+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 4012 - Research/Teaching Assistant questions

diana4real

May 22, 2018
All RA experience counts provided its post bachelors degree.

I have successfully claimed PPR using RA experience under NOC 4012

My 2 years RA in masters program counted to 1.3 years equivalent due to 20 hrs/week and this was back in INDIA.

I have 4 years RA experience in USA under NOC 4012 and same duties during PhD program so that counted to 2.6 years.

These work experiences totaled to more than 3 years which i claimed for PPR.

So yes RA/TA experience counts under NOC 4012 for FSW points but for CEC, unfortunately you cant use RA/TA while studying in CANADA.
Please what do you mean by "So yes RA/TA experience counts under NOC 4012 for FSW points but for CEC"
Do you mean the experience counts for FSW but not for CEC?
Thank you

jessy_tim

Dec 18, 2018
Hi,

I'm pursuing my Phd in USA (f1 visa) and will be completing it on 2020.My question is if I apply and get Canada PR before 2020 can I come back to USA to continue my studies?

shuttlespace

Dec 5, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-09-2018
AOR Received.
28-09-2018
Med's Done....
27-10-2018
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
Hi,

I'm pursuing my Phd in USA (f1 visa) and will be completing it on 2020.My question is if I apply and get Canada PR before 2020 can I come back to USA to continue my studies?
Yes. you can do a soft landing and return back to the US to complete your PhD.
Obligatory period is 2 years of presence in 5 years. Rest of the time, you can stay in the US.

Reactions: jessy_tim

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
Are you a US citizen? If not, you are not legally allowed to work 30 hrs/week on student visa. The maximum allowed time is 20 hrs/week.
Also, is your TA/RA experience continuous throughout University breaks (e.g., summer, winter)?
I know this post is a bit old, but just wanted to point out that the 20-hr limit is correct for the most part but not entirely correct.

From ICE (so I didn’t make this up):

https://www.ice.gov/sevis/employment

F1 student on campus > What are the basic guidelines for on-campus employment:

• May work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session ( full-time during those periods when school is not in session or during the annual vacation)

TADA! So if full-time when off session => counts as 30 hrs per week. Not a whole lot more than 20, but it’s something still

yhan

Star Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hi,

I am doing PhD in US. I have been TA for last 4.5 years. How many years of work experience would that count?

I have also been a chess instructor teaching chess online though a company for last 6 years.

(http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getAllExample&TVD=122372&CVD=122376&CPV=5254&CST=01012011&CLV=4&MLV=5&V=81573&VST=01012011).

Would that also count as work experience?

TA and RA experience would be counted if you applied FSW. Part-time hours can be transformed into full-time hours and see how many full-time it would be. When I was a PhD student in the US, I did 5 years TA or RA job continuously. I claimed NOC 4012 as my primary job, and I've got my PPR

Reactions: mandy15leo

mandy15leo

Mar 11, 2019
TA and RA experience would be counted if you applied FSW. Part-time hours can be transformed into full-time hours and see how many full-time it would be. When I was a PhD student in the US, I did 5 years TA or RA job continuously. I claimed NOC 4012 as my primary job, and I've got my PPR
Hi
Congratulations. How much time it took TO GET PPR?

I have worked as RA 40 hours per week durodu PhD as in India it is completely research based. I got ITA.

Reactions: Kanae

CanadaITA2020

May 6, 2019
Guys I have read all the post and thanks for sharing.

My question is related to the one posed at the very beginning: I receive payments in my bank account and can get a statement from the bank showing salary but I can't get a letter from the University of supervisor at this moment. Will the bank statement be sufficient to prove RA/TA experience?

Thank you

yhan

Star Member
Jul 28, 2018

My question is related to the one posed at the very beginning: I receive payments in my bank account and can get a statement from the bank showing salary but I can't get a letter from the University of supervisor at this moment. Will the bank statement be sufficient to prove RA/TA experience?

Thank you
The best evidence would be pay stub, or tax transcript. If you don't have them, bank statement can be an alternative

karki

Feb 11, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Winnepig
NOC Code......
4012 and 6311
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-02-2019

Thank you
You need a reference letter from university. Its Mandatory !!

yhan

Star Member
Jul 28, 2018
You need a reference letter from university. Its Mandatory !!
Yes, reference letters from University are crucial. Employment Verification Letter from the HR department, Duty Verification Letter from your PhD advisor, pay stub or tax transcript, are all needed

Reactions: ndoan95

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other

Thank you
There are other important documents that u can upload. Such as your contract letter, any appraisal form mentioning your name, u can ask HR to give u responsibilities for your particular position I guess that’s your rite, pay stubs, bank statements showing salary coming in and the list goes on . Also if u can email your supervisor or HR asking them about cic specific letter and their refusal to issue such letter can help u as well. This will show that u tried your best to get the letter but your employer isn’t willing. To hand over such thing