+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No update from IRCC on citizenship oath ceremony. Next steps?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My previous observations were about drawing conclusions from what we know, including forum anecdotal reports.

I was not addressing the specific matter of whether or not, but if yes, then who, among those engaged in "essential services" might be getting invites and processed in priority order.

So, in regards to these posts:

I am a nurse working frontline Covid19 since February until present, I got DM in early March and still no oath invitation as yet, so I dont buy the essential worker excuse, we are all waiting, I also have a few colleagues who are also waiting, that are essential workers.
If you were NOT already scheduled for the oath BEFORE Covid-19 cancellations, it appears UNLIKELY you will be scheduled for a Virtual Oath soon. It appears that almost all those so far scheduled for the virtual oath are actually citizenship "candidates," no longer "applicants," and more specifically already had been scheduled for a ceremony that got cancelled.

I am not sure if "Decision Made" is the event that means the applicant has become a "candidate." If so, that would highly suggest you were in the next batch who will be scheduled for ceremonies, virtual or otherwise. But the number in queue in front of this group is likely many times the number who have gotten the virtual oath during the last three months. Hopefully IRCC will accelerate the process and it will not take so long for the next thousand let alone several thousand (remember, in a typical year there may be as many as four thousand taking the oath each week, week after week . . . it is hard to grasp just how much of a backlog is building).

If "Decision Made" is NOT the event that means the applicant has become a "candidate" (and frankly my sense leans in this direction, recognizing this is one of those details I do not know), what groups of applicants, what criteria is employed, to schedule after existing candidates (those who were, already, previously scheduled to take the oath at a subsequently cancelled ceremony) have taken the oath, is difficult to forecast.

ESSENTIAL WORKERS:

Why would a grant of citizenship be a compelling need for someone who currently has status and is able to work in the health and safety industry?

It appears that many have misinterpreted or taken this term out-of-context. And, moreover, rather broadened the scope of what constitutes "essential."

"Essential" basically refers to something or someone without which, or without who, things will not work.

Example, one of the first examples of a virtual oath ceremony was for an individual with specialized expertise needed in a laboratory with very limited, security-controlled access, apparently a clearance for which citizenship is necessary, and thus an "essential" service requiring the status of CITIZEN.

In the general sense, the work of nurses and doctors and other front line health industry workers (even those changing linens and cleaning hospital bathrooms) is indeed essential, and very much appreciated. But a grant of Canadian citizenship is not a reward for service. However honourable. If the work can be engaged without a grant of citizenship, citizenship has, basically, NOTHING to do with it. Applicants are NOT likely to get expedited processing because, say, they have been dutifully serving in an important and honorable way.

Additionally, UNLESS you have made a documented application for urgent processing, it is very unlikely your citizenship oath timeline will be accelerated compared to others in the same local office.

But the reference to "expedited" service . . . sometimes, in some contexts, referred to as "urgent" processing, warrants some further attention:

It seems to be sort of randomly inviting the ceremony ready clients for video oaths. It doesn't look like first come, first served and/or essential workers.

Which is why, IRCC didn't explicitly define any criteria for virtual oath ceremonies, except an implicit or vague announcement "We’re now inviting some applicants to do a video oath ceremony....".
Reminder: even if we are not acquainted with the criteria employed, it is very unlikely it is "random."

The invitations do appear to be directed to a rather selective group, but all within the larger group of those who were previously scheduled for an oath ceremony that was cancelled (with perhaps some exceptions . . . which are probably special cases).

Whatever the criteria for selecting them is . . . and OK, maybe it's a lottery (random), but that seems highly unlikely.

IRCC outlines the priority order on its website,

We’re prioritizing applications from
  • Canadians trying to return to Canada
  • vulnerable people
  • people who perform or support essential services
REF: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html
The BIG reminder is that this information about prioritizing applications is about ANY and ALMOST ALL applications, not just grant citizenship applications. It is NOT specifically about who is currently being scheduled for virtual oath ceremonies. It is very likely MORE ABOUT applications for travel documents to facilitate travel to Canada and otherwise more about various immigration applications. It lists "citizenship" applications as well, but this also includes applications for citizenship certificates by persons who are already citizens (see other topics where there is no shortage of timeline complaints for these applicants).

