+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 4012 - Research/Teaching Assistant questions

CLapika25512

Apr 19, 2017
Alberta
NOC Code......
Hi all,
I'm currently a MSc student in Canada, I also work as research assistant for the same lab (different projects not part of my studies). I do got paid, but it's through stipend.
Now I was wondering if I could apply under Federal skilled program, I just need to be able to apply and doesn't need the point this experience got me.
-Could I apply for PR under Express Entry when I finish my program? Could I claim I work 15h/week for 2 years continuously? I could get reference letter to state this. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=29.
-For proof of salary, could the stipend, T4A slip is sufficient?
I've browsed through the forum and even talked to people who had applied this way and they say it's risky, but doable. One person got her PR this way. So I was wondering if there's anything specifically state I can't use my RA experience while in Canada?
THank you.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Forum Members,
I have been working as a Teaching/Research Assistant for 2 years ( 2015-2017) while doing my Master in the US. I am planning to apply for PR under the FSW. I wonder if I can claim points for that experience outside using NOC 4012. I work as a TA/RA for 30 20 hours a week for 2 years. In other words, can claim points for both eligibility and EE once in the pool with TA/RA experience outside Canada for 2 years?

Part-time experience is eligible, however, you have to pro-rate it. Example, 104 weeks * 20 hours per week / 30 hours per week FTE = 69 weeks FTE (e.g. more than one year, but less than 2). If you have more than 104 weeks, then you can count it as 2 years.

Yes, if it really is continuous, then it would count for the 1 year of full-time, continuous work experience (under the minimum entry criteria). As to whether it will be accepted, it all depends on how it is described in the Letter of reference from your supervisor/university.

I also have one year experience in the Business Industry working as an Analyst. However, the 1 year experience is discontinued. Meaning, I work first as an analyst for a period of 7 months between May 2012 and November 20112. Later, I work as an analyst for 3 months between December 2013 and March 2014. Finally, recently as an analyst from June 2017 to September 2017. I wonder if I can claim points for analyst experience under FSW with the above. Do we need 1 year experience without interruption?

You can count it in your total work experience, but you cannot use it for your primary NOC, because it does not meet the one year, continuous requirement (use the TA experience for that).

ruhin

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Hi all,
I'm currently a MSc student in Canada, I also work as research assistant for the same lab (different projects not part of my studies). I do got paid, but it's through stipend.
Now I was wondering if I could apply under Federal skilled program, I just need to be able to apply and doesn't need the point this experience got me.
-Could I apply for PR under Express Entry when I finish my program? Could I claim I work 15h/week for 2 years continuously? I could get reference letter to state this. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=29.
-For proof of salary, could the stipend, T4A slip is sufficient?
I've browsed through the forum and even talked to people who had applied this way and they say it's risky, but doable. One person got her PR this way. So I was wondering if there's anything specifically state I can't use my RA experience while in Canada?
THank you.
I have recently applied using Canadian RA experience. Got PPR on August 01.

CLapika25512

Apr 19, 2017
Alberta
NOC Code......
I have recently applied using Canadian RA experience. Got PPR on August 01.
That's awesome! Congratulations!
Could I ask a few quick questions?
-Is your tax slip to prove paid work T4A or T4, does it matter at all?
-When you try to open a profile for EE, does it ask you if you hold a work permit? Because I've heard this is the main reason why most people didn't successfully apply to federal stream.
-Did you apply after 1 year full time or 2 years part time? I've been working in the lab for more than 30hs per week so I'm not sure if I can get a letter after just one year then apply, or should I wait 2 years.
Thank you so much, your simple answer gave me so much hope.

