+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 2173 overlapping with NOC 2174, Confused!!!

Dec 9, 2016
Guys, can anyone tell what would be the NOC as per these job description?
Designation: Software Engineer

Duties:
  • Designed, developed and maintained the financial software applications related to financial data packaging with high quality standards.
  • Wrote, modified and tested high-quality the software code using different programming languages such as C/C++, C#.Net.
  • Identified the technical problems, discussed the processes with team and suggested the possible solutions.
  • Testing, debugging and fixing software programs errors using software testing procedures.
  • Ensured that application should be programmed as per user functional requirements and guidelines.
  • Deployment of the software applications on the testing and production environment.
  • Writing, updating and maintaining end user requirement documents.
I have worked on the following technologies:
  • C/C++, Microsoft C# .Net, Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0.
  • Microsoft visual studio 2010, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, Microsoft SQL server 2008, Microsoft installer project.
  • SVN

Dec 9, 2016
Thanks for the reply but I am confused that my duties are the mixture of both software engineering (2173) and Development (2174). What should I do in that case ?

rickiricki

Star Member
Aug 4, 2017
2174, regardless of the title.
Hi Bellaluna,

I am into software development industry. Plz advice which is the right NOC code for me. I am really confused as it matches a little with a few NOC code, but does not match perfectly or highly with any once NOC code.

Following are my duties:

1. Business requirement elicitation through workshops and frequent discussions with customers.
2. Documenting system requirements into Use Cases, User Stories and Business Data Definitions.
3. Assist software architect team in preparing software design document.
4. Create Business Process Models for the software application.
5. Estimating size and effort of the user stories/ software application through function point calculations.
6. Create product backlog to prioritize and plan the application features for development ·
7. Perform system functional testing, integration testing and user acceptance testing.
8. Create simulations and concept documents for the end user of the software application.

I am not writing here the NOC codes I am confused between, to get an unbiased view.

USD2CAD

Feb 9, 2018
Guys... do you think this is 2173 or 2174 ??????? I have switched 3 times in my EE profile. Still unsure... Please help.

 Analyzes business requirements/processes and system integration considerations to determine appropriate technology solutions for internal and external customers. Designs, evaluates, codes, configures, tests and documents applications based on system and user requirements.
 Using current programming language and technologies writes code, completes programming and performs testing and debugging of applications. Completes documentation and procedures for installation and maintenance.
 Develops statements of problems and requirements, designs systems and programs, and writes programs in computer language for solution by means of data processing equipment. Prepares flowcharts and systems diagrams to assist in problem analysis. Responsible for preparing design documentation.
 Designs, codes, tests, debugs and documents software according to systems standards, policies and, procedures, security and compliance requirements.
 Prepares test data for unit, string and parallel testing.
 Analyzes business needs and creates defines software solutions including custom developed and off the shelf software.
 Evaluates and recommends software and hardware solutions to meet user needs. Resolves customer issues with software solutions and responds to suggestions for improvements and enhancements.
 Interacts with business users, I/T, vendors and customers to define current and future application requirements.

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Guys... do you think this is 2173 or 2174 ??????? I have switched 3 times in my EE profile. Still unsure... Please help.

 Analyzes business requirements/processes and system integration considerations to determine appropriate technology solutions for internal and external customers. Designs, evaluates, codes, configures, tests and documents applications based on system and user requirements.
 Using current programming language and technologies writes code, completes programming and performs testing and debugging of applications. Completes documentation and procedures for installation and maintenance.
 Develops statements of problems and requirements, designs systems and programs, and writes programs in computer language for solution by means of data processing equipment. Prepares flowcharts and systems diagrams to assist in problem analysis. Responsible for preparing design documentation.
 Designs, codes, tests, debugs and documents software according to systems standards, policies and, procedures, security and compliance requirements.
 Prepares test data for unit, string and parallel testing.
 Analyzes business needs and creates defines software solutions including custom developed and off the shelf software.
 Evaluates and recommends software and hardware solutions to meet user needs. Resolves customer issues with software solutions and responds to suggestions for improvements and enhancements.
 Interacts with business users, I/T, vendors and customers to define current and future application requirements.
Your roles and duties are clearly 2174. The reason is, if you read the NOC 2173 for software engineering very carefully, you will see that 2173 never actually does coding, write code, or develop. In a nutshell Software Engineer does analysis, design, model, plan and coordinate the development. But never actually does the development. 2174 is the NOC for the coder. So if you write code you are a developer, ie. 2174.