This criteria is barely applicable in the grant citizenship context.
--Canadians trying to return to Canada may need a travel document or passport (depending on whether they are a PR or citizen). No grant of citizenship needed to do that.​
-- Vulnerable persons may need the protection of status in Canada or some other services provided by IRCC. Here too, a grant of citizenship is not needed for this.​
-- People who perform or support essential services is, probably, largely about processing status for them to engage in the work . . . which, except in very limited cases, does not necessitate a grant of citizenship . . . except in a case like what might have been the first virtual oath, someone with sophisticated medical science expertise who needed a citizenship level security clearance for the position he was highly sought to take​

Which is not to disregard the possibility of expedited processing in response to a duly made application for URGENT processing, including for citizenship applicants.

Until recently, IRCC appears to have all but shut down normal citizenship application processing. Its effort to resume operations appears, in initial phases, to focus on things like scheduling oath ceremonies for those who had already, previously, been scheduled for the oath. This makes sense. I have addressed this before: These are individuals who have been granted citizenship, who are no longer applicants but "candidates," so the government must make reasonable efforts to proceed with the formal consummation of that process. Many may not readily appreciate it, but most of the decision-makers in the government, including IRCC, have attained those positions because they take the mandate of law seriously and are conscientious in their efforts to execute the law. Contrary to some of the more unfounded rants in this forum.

BUT some endeavors are still time-consuming. Resuming any semblance of normal operations in the wake of the Covid-19 measures will, obviously, BE SLOW going. Signs of progress are good signs. But for those in the back seat chanting "are we there yet," the same old refrain is likely to be playing for a good while longer. "Not yet." (Should one say, "Not yet, kids?")

The gap between what is being delivered and forum expectations has almost always been rather wide. It tends to be especially wide during difficult transitions. I am not trying to argue that the way things work is above criticism. Not at all.

But the process is not capricious or arbitrary. The criteria is not random. It is going to go WAY SLOW still for a good while longer plus some. If history is any indicator, that offers little promise: it took CIC well into 2014 and even into 2015 to deal with the backlog of citizenship applications built up in 2011 and 2012. I hope they do far, far better with this.

Reactions: Mike263

Alberta30

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
My previous observations were about drawing conclusions from what we know, including forum anecdotal reports.

I was not addressing the specific matter of whether or not, but if yes, then who, among those engaged in "essential services" might be getting invites and processed in priority order.

So, in regards to these posts:

If you were NOT already scheduled for the oath BEFORE Covid-19 cancellations, it appears UNLIKELY you will be scheduled for a Virtual Oath soon. It appears that almost all those so far scheduled for the virtual oath are actually citizenship "candidates," no longer "applicants," and more specifically already had been scheduled for a ceremony that got cancelled.

I am not sure if "Decision Made" is the event that means the applicant has become a "candidate." If so, that would highly suggest you were in the next batch who will be scheduled for ceremonies, virtual or otherwise. But the number in queue in front of this group is likely many times the number who have gotten the virtual oath during the last three months. Hopefully IRCC will accelerate the process and it will not take so long for the next thousand let alone several thousand (remember, in a typical year there may be as many as four thousand taking the oath each week, week after week . . . it is hard to grasp just how much of a backlog is building).

If "Decision Made" is NOT the event that means the applicant has become a "candidate" (and frankly my sense leans in this direction, recognizing this is one of those details I do not know), what groups of applicants, what criteria is employed, to schedule after existing candidates (those who were, already, previously scheduled to take the oath at a subsequently cancelled ceremony) have taken the oath, is difficult to forecast.

ESSENTIAL WORKERS:

Why would a grant of citizenship be a compelling need for someone who currently has status and is able to work in the health and safety industry?

It appears that many have misinterpreted or taken this term out-of-context. And, moreover, rather broadened the scope of what constitutes "essential."

"Essential" basically refers to something or someone without which, or without who, things will not work.

Example, one of the first examples of a virtual oath ceremony was for an individual with specialized expertise needed in a laboratory with very limited, security-controlled access, apparently a clearance for which citizenship is necessary, and thus an "essential" service requiring the status of CITIZEN.

In the general sense, the work of nurses and doctors and other front line health industry workers (even those changing linens and cleaning hospital bathrooms) is indeed essential, and very much appreciated. But a grant of Canadian citizenship is not a reward for service. However honourable. If the work can be engaged without a grant of citizenship, citizenship has, basically, NOTHING to do with it. Applicants are NOT likely to get expedited processing because, say, they have been dutifully serving in an important and honorable way.

Additionally, UNLESS you have made a documented application for urgent processing, it is very unlikely your citizenship oath timeline will be accelerated compared to others in the same local office.

But the reference to "expedited" service . . . sometimes, in some contexts, referred to as "urgent" processing, warrants some further attention:

Reminder: even if we are not acquainted with the criteria employed, it is very unlikely it is "random."