Reactions: moonshifter91

ruhin

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
That's awesome! Congratulations!
Could I ask a few quick questions?
-Is your tax slip to prove paid work T4A or T4, does it matter at all?
-When you try to open a profile for EE, does it ask you if you hold a work permit? Because I've heard this is the main reason why most people didn't successfully apply to federal stream.
-Did you apply after 1 year full time or 2 years part time? I've been working in the lab for more than 30hs per week so I'm not sure if I can get a letter after just one year then apply, or should I wait 2 years.
Thank you so much, your simple answer gave me so much hope.
1. I did not submit T4 or T4A. University provided me with a verification letter that says a) Positions held, b) Timeline of position held, c) Per hour salary, d) Total salary paid per year and e)Total hours worked. My colleagues gave me a letter verifying job responsibility.

2. I did not hold a work permit. RA is a work permit exempt profession for students.

3. I had total 2 year 8 month experience working 40 hrs/week

CLapika25512

Apr 19, 2017
Alberta
NOC Code......
1. I did not submit T4 or T4A. University provided me with a verification letter that says a) Positions held, b) Timeline of position held, c) Per hour salary, d) Total salary paid per year and e)Total hours worked. My colleagues gave me a letter verifying job responsibility.

2. I did not hold a work permit. RA is a work permit exempt profession for students.

Thank you Ruhin, so the RA work you did was working on your project in the Master program right? Thank you so much for your time.

andyding13

Feb 11, 2017
No I am not a citizen. Yes you are right, the maximum allowed time is 20hrs/week. That is what I did. Sorry for the 30 hours mistake. Yes, TA/RA experience was continuous throughout University breaks (e.g., summer, winter). I started January 2015 and ended my TA/RA experience in May 2017. In the CIC website, it states that: equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours) makes you eligible.

Am I qualified here to use it as a work experience under FSW?
Congrats. I think you are qualified for FSW. You have 28 months with 20 hours/week. Your experience is definitely > 1 year full-time equivalent. If your total experience (+business analyst) > 3 years, you can fetch more points in CRS. Otherwise, you can claim 1 year work experience.

CLapika25512

Apr 19, 2017
Alberta
NOC Code......
Hi Ruhin, didn't the study permit only allow you to work 20h/week? If you didn't have a study permit, how did they let you apply with 40h/week? Isn't that against the permit rule?.

ruhin

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Hi Ruhin, didn't the study permit only allow you to work 20h/week? If you didn't have a study permit, how did they let you apply with 40h/week? Isn't that against the permit rule?.
RA is an On-Campus work permit exempt position. 20hr/week is the rule for off-campus work

Reactions: CLapika25512

EROS_27

Mar 11, 2017
Congrats. I think you are qualified for FSW. You have 28 months with 20 hours/week. Your experience is definitely > 1 year full-time equivalent. If your total experience (+business analyst) > 3 years, you can fetch more points in CRS. Otherwise, you can claim 1 year work experience.
This is good news as I do have 1 year experience as a financial analyst but it is not continuous. As a result, I will most likely use my TA/RA experience.

Prakash17

Dec 23, 2017
Can someone please help regarding my FSW eligibility and my Years of Work Experience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Been in the US since last 7 years

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) Masters Degree in Computer Science, USA (3 Years)
-- Teaching Assistant (Paid + 20 hrs/week) for the 6 semesters -- [NOC: 4012]
-- 1st Summer: Research Assistant (Paid + 40 hrs/week) -- [NOC: 4012]
-- 2nd Summer: Summer Internship at a Software Company (Paid + 40 hrs/week)

Question 1) Do I full-fill the minimum FSW Eligibility Criteria of having at least 1 Year of FULL-TIME + PAID + CONTINUOUS Work Experience ?

Question 2)
Do I calculate this work experience as

a) [#TA Weeks * (20 hrs/week) / (30 hrs/week)] + [#RA Weeks * (40 hrs/week) / (30 hrs/week)] = FTE #Weeks of TA+RA Work Exp. ?

OR

b) [15 hrs/week * #TA weeks] + [30 hrs/week * #RA Weeks] .. (to see if this equals 1560 hrs) ==> to have 1 Year of Full Time TA+RA Work Exp. ?

