+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC Code conflict

Apr 19, 2019
Hi all,

I am asking this question as even after a thorough google search, I am unable to find such a situation. I am applying under CEC. I work as a Risk Analyst for a Canadian bank and my HR states my NOC code to be 1114. However, my duties are not at all aligned with this NOC. It is much more aligned with NOC 4162. I am thoroughly confused on what to do. Should I go ahead with NOC 4162 and write a letter of explanation to IRCC stating why I believe this is the correct NOC code instead of going with the one, my company provided me? Or should I buckle and try and align my job duties to meet the NOC 1114, which would be a very challenging task. The HR told me they can give a letter than doesn't mention the NOC, however, if IRCC requests for verification, they will state its NOC 1114. NOC 1114 talks about client facing roles and personal financial advisor. However, I work in risk and build regulatory statistical and econometric models, conduct forecasts, etc. which is more suited towards NOC 4162.

Request the community for a viable solution that does not endanger my application.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi all,

I am asking this question as even after a thorough google search, I am unable to find such a situation. I am applying under CEC. I work as a Risk Analyst for a Canadian bank and my HR states my NOC code to be 1114. However, my duties are not at all aligned with this NOC. It is much more aligned with NOC 4162. I am thoroughly confused on what to do. Should I go ahead with NOC 4162 and write a letter of explanation to IRCC stating why I believe this is the correct NOC code instead of going with the one, my company provided me? Or should I buckle and try and align my job duties to meet the NOC 1114, which would be a very challenging task. The HR told me they can give a letter than doesn't mention the NOC, however, if IRCC requests for verification, they will state its NOC 1114. NOC 1114 talks about client facing roles and personal financial advisor. However, I work in risk and build regulatory statistical and econometric models, conduct forecasts, etc. which is more suited towards NOC 4162.

Request the community for a viable solution that does not endanger my application.
It is not mandatory that the reference letter includes an NOC. But if it does and you disagree with it, you should still chose the NOC that aligns with your job duties and responsibilities (and lead statement), and include the letter of explanation. Without knowing what your job duties are, that's the best I can say.

Often, the financial/banking industry has separate NOC codes for roles that may be similar in different industries, but note that the lead statement for NOC 4162 DOES include banks, so it should be OK.
"They are employed by government departments and agencies and throughout the private sector in associations, unions, research organizations, banks and investment firms. "

Apr 19, 2019
It is not mandatory that the reference letter includes an NOC. But if it does and you disagree with it, you should still chose the NOC that aligns with your job duties and responsibilities (and lead statement), and include the letter of explanation. Without knowing what your job duties are, that's the best I can say.

Often, the financial/banking industry has separate NOC codes for roles that may be similar in different industries, but note that the lead statement for NOC 4162 DOES include banks, so it should be OK.
"They are employed by government departments and agencies and throughout the private sector in associations, unions, research organizations, banks and investment firms. "
Thanks for the advice. So I spoke further with the HR and he said that even my JD during hiring was listed as NOC 1114 (obviously in the background system). I checked my original JD. While it's more generic and I could try and align it with 1114, I still feel it should be under 4162. What I'm worried about is if I go ahead with 4162, and IRCC calls my company to verify then my company will state 1114 is the correct NOC. So should then I just budge and try and align it to NOC 1114 or still proceed with 4162. It's basically a question now of how I see it vs my company.

Unfortunately I can't share much, but for example, I build Basel (regulatory) models and feel that should be under 4162. My JD is worded to say, works to comply with regulatory requirements, which if loosely interpreted could be filed under 1114, I guess.

But does it matter if I write a LoE to IRCC, but my company says otherwise?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks for the advice. So I spoke further with the HR and he said that even my JD during hiring was listed as NOC 1114 (obviously in the background system). I checked my original JD. While it's more generic and I could try and align it with 1114, I still feel it should be under 4162. What I'm worried about is if I go ahead with 4162, and IRCC calls my company to verify then my company will state 1114 is the correct NOC. So should then I just budge and try and align it to NOC 1114 or still proceed with 4162. It's basically a question now of how I see it vs my company.

Unfortunately I can't share much, but for example, I build Basel (regulatory) models and feel that should be under 4162. My JD is worded to say, works to comply with regulatory requirements, which if loosely interpreted could be filed under 1114, I guess.

But does it matter if I write a LoE to IRCC, but my company says otherwise?
IRCC is not going to simply accept your company's choice of NOC. They will review the job duties and responsibilities and determine if they match the NOC you selected for your work experience., or not. In other cases where applicants have had difficulty chosing between NOCs, writing a letter of explanation about the 2 NOCs and why you chose the one you did - it makes all the difference in the world.

Again, without seeing your full job description, it is not possible for me to give an opinion about any specific NOC.