The invitations do appear to be directed to a rather selective group, but all within the larger group of those who were previously scheduled for an oath ceremony that was cancelled (with perhaps some exceptions . . . which are probably special cases).

Whatever the criteria for selecting them is . . . and OK, maybe it's a lottery (random), but that seems highly unlikely.

The BIG reminder is that this information about prioritizing applications is about ANY and ALMOST ALL applications, not just grant citizenship applications. It is NOT specifically about who is currently being scheduled for virtual oath ceremonies. It is very likely MORE ABOUT applications for travel documents to facilitate travel to Canada and otherwise more about various immigration applications. It lists "citizenship" applications as well, but this also includes applications for citizenship certificates by persons who are already citizens (see other topics where there is no shortage of timeline complaints for these applicants).

This criteria is barely applicable in the grant citizenship context.
--Canadians trying to return to Canada may need a travel document or passport (depending on whether they are a PR or citizen). No grant of citizenship needed to do that.​
-- Vulnerable persons may need the protection of status in Canada or some other services provided by IRCC. Here too, a grant of citizenship is not needed for this.​
-- People who perform or support essential services is, probably, largely about processing status for them to engage in the work . . . which, except in very limited cases, does not necessitate a grant of citizenship . . . except in a case like what might have been the first virtual oath, someone with sophisticated medical science expertise who needed a citizenship level security clearance for the position he was highly sought to take​

Which is not to disregard the possibility of expedited processing in response to a duly made application for URGENT processing, including for citizenship applicants.

Until recently, IRCC appears to have all but shut down normal citizenship application processing. Its effort to resume operations appears, in initial phases, to focus on things like scheduling oath ceremonies for those who had already, previously, been scheduled for the oath. This makes sense. I have addressed this before: These are individuals who have been granted citizenship, who are no longer applicants but "candidates," so the government must make reasonable efforts to proceed with the formal consummation of that process. Many may not readily appreciate it, but most of the decision-makers in the government, including IRCC, have attained those positions because they take the mandate of law seriously and are conscientious in their efforts to execute the law. Contrary to some of the more unfounded rants in this forum.

BUT some endeavors are still time-consuming. Resuming any semblance of normal operations in the wake of the Covid-19 measures will, obviously, BE SLOW going. Signs of progress are good signs. But for those in the back seat chanting "are we there yet," the same old refrain is likely to be playing for a good while longer. "Not yet." (Should one say, "Not yet, kids?")

The gap between what is being delivered and forum expectations has almost always been rather wide. It tends to be especially wide during difficult transitions. I am not trying to argue that the way things work is above criticism. Not at all.

But the process is not capricious or arbitrary. The criteria is not random. It is going to go WAY SLOW still for a good while longer plus some. If history is any indicator, that offers little promise: it took CIC well into 2014 and even into 2015 to deal with the backlog of citizenship applications built up in 2011 and 2012. I hope they do far, far better with this.
My family friend that applied in the same time frame as I did, was not scheduled for an oath ceremony before the lock down, as a matter of fact she didn't get decision made on her application until mid June, she has gotten invitation to a virtual oath ceremony for mid July. Also she is not essential services, or urgent processing. Therefore your statement about, if not scheduled for oath ceremony before lockdown, dont expect it anytime soon is not valid. Ircc is doing what they always do, I am not surprised, the only thing consistent about ircc is inconsistency, from all of my years of going through the Canadian immigration system that as been my experience. Therefore I will just wait, as is the norm.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My family friend that applied in the same time frame as I did, was not scheduled for an oath ceremony before the lock down, as a matter of fact she didn't get decision made on her application until mid June, she has gotten invitation to a virtual oath ceremony for mid July. Also she is not essential services, or urgent processing. Therefore your statement about, if not scheduled for oath ceremony before lockdown, dont expect it anytime soon is not valid. Ircc is doing what they always do, I am not surprised, the only thing consistent about ircc is inconsistency, from all of my years of going through the Canadian immigration system that as been my experience. Therefore I will just wait, as is the norm.
Apart from this actually being hearsay rather than a direct report . . .

"Unlikely" does NOT mean it will not happen. It means the odds are against it happening. If you think I am wrong about this, expect to get your virtual ceremony invitation soon as well. But, sorry, that is still unlikely. (Even if it happens; I hope it will.)

This goes back to the earlier post by @CitizenOrNot and the observation about not concluding what will happen based on isolated anecdotal reports . . . or more precisely here, a solitary hearsay report. All an anecdotal report illustrates is that it can happen, because it did happen, at least for one person. (And of course a better sense of probabilities can be discerned from multiple reports, to the extent they are reliable anyway, especially when evaluated in conjunction with other reliable sources, including IRCC published information.)

