+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC Codes 2174 or 2175 for a full stack Web Developer?

james89

Nov 4, 2015
Hi everyone,

This is probably more directed at those who have applied for Express Entry with one of these NOC codes but any help is appreciated. I am currently filling out the work experience section of Express Entry profile, but I'm unsure which NOC code to choose based on my job. It is between 2174 (Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers) and 2175 (Web Designers and Developers)

I am a full stack web developer, meaning that I'm generally responsible for programming the backend / server-side code for websites and web-based applications (using general purpose languages) as well as coding the front-end user interface with web-specific languages. I have also been involved with integrating content management systems for websites.

The typical requirements for the job are a degree in Computer Science or similar, as long as it involves programming. This seems to be more consistent with NOC 2174, as NOC 2175 says that degrees in Communication and Business are also acceptable. The duties of 2174 also have a particular focus on programming, where as 2175 appears to focus on content development (including graphic design) but still mentions programming. This is where I'm getting confused.

The example job titles listed for both codes are also rather ambiguous. 2174 includes Web Programmer and 2175 includes Web Developer. For the two jobs I've had in this industry, my previous job title was Web Developer and my current title is just Developer. However I'm unsure of whether my duties and skills fall more into 2174 or 2175.

I'm wanting to make sure that I pick the right one. If I do fall into both categories, I would rather pick the one which would be in higher demand. Can anyone advise on how I should proceed?

Thanks

Reactions: rajatkhare

GokulGuruprasad

Oct 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
james89 said:
Hi everyone,

This is probably more directed at those who have applied for Express Entry with one of these NOC codes but any help is appreciated. I am currently filling out the work experience section of Express Entry profile, but I'm unsure which NOC code to choose based on my job. It is between 2174 (Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers) and 2175 (Web Designers and Developers)

I am a full stack web developer, meaning that I'm generally responsible for programming the backend / server-side code for websites and web-based applications (using general purpose languages) as well as coding the front-end user interface with web-specific languages. I have also been involved with integrating content management systems for websites.

The typical requirements for the job are a degree in Computer Science or similar, as long as it involves programming. This seems to be more consistent with NOC 2174, as NOC 2175 says that degrees in Communication and Business are also acceptable. The duties of 2174 also have a particular focus on programming, where as 2175 appears to focus on content development (including graphic design) but still mentions programming. This is where I'm getting confused.

The example job titles listed for both codes are also rather ambiguous. 2174 includes Web Programmer and 2175 includes Web Developer. For the two jobs I've had in this industry, my previous job title was Web Developer and my current title is just Developer. However I'm unsure of whether my duties and skills fall more into 2174 or 2175.

I'm wanting to make sure that I pick the right one. If I do fall into both categories, I would rather pick the one which would be in higher demand. Can anyone advise on how I should proceed?

Thanks
You're 2175 I believe. 2174 is for more traditional forms of programming such as with OO models. Since you are a full stack web developer, you fall in 2175.

sms_1190

Feb 6, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
james89 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks
NOC doesn't matter, you should choose right NOC based on your job duties. I was a Full Stack Software Engineer and I chose 2174 and applied for OINP as my job duties matched with NOC 2174. For current job, I am a big data developer and also chose same.

prishah

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey James89,

You are belongs to 2175 Noc Code. The reason is you belongs to all type of coding requirement for web related content no matter it 's back end or front end. The main stream is web related content you are deal with it.
see this point : Plan, design, write, modify, integrate and test Web-site related code
Plus you are also dealing with database too. Hence, You definitely fall on 2175 category.

My role is software developer, and I am dealing with Mobile development plus Window based development feature. However, there is no general term about mobile development, it is essentially coding , testing, debugging, designing etc that we passed on all such stages during development process.

so my vote goes to 2175 for Full Stack Web Developer. As @sms_1190 has mentioned, your duties should matched with those 2174 or 2175 category essentially more important

Good Luck!

james89 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks

The-SpaceGuy

Aug 10, 2015
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prishah said:
Hey James89,

You are belongs to 2175 Noc Code. The reason is you belongs to all type of coding requirement for web related content no matter it 's back end or front end. The main stream is web related content you are deal with it.
see this point : Plan, design, write, modify, integrate and test Web-site related code
Plus you are also dealing with database too. Hence, You definitely fall on 2175 category.

