none
Passport Req..
April 4>sent April13
VISA ISSUED...
May 4,2012
LANDED..........
target date:July 2012
Cappuccino said:
Hmm sorry I made a post asking for information on this thread but either it got deleted or I am just going mad and did not hit the "send" key :)

Just to ask, has anyone tried to apply as a restaurant owner?

Someone on my blog has asked me about this. Her husband owns a restaurant and he has no boss. As a self-employed restaurant owner, how does he provide work references and list of duties? They have his restaurant registration certificate, trade licence, food licence etc.

She wonders the best person to give the references. Ordinarily with self-employed applicants they provide contracts and references from customers, but this isn't really possible since his customers tend to be walk-in/walk-out!

She is considering asking any of the following for references:
a) His tax consultant who has been helping him with filing his taxes for the business since day one
b) His landlord on whose premises his restaurant is located
c) His creative agency who does the branding and designs the menu etc

All of the above people are also his regular customers.

I also suggested to her maybe getting a reference from an employee who can testify to her husband's duties.

Can anyone who has applied as a self-employed restaurant manager or owner make any suggestions?

Thanks,
Wayne.

Hi wayne, i just saw this topic and might be of help. I had an experience as a restaurant owner before and CIC asked me to make a notarized affidavit of my job experiences including business. They said that being an owner/manager for at least 1 year counts. Below is the sample draft:

AFFIDAVIT

I, NAME, single of legal age and with postal address at ADDRESS after having been duly sworn to an oath in accordance with law, do hereby depose and say:

That I am the Owner/Proprietor of (BUS.NAME) with business address at (LOCATION) since/from (DATE OF OPERATION)

6. That the said establishment is a personally-owned business so there is no need to issue a certificate of employment, certified job description and employment contract.

7. That what I can provide are the documents that proves that the business is personally owned which are appended as follows:
APPENDIX A: Certificate of Registration
APPENDIX B: Mayor’s Permit
APPENDIX C: Sanitary Permit 2001
APPENDIX D: Annual Income Tax Return
APPENDIX E: DTI CERTIFICATION

8. That my duties in the said company consisted of the following, to wit:

Company Name :
Company Address :

Company Profile :

A snack bar & restaurant specializes in Mexican/Spanish menu. A place for gatherings, meetings and walk-in diners. Offers outside catering for small corporate functions and events.

Position / Job Title : Owner, Restaurant Manager
Inclusive Dates :
Type of Employment
Contract : Regular
Status of Employment : Full-time
No. of Staffs Supervised and
their positions :
Annual Salary and Benefits : /annum

Job Summary:

Plan and manage the operation of the restaurant. Search for the right location to put up the business to promote and sell the product. Choose the theme, the color and design of the store, the menu to offer and cost it for the reasonable selling price.

Duties and Responsibilities:

• Plan and manage the operation of the restaurant and ensure that standard procedure are met;
• Execute market research and implement marketing strategy to attract customers without losing the quality, standard and safety of the business;
• Decide on its location, target market, and products to offer;
• Introduce marketing strategies, promos, and discounts;
• Study the affordability of the selling price. Interview customers, and base on other stores with the same idea, for pricing;

