility criteria and requirements, so you will need to research the specific PNP program that you are interested in and determine if your work experience and qualifications meet the program's requirements.

It is recommended that you seek the advice of a licensed immigration consultant or a qualified immigration lawyer for specific guidance on your situation. They can review your credentials and provide you with personalized advice based on your individual circumstances.
Thank you, this information seems highly useful.

caunak

Apr 11, 2023
Hi all,

I've received an ITA in late March, and plan to submit my application. I have a question and any help is much appreciated. It is regarding the NOC codes;

I have an engineering background and a PhD from outside Canada. I was paid during my PhD, and we didn't have any courses and it mostly was research, characterisation and experiments. I claimed the NOC code for my PhD experience the same as my background in engineering since I thought it also matched the job duties. In addition to that, I wanted that NOC code to be my primary/intended occupation (currently, I am a postdoc, and rather to have the engineering as the primary selection instead of the postdoc).

I was wondering whether it would be alright? has anyone had a similar experience and was it successful? I haven't yet accepted or decline the ITA.

What would be the best course of action in this case?

Thanks