My role is software developer, and I am dealing with Mobile development plus Window based development feature. However, there is no general term about mobile development, it is essentially coding , testing, debugging, designing etc that we passed on all such stages during development process.

so my vote goes to 2175 for Full Stack Web Developer. As @sms_1190 has mentioned, your duties should matched with those 2174 or 2175 category essentially more important

Good Luck!
I already received my ITA, nevertheless can I change my NOC ? Thank you

prishah

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey @The-SpaceGuy,

I am not too sure, whether you could change NOC or not after receiving ITA. What's ur designation and what you have mentioned Noc code?
Experience members feel free to advice regarding for this as well.

Cheers!

The-SpaceGuy said:
I already received my ITA, nevertheless can I change my NOC ? Thank you

The-SpaceGuy

Aug 10, 2015
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prishah said:
Hey @The-SpaceGuy,

I am not too sure, whether you could change NOC or not after receiving ITA. What's ur designation and what you have mentioned Noc code?
Experience members feel free to advice regarding for this as well.

Cheers!
Thanks, some one messaged me in private.. I got it resolved. thanks for the help

The-SpaceGuy

Aug 10, 2015
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can I someone please help me clarifying my noc:

Design, develop and support databases, data marts, data dictionaries and metadata repositories
Lead data preparation activities including exploration, cleansing, validation, integration, transformation, and aggregation of data
Design and implement technical enhancements to the enterprise data warehouse, including database design, ETL processes, access and security
Develop of ETL processes and re-usable packages according to standards reflecting industry-specific best practices
Develop SQL queries and complex SQL joins, triggers and stored procedures
Participate in the analysis and resolution of issues related to information content, data integrity, integration, and performance
Conduct proactive database monitoring to identify performance improvement opportunities
Work as part of an application development team; create structured code for integration into larger systems, as well as documentation for ongoing maintenance in production environments
Work closely with Data Architects, Project Managers, Quality Assurance Analysts and Business Intelligence Consultants
Conduct research and make recommendations on database products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts

Thank you

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NC-NOC-CNP-GD@hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca

You may email to this id for NOC Code verification. Usually they take 5-10 days

"Our goal is to respond to your enquiry within five to ten working days. However, depending on the nature of your question and the volume of emails received daily, it may take longer. A representative from the NOC Team will follow-up with you as soon as possible."

Reactions: rajatkhare

The-SpaceGuy

Aug 10, 2015
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajibsam said:
NC-NOC-CNP-GD@hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca

You may email to this id for NOC Code verification. Usually they take 5-10 days

"Our goal is to respond to your enquiry within five to ten working days. However, depending on the nature of your question and the volume of emails received daily, it may take longer. A representative from the NOC Team will follow-up with you as soon as possible."

Thank you

joe9kah

Dec 20, 2015
Hi Guys,

Please help me in identifying the correct NOC code . My title is Programmer Analyst and below are my job duties :-

Translate business requirements into technical specifications
Properly develop and manage software code using available tools
Test code to ensure reliable functionality
Manage development, test and production environments
Review user requirements, enhance and develop Corporate Systems to meet needs
Review code and assist manager to coordinate software development priorities
Analyze business situations to create programming solutions
Understand all .NET applications within the Corporation
Propose technical solutions to the manager including appropriate development environment
Work with Project Leader to establish project schedule for migration between the system

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
joe9kah said:
Hi Guys,

Please help me in identifying the correct NOC code . My title is Programmer Analyst and below are my job duties :-

Translate business requirements into technical specifications
Properly develop and manage software code using available tools
Test code to ensure reliable functionality
Manage development, test and production environments
Review user requirements, enhance and develop Corporate Systems to meet needs
Review code and assist manager to coordinate software development priorities
Analyze business situations to create programming solutions
Understand all .NET applications within the Corporation
Propose technical solutions to the manager including appropriate development environment
Work with Project Leader to establish project schedule for migration between the system
2173 can fit

popoxee

Star Member
May 4, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a full stack dev, and I am actually using 2171

NOC does not really matter that much, as long as it is related to your job duties...
2170+ fit most of software/IT people