• Research for wholesalers on newspaper ads and internet for lower cost. Determine cost based on transportation fare and wholesale price, longevity of expiration;
• Plan budget for capitalization and emergencies and executes daily sales inventory includes percentage for miscellaneous fees budget;
• Manage hiring, interview and evaluation of applicants needed for the restaurant such as in- house service staff and regular on-call waiters for catering services and for additional manpower needed. Conducts orientation, briefing, and delegation of work for the newly hired staff;
• Hire qualified staff with background in food studies and conduct orientation and briefing for product knowledge, and expectations for the performance etc.;
• Supervise and train staff on proper food handling and services;
• Investigate and resolve customer complaints regarding food quality and service;
• Coordinate with the suppliers and make arrangements on special cases like large amount of food orders;
• Negotiate and accept reservation, arrangements and coordinate with the customer and assigned staff; Accept reservation for special occasions and make the menu line up to offer, and the pricing that will match customer’s preference with company’s profitability;
• Manage the purchasing of all supplies. Coordinate with the suppliers for the amount of items that should be delivered to control inventory and expenses and to preserve freshness of supplies. Do the buffer provisions, portioning, pricing, and presentation of menu;
• Improve and develop the restaurant procedures if necessary;
• Assign staffs to all areas by weekly schedule and evaluates staff performance to determine what the good area is and what area should be supervised to improve.
• Recommend staff for better opportunities to bigger companies;
• Determine the number of staff needed to operate a business, number of hours and number of days needed in work, type of work will be performed at a given time;
• Implement off-setting of working time, and under time for emergencies;
• Arrange menu line up and introduces exclusive personal recipes;
• Check food preparation, taste, and presentation;
• Check all bills and other charges;
• Responsible for daily and monthly sales inventory and reports for accounting purposes;
• Implement rules and regulation, and make the requirements to be followed by all concerned. Conduct meeting with the staff for booked functions for requirement details, coordination and briefing for proper services to meet client’s demand;
• Monitor food service staff performance to ensure productivity. Make sure that all staff are given the right work to do and that they follow the rules implemented without wasting time;
• Evaluate food service staff performance for regularization, give promotion for satisfactory performance and remove unreliable ones to ensure productivity performance;
• Impose disciplinary actions for improper behavior;
• Prepare the schedule for day-off, break time and overtime to avoid conflict in providing service during lean and peak time. For catering services, the schedule for hauling (transporting of equipments to the venue as set up for preparation), set up (complete required arrangement), break time shifts to maintain productivity. Do the staff zoning, in a way that they will work on the respected zone for set up and proper services;
• Ensure proper handling, and conduct daily meetings for briefing and coordination to avoid waste and spoilage. Make sure that sanitation and safety is observed when it comes to food preparation, that all raw ingredients are in good condition and all spoiled ones are being thrown out. Coordinate with the kitchen staff to meet quality control standards for safety purposes;
• Identify the types of services to give to clients by setting the requirements for the number of staff and the right staff who will handle certain types of guests such as VIP’s of the event, and the types of services to be given in accordance to clients’ requests. Set the policy with regards to call time, preparation and set up to meet the time schedule of
services;
• Monitor revenue of the restaurant to ensure that proper charges are done for food and services rendered and the right amount of sales are properly recorded;
• Perform other duties that may be assigned from time to time such as additional food service to customers when needed for immediate response to client’s demand during peak hours.

bhallasorav

Sep 27, 2011
india
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/04/2014
Doc's Request.
FILE number 29/07/2014
Nomination.....
Still waiting
AOR Received.
7/05/2014
hey roomies.....i m also a 0631 applicant.. my application was delivered in first week of october..i hope i ll be able to make it within the cap..

thanks
sorav

spicysank

Apr 2, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Other
bhallasorav said:
hey roomies.....i m also a 0631 applicant.. my application was delivered in first week of october..i hope i ll be able to make it within the cap..

thanks
sorav
Hi Sorav
You have made it within the cap....
Congrats...
Spicy

bhallasorav

Sep 27, 2011
india
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/04/2014
Doc's Request.
FILE number 29/07/2014
Nomination.....
Still waiting
AOR Received.
7/05/2014
thanks spicy...
hope we get to here some good news soon.. wish u all best of luck...cheers

bhallasorav

Sep 27, 2011
india
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/04/2014
Doc's Request.
FILE number 29/07/2014
Nomination.....
Still waiting
AOR Received.
7/05/2014
hey guys i m a big trouble....due to some issues i have to move to a new location in the same district... i mean to a new house.... how should i update the cic about this...and is it necessary to update them about the new address...please advise seniors and experts

thanks
sorav

Your Highness

Champion Member
Sep 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15th Sep 2011
AOR Received.
PER rcvd on 14th Dec 2011
IELTS Request
Submitted with Docs
File Transfer...
AOR from NDVO rcvd on 21 Jan 2012
Med's Request
7th Feb 2012
Med's Done....
Med sent on 24th Feb 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Req rcvd on 7th Feb sent on 24th Feb 2012. RPRF DD encashed on 11th April
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 10th May. PPs rcvd with Visa on 14th May 2012
LANDED..........
Landed in Toronto on 3rd July 2012!
Hello Betsy,

As per the new Doc Checklist self declared affidavits are not valid for self employed people. They have to get 3rd party reference. Pls go thru the below statement that I have copied and pasted from the checklist.

Note: Self-employed individuals must provide documentation from 3rd party individual(s) indicating the service provided along with payment details. Self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable evidence of work experience.

betsy said:
Cappuccino said:
Hmm sorry I made a post asking for information on this thread but either it got deleted or I am just going mad and did not hit the "send" key :)

Just to ask, has anyone tried to apply as a restaurant owner?

Someone on my blog has asked me about this. Her husband owns a restaurant and he has no boss. As a self-employed restaurant owner, how does he provide work references and list of duties? They have his restaurant registration certificate, trade licence, food licence etc.

She wonders the best person to give the references. Ordinarily with self-employed applicants they provide contracts and references from customers, but this isn't really possible since his customers tend to be walk-in/walk-out!