There is a lot we do not know about what goes on. There is a fair amount we do know. Perhaps some are being chosen to take the oath by lottery (at random) but that seems a highly remote possibly.

Ultimately you reach the same conclusion as I do. Not much to do but wait. And indeed that is the norm IN THE BEST of TIMES, let alone during a crisis, let alone when a backlog is building.

And make no mistake, there's a backlog now. Again, in normal times there are often as many as 4,000 oath ceremonies a week. Subtract 1,000 plus some dozens, the number who have taken the oath since mid-March, from the total number that did not take place in the last FIFTEEN weeks. If IRCC gears up to do a 1,000 more virtual ceremonies each week, that would take a YEAR just for the ones so far delayed let alone those, who like the "family friend," somehow are given the short route.

Now I do not think it will be that long. IRCC is obviously just getting started, as in getting back in gear and attacking the problem of managing governmental functions in a time of crisis. But as I tried to carefully explain, yeah, for most, for the large majority, if you were not already scheduled for a ceremony that was cancelled, odds are it is unlikely you will be scheduled for a virtual oath ceremony sometime soon.

If you want to urge other applicants that I am incorrect . . . that my saying it is unlikely they will be scheduled for the oath sometime soon if they were not already previously scheduled is wrong . . . that would be to suggest it is likely they will be soon scheduled for the oath. I know you know better than that. You, yourself, are prepared to wait because you know better than that.

The reality is not that complicated. Easily repeated: . . . the process is not capricious or arbitrary. The criteria is not random. It is going to go WAY SLOW still for a good while longer plus some. If history is any indicator . . . well, I hope they do far, far better this time around (they should, unlike the Harper Conservatives, this government does not have a petty anti-immigrant undercurrent).

So far they remain, it appears and as I previously said "FOCUSED" on scheduling those whose previously scheduled oath ceremony was cancelled . . . this number probably runs into several THOUSANDS at minimum. Beyond that we do not know what criteria they are employing or how . . . for example, it is quite possible they are screening OUT some applicants . . . going through those previously scheduled and those for whom there is a "Decision Made," and considering them for a virtual oath but also using certain criteria to pass over some. Or maybe someone just misses a telephone call and the processing agent moves on to the next candidate.

But the numbers are going to be SLOW for a good while longer. However many get their chance sooner than others, for MOST it is still going to take a good while longer. However IRCC is going about this, it's not hocus pocus.

awesomejoe123

Jul 6, 2020
Hi ,

I had my virtual oath ceremony scheduled today 10:45 AM. My oath ceremony was initially scheduled on Mar 20th at Mississauga but due to COVID-19 the ceremony got cancelled. The ceremony took about 15 mins to complete.

samcn

Jul 6, 2020
Hi ,

I had my virtual oath ceremony scheduled today 10:45 AM. My oath ceremony was initially scheduled on Mar 20th at Mississauga but due to COVID-19 the ceremony got cancelled. The ceremony took about 15 mins to complete.
Congrats ! did they call or email you for the virtual oat arrangement ? if call which number(s) they call from ? I am worried I missed a call from them from my virtual ceremony.

Reactions: CitizenOrNot

awesomejoe123

Jul 6, 2020
Great news. Can you please let me know if you received an email or call for invitation? Also did you send an email for urgent processing? Thanks in advance.
I did get a call from CIC prior to the email invite. I did n't email them for urgent processing

awesomejoe123

Jul 6, 2020
Congrats ! did they call or email you for the virtual oat arrangement ? if call which number(s) they call from ? I am worried I missed a call from them from my virtual ceremony.
I got a call from CIC Mississauga prior to the email invite. The call showed an unknown number

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Yet another applicant who applied after me and received their citizenship before me! LOL

I am happy for you, but yes this process does seem quite random. No amount of 50+ paragraph posts from 'dpenabill' will change this reality. This is a RANDOM process, they aren't doing first come, first serve on getting citizenship oaths completed. Its just not supported by any evidence.

BTW, I am certainly a citizenship "candidate" as I received my privacy act request and it clearly shows I've been granted citizenship, pending oath. So I'm one of these COVID trapped "citizen but not citizen" cases.

Who knows how many of us there are. Thank you COVID for all the misery and strife you've caused.
@CitizenOrNot ".....it clearly shows I've been granted citizenship, pending oath." Do your ATIP or GCMS notes mention that you have been granted citizenship? How could it be granted without an Oath?

Can you plz share some text of ATIP?