+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 4012 - Research/Teaching Assistant questions

yhan

Star Member
Jul 28, 2018
I did my TA and RA job in the US, so documents that I prepared were: (1) Employment verification letter from HR, (2) Job Duty Verification Letter from my PhD advisor, (3) Official Tax Transcript from US IRS.

When i requested all these documents from my university, I had graduated more than two years, so HR really couldn't provide the pay stub. But I used Tax Transcript to support that I had the salary.

The truth is Canada IRCC didn't ask me for any other documents and I've got my PPR.

CanadaITA2020

May 6, 2019
There are other important documents that u can upload. Such as your contract letter, any appraisal form mentioning your name, u can ask HR to give u responsibilities for your particular position I guess that’s your rite, pay stubs, bank statements showing salary coming in and the list goes on . Also if u can email your supervisor or HR asking them about cic specific letter and their refusal to issue such letter can help u as well. This will show that u tried your best to get the letter but your employer isn’t willing. To hand over such thing
Yes, reference letters from University are crucial. Employment Verification Letter from the HR department, Duty Verification Letter from your PhD advisor, pay stub or tax transcript, are all needed
Yes, reference letters from University are crucial. Employment Verification Letter from the HR department, Duty Verification Letter from your PhD advisor, pay stub or tax transcript, are all needed
You need a reference letter from university. Its Mandatory !!
Thank you all for your responses. The main problem here lies in the fact that it might not really be viewed officially as employment by the university. Maybe a letter can be provided for TA purposes but the RA is directly in line with my thesis work so as far as HR is concerned they are not in a position to issue that. Also we I dont know if others get pay stubs, tax etc but technically we just get the money in our account with all deductions already made at the source. If it helps I'm from Eurasian region

yhan

Star Member
Jul 28, 2018
Thank you all for your responses. The main problem here lies in the fact that it might not really be viewed officially as employment by the university. Maybe a letter can be provided for TA purposes but the RA is directly in line with my thesis work so as far as HR is concerned they are not in a position to issue that. Also we I dont know if others get pay stubs, tax etc but technically we just get the money in our account with all deductions already made at the source. If it helps I'm from Eurasian region

Well, this really depends on the university. I got my PhD degree in the USA, and my university regarded TA and RA as employment. I didn't have any problems to get the employment verification letter from the university HR department, and I got my PPR without any issues.

Sorry about the pathetic experience you've been through. Hope all well.

Raha_1986

Oct 31, 2017
Need advice immediately...
My husband and I are going to apply through EE under FSW. We are going to do it through NOC 4012 as my husband was a PhD student. I know that since he didn't have work permit, it doesn't count as Canadian work experience. But, when we answer to questions to check the eligibility and make our express entry profile, should we enter "None" for how many years of work experience he has in Canada and "3 years or more" for his overall work experience in the last ten years? It is confusing as the work was done in Canada but it is considered as foreign work experience.

Thanks

yhan

Star Member
Jul 28, 2018
My husband and I are going to apply through EE under FSW. We are going to do it through NOC 4012 as my husband was a PhD student. I know that since he didn't have work permit, it doesn't count as Canadian work experience. But, when we answer to questions to check the eligibility and make our express entry profile, should we enter "None" for how many years of work experience he has in Canada and "3 years or more" for his overall work experience in the last ten years? It is confusing as the work was done in Canada but it is considered as foreign work experience.

Thanks

Hi, since I didn't do my PhD in Canada, so I really can't give you a definite answer. I know if you consider this "3 years" as Canadian Experience, the system would automatically consider you under "CEC EE" category, but TA or RA in Canada will not be considered as Canadian experience.

karki

Feb 11, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Winnepig
NOC Code......
4012 and 6311
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-02-2019
Hi, since I didn't do my PhD in Canada, so I really can't give you a definite answer. I know if you consider this "3 years" as Canadian Experience, the system would automatically consider you under "CEC EE" category, but TA or RA in Canada will not be considered as Canadian experience.
It is not necessary that all TA and RA are done while having study permit. It can be while having work permit. They can be considered as CEC.