She is considering asking any of the following for references:
a) His tax consultant who has been helping him with filing his taxes for the business since day one
b) His landlord on whose premises his restaurant is located
c) His creative agency who does the branding and designs the menu etc

All of the above people are also his regular customers.

I also suggested to her maybe getting a reference from an employee who can testify to her husband's duties.

Can anyone who has applied as a self-employed restaurant manager or owner make any suggestions?

Thanks,
Wayne.

Hi wayne, i just saw this topic and might be of help. I had an experience as a restaurant owner before and CIC asked me to make a notarized affidavit of my job experiences including business. They said that being an owner/manager for at least 1 year counts. Below is the sample draft:

AFFIDAVIT

I, NAME, single of legal age and with postal address at ADDRESS after having been duly sworn to an oath in accordance with law, do hereby depose and say:

That I am the Owner/Proprietor of (BUS.NAME) with business address at (LOCATION) since/from (DATE OF OPERATION)

6. That the said establishment is a personally-owned business so there is no need to issue a certificate of employment, certified job description and employment contract.

7. That what I can provide are the documents that proves that the business is personally owned which are appended as follows:
APPENDIX A: Certificate of Registration
APPENDIX B: Mayor's Permit
APPENDIX C: Sanitary Permit 2001
APPENDIX D: Annual Income Tax Return
APPENDIX E: DTI CERTIFICATION

8. That my duties in the said company consisted of the following, to wit:

Company Name :
Company Address :

Company Profile :

A snack bar & restaurant specializes in Mexican/Spanish menu. A place for gatherings, meetings and walk-in diners. Offers outside catering for small corporate functions and events.

Position / Job Title : Owner, Restaurant Manager
Inclusive Dates :
Type of Employment
Contract : Regular
Status of Employment : Full-time
No. of Staffs Supervised and
their positions :
Annual Salary and Benefits : /annum

Job Summary:

Plan and manage the operation of the restaurant. Search for the right location to put up the business to promote and sell the product. Choose the theme, the color and design of the store, the menu to offer and cost it for the reasonable selling price.

Duties and Responsibilities:

• Plan and manage the operation of the restaurant and ensure that standard procedure are met;
• Execute market research and implement marketing strategy to attract customers without losing the quality, standard and safety of the business;
• Decide on its location, target market, and products to offer;
• Introduce marketing strategies, promos, and discounts;
• Study the affordability of the selling price. Interview customers, and base on other stores with the same idea, for pricing;

• Research for wholesalers on newspaper ads and internet for lower cost. Determine cost based on transportation fare and wholesale price, longevity of expiration;
• Plan budget for capitalization and emergencies and executes daily sales inventory includes percentage for miscellaneous fees budget;
• Manage hiring, interview and evaluation of applicants needed for the restaurant such as in- house service staff and regular on-call waiters for catering services and for additional manpower needed. Conducts orientation, briefing, and delegation of work for the newly hired staff;
• Hire qualified staff with background in food studies and conduct orientation and briefing for product knowledge, and expectations for the performance etc.;
• Supervise and train staff on proper food handling and services;
• Investigate and resolve customer complaints regarding food quality and service;
• Coordinate with the suppliers and make arrangements on special cases like large amount of food orders;
• Negotiate and accept reservation, arrangements and coordinate with the customer and assigned staff; Accept reservation for special occasions and make the menu line up to offer, and the pricing that will match customer's preference with company's profitability;
• Manage the purchasing of all supplies. Coordinate with the suppliers for the amount of items that should be delivered to control inventory and expenses and to preserve freshness of supplies. Do the buffer provisions, portioning, pricing, and presentation of menu;
• Improve and develop the restaurant procedures if necessary;
• Assign staffs to all areas by weekly schedule and evaluates staff performance to determine what the good area is and what area should be supervised to improve.
• Recommend staff for better opportunities to bigger companies;
• Determine the number of staff needed to operate a business, number of hours and number of days needed in work, type of work will be performed at a given time;
• Implement off-setting of working time, and under time for emergencies;
• Arrange menu line up and introduces exclusive personal recipes;
• Check food preparation, taste, and presentation;
• Check all bills and other charges;
• Responsible for daily and monthly sales inventory and reports for accounting purposes;
• Implement rules and regulation, and make the requirements to be followed by all concerned. Conduct meeting with the staff for booked functions for requirement details, coordination and briefing for proper services to meet client's demand;
• Monitor food service staff performance to ensure productivity. Make sure that all staff are given the right work to do and that they follow the rules implemented without wasting time;
• Evaluate food service staff performance for regularization, give promotion for satisfactory performance and remove unreliable ones to ensure productivity performance;
• Impose disciplinary actions for improper behavior;
• Prepare the schedule for day-off, break time and overtime to avoid conflict in providing service during lean and peak time. For catering services, the schedule for hauling (transporting of equipments to the venue as set up for preparation), set up (complete required arrangement), break time shifts to maintain productivity. Do the staff zoning, in a way that they will work on the respected zone for set up and proper services;
• Ensure proper handling, and conduct daily meetings for briefing and coordination to avoid waste and spoilage. Make sure that sanitation and safety is observed when it comes to food preparation, that all raw ingredients are in good condition and all spoiled ones are being thrown out. Coordinate with the kitchen staff to meet quality control standards for safety purposes;
• Identify the types of services to give to clients by setting the requirements for the number of staff and the right staff who will handle certain types of guests such as VIP's of the event, and the types of services to be given in accordance to clients' requests. Set the policy with regards to call time, preparation and set up to meet the time schedule of
services;
• Monitor revenue of the restaurant to ensure that proper charges are done for food and services rendered and the right amount of sales are properly recorded;
• Perform other duties that may be assigned from time to time such as additional food service to customers when needed for immediate response to client's demand during peak hours.