One Main Question :
I have been a MS Grad for at least 2 years, during which I worked CONTINUOUSLY as TA/RA (Aug 2010 - May 2012)
==> Fall 2010 (TA, 20 hrs/week) + Spring 2011 (TA, 20 hrs/week) + Summer 2011 (RA, 40 hrs/week) + Fall 2011 (TA, 20 hrs/week) + Spring 2012 (TA, 20 hrs/week)
==> Even though academic years are not 52 weeks ==> Wont these 2 academic years of continuous work qualify me for at least 1 YEAR OF CONTINUOUS + PAID + FULL-TIME WORK EXP ?

Due to Summer Internship in Software Company in Summer 2012 (NOC different from NOC-4012) ==> leads to discontinuity, otherwise: was (TA, 20 hrs/week) for Fall 2012 & Spring 2013.

3) Working on Contract Projects in IT (USA)

A) Company A: Oct 2013 -- May 2015 .. (OPT + H1B)

-- Oct 2013 - July 2014 ==> Paid
-- Aug 2014 -- Sep 2014 ==> NO PAY .. (transition between project + on OPT-EAD)
-- Sep 2014 - May 2015 ==> Paid

Switch from Company A to B (June & July) -- No Pay:

B) Company B: July 2015 --Jan 2017 .. (H1B)

-- Aug 2015 -- March 2016 ==> Paid
-- April 2016 ==> Not Paid
-- May 2016 -- Feb 2017 ==> Paid

Question) Do I full-fill the minimum FSW Eligibility Criteria of having at least 1 Year of FULL-TIME + PAID + CONTINUOUS Work Experience ?

Question) All over, AM I ELIGIBLE FOR FSW ?
Question) If so, How many Total Years of Work Experience can I get from my Experience ?

Please suggest .. Thanks ..

Last edited:

Prakash17

Dec 23, 2017
No I am not a citizen. Yes you are right, the maximum allowed time is 20hrs/week. That is what I did. Sorry for the 30 hours mistake. Yes, TA/RA experience was continuous throughout University breaks (e.g., summer, winter). I started January 2015 and ended my TA/RA experience in May 2017. In the CIC website, it states that: equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours) makes you eligible.

Am I qualified here to use it as a work experience under FSW?
@EROS_27, @andyding13:
For International Graduate Students doing MS/PhD in USA and working as TA/RA ==> Semesters they can work max. 20 hrs/week but during breaks/Summer they can work max. 40 hrs/week .. (TA/RA + if they choose to intern off-campus as well)

pawansh

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
All RA experience counts provided its post bachelors degree.

I have successfully claimed PPR using RA experience under NOC 4012

My 2 years RA in masters program counted to 1.3 years equivalent due to 20 hrs/week and this was back in INDIA.

I have 4 years RA experience in USA under NOC 4012 and same duties during PhD program so that counted to 2.6 years.

These work experiences totaled to more than 3 years which i claimed for PPR.

So yes RA/TA experience counts under NOC 4012 for FSW points but for CEC, unfortunately you cant use RA/TA while studying in CANADA.
were you getting salary during research or were you on scholarship?

diana4real

May 22, 2018
All RA experience counts provided its post bachelors degree.

I have successfully claimed PPR using RA experience under NOC 4012

My 2 years RA in masters program counted to 1.3 years equivalent due to 20 hrs/week and this was back in INDIA.

I have 4 years RA experience in USA under NOC 4012 and same duties during PhD program so that counted to 2.6 years.

These work experiences totaled to more than 3 years which i claimed for PPR.

So yes RA/TA experience counts under NOC 4012 for FSW points but for CEC, unfortunately you cant use RA/TA while studying in CANADA.
Please, I need more information on how you presented your experience. In Denmark, PhD is also regarded as an employment but Canada immigration webiste says they don't count period of studies during PhD as full-time experience in Canada. Is that for just Canadian PhD?