Last edited:

karki

Feb 11, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Winnepig
NOC Code......
4012 and 6311
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-02-2019

Thanks
This answer is little bit tricky ! As you did PHD in study permit in Canada so may be its not counted as work experiences. But I am not sure, it may be counted too, need to do some more research. Beside this For Master and PHD graduate students there may be PNP available. Go for it.

yhan

Star Member
Jul 28, 2018
It is not necessary that all TA and RA are done while having study permit. It can be while having work permit. They can be considered as CEC.
Hey man, I think she made it really clear. When they worked as TA and RA, they didn't have the working permit. So if it was not working permit, how could it be considered as Canadian Experience????

karki

Feb 11, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Winnepig
NOC Code......
4012 and 6311
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-02-2019
Hey man, I think she made it really clear. When they worked as TA and RA, they didn't have the working permit. So if it was not working permit, how could it be considered as Canadian Experience????
First of all you told " ..... but TA or RA in Canada will not be considered as Canadian experience." the answer is yes only if done in student permit.
Secondly, RA/TA done on other country while study permit can be accessed as Foreigner experiences but RA and TA in Canada while enrolling full time student cannot be used as a experiences.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=29

Somu_mds

Nov 17, 2019
Hi all. Kindly clarify my doubts regarding my NOC code. I completed by MDS( Master of Dental surgery on 2009. 2009-2017 I was working as senior lecturer and assistant professor at university (8 year experience ). I have all the experience reference letters for the NOC code 4011. At 2017 I joined PHD and I’m currently a PhD student. For past 2 years from 2017- till date my job scope falls under the NOC code 4012 ( research assistant and TA ). How to proceed with my NOC code ? Either I use 4011 or go for 4012? Or can I use the 2 years from 2017 till date with my previous 8 years experience? I’m confused. Kindly suggest your feedbacks. Your help most appreciated. Best wishes.

shuttlespace

Dec 5, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-09-2018
AOR Received.
28-09-2018
Med's Done....
27-10-2018
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
Hi all. Kindly clarify my doubts regarding my NOC code. I completed by MDS( Master of Dental surgery on 2009. 2009-2017 I was working as senior lecturer and assistant professor at university (8 year experience ). I have all the experience reference letters for the NOC code 4011. At 2017 I joined PHD and I’m currently a PhD student. For past 2 years from 2017- till date my job scope falls under the NOC code 4012 ( research assistant and TA ). How to proceed with my NOC code ? Either I use 4011 or go for 4012? Or can I use the 2 years from 2017 till date with my previous 8 years experience? I’m confused. Kindly suggest your feedbacks. Your help most appreciated. Best wishes.
base your application on NOC4011 , where you have high experience. You could mention that you do have 2yr experience in NOC4012 but your application is evaluated based on one NOC code and I would go with the one in which you have 8 yrs.

mandy15leo

Mar 11, 2019
Hi
Experience must be within last ten years. You can use 4011 to claim crs points and 4012 mention in personal activity after getting ITA.

Somu_mds

Nov 17, 2019
Hi
Experience must be within last ten years. You can use 4011 to claim crs points and 4012 mention in personal activity after getting ITA.
base your application on NOC4011 , where you have high experience. You could mention that you do have 2yr experience in NOC4012 but your application is evaluated based on one NOC code and I would go with the one in which you have 8 yrs.

sonia.jejo

May 17, 2020
Hi All,

I am a recent Masters Graduate from a reputed Canadian university. The only paid work that I have done so far was as a Masters student at the Canadian university. I have worked in the lab on my masters project full-time (40hrs/week) for more than 2 years, and was paid by my supervisor (stipend). Can I use this as work experience and claim the 15 points towards my eligibility for the FSW program? If my supervisor is unwilling to provide me with a work experience letter detailing the above, who else can I get the letter from? Any suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated

Reactions: mandy15leo