Your Highness

Champion Member
Sep 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15th Sep 2011
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
Submitted with Docs
File Transfer...
Med's Request
7th Feb 2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
spicysank said:
Hi Sorav
You have made it within the cap....
Congrats...
Spicy
Hello Spicey,

It is evident from the application status of many members of this forum that there is a huge backlog. So the numbers for CAP that they have published in not necessarily as of the current date. As of now I think the back log is running at 50 to 60 days. Ya I know it's ridiculous, but thats how it is. So 260 applications of 0631 is not as of 12th Oct, but as of somewhere in the first week of August. Its really distrubing.

So even I am worried if I will fall into CAP or not :-(

Cheers

Your Highness

Champion Member
Sep 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15th Sep 2011
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
Submitted with Docs
File Transfer...
Med's Request
7th Feb 2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
bhallasorav said:
hey guys i m a big trouble....due to some issues i have to move to a new location in the same district... i mean to a new house.... how should i update the cic about this...and is it necessary to update them about the new address...please advise seniors and experts

thanks
sorav
Sorav there is no need to send any update to CIC right now. You may send it once you recieve your file number. Even if you send it now, there's no way they can update your file and they havent even created a file number for you.

By the way if you have not mentioned an email address on your application form, then your PER will be sent to the mailing address. So just be sure to keep tab on that address as well.

So chill and move....no worries buddy :)

Cheers

bhallasorav

Sep 27, 2011
india
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/04/2014
Doc's Request.
FILE number 29/07/2014
Nomination.....
Still waiting
AOR Received.
7/05/2014
hey your highness.... thanks much for the update .. yeah i did update my e-mail address there...so if by gods grace i get my file number. i will send them correspondence to update my new address....any update from september applicants..

thanks

spicysank

Apr 2, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Other
Guys Its Pleasant to see movement in March 631 applications

yawanika a 631 applicant on 18th march 2011 has gone IN PROCESS.... :D

Now i am waiting for the same but there are a few more applicants before me. Best of luck to them and others too.

Namely Rayon-Joy, Prince,etc

Spicy

spicysank

Apr 2, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Other
bhallasorav said:
hey your highness.... thanks much for the update .. yeah i did update my e-mail address there...so if by gods grace i get my file number. i will send them correspondence to update my new address....any update from september applicants..

thanks
Sorav You can go to the post office and ask them to redirect your correspondences to the old address if any to the new one. By this way you dont have to tell the CHC about any change and things can proceed as it was supposed to.

Spicy

vanilathil

Oct 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 Aug 2011
Doc's Request.
Attested copies sent along with application
AOR Received.
9 NOV 2011 II AOR -13 Dec
IELTS Request
submitted
File Transfer...
13 dec 2011
Med's Request
09 feb 2012
Med's Done....
18 feb2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09 feb 2012 -delivered on 9 Mar-DD encashed on 11 april
VISA ISSUED...
13 Jun 2012
LANDED..........
9 Jul 2012- Winnipeg Manitoba
NOC: 0631
Application Reached CIO on 16/08/11
Filed through agent ..

now working hard for getting pcc from Swiss and USA

prapplicant

Jan 25, 2010
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Sep-2011
vanilathil said:
NOC: 0631
Application Reached CIO on 16/08/11
Filed through agent ..

now working hard for getting pcc from Swiss and USA
how did you apply without PCC. Is that possible?