+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No update from IRCC on citizenship oath ceremony. Next steps?

mary_27

Sep 20, 2015
I checked with call center...this virtual oath is pilot program...only few selected cases will get oath invites....not for everyone...
Thanks for sharing this info. I wonder what the basis of the selection process is for the few applicants who have been invited.
I know some invitees had said that they had not requested for an urgent processing and weren't frontline workers either.

a-memon

May 25, 2015
@amemom could you please let me know if you received the emal or please let me know how you contacted them. pls advice brother
The process was super easy. I called them to inform i haven't received the email. They emailed me the details. The virtual oath took less than 30 minutes. You just have to sign the oath form in front of them, cut the PR card with scissors and take the oath. Nothing complicated. They also asked for the landing document which i did not have. So they asked to get it from IRCC and send it when i receive it.

Reactions: Stephany.1

Mush1981

Nov 28, 2018
The process was super easy. I called them to inform i haven't received the email. They emailed me the details. The virtual oath took less than 30 minutes. You just have to sign the oath form in front of them, cut the PR card with scissors and take the oath. Nothing complicated. They also asked for the landing document which i did not have. So they asked to get it from IRCC and send it when i receive it.
which number did you call pls??...i mean to inform that you did not get e mail....did you call the customer care of the number from which you received the call

Reactions: CitizenSoon

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
With no intent to detract from ongoing monitoring of efforts to complete processing, particularly for those applicants who were previously scheduled for the oath only to have the ceremony cancelled in response to Covid-19 (which appears, for the time being, to be the only group actually being scheduled for and taking the oath virtually), some irony is too precious to overlook.

The Global News article, by Stephanie Levitz, quotes a government communication:
"IRCC needs to act quickly to develop (i) updated and new strategies, and (ii) processes and digital systems to cope with the rapid change it is undergoing."​
When a bureaucracy the size of IRCC says it needs "to act quickly" that reminds me of a tortoise at the edge of a highway considering its action plan for getting to the other side. Or, as I am wont to say "bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does."

To be clear, however, much like a tortoise going from one place to another, even a big and cumbersome bureaucracy like IRCC will get where it is going. Perhaps not so quickly as those waiting prefer. But it will get there. That is, sooner or later, with the odds leaning later for the time being, IRCC will be granting citizenship to qualified applicants. Those who have already had a scheduled oath ceremony cancelled first. Others to follow.

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
With no intent to detract from ongoing monitoring of efforts to complete processing, particularly for those applicants who were previously scheduled for the oath only to have the ceremony cancelled in response to Covid-19 (which appears, for the time being, to be the only group actually being scheduled for and taking the oath virtually), some irony is too precious to overlook.

The Global News article, by Stephanie Levitz, quotes a government communication:
"IRCC needs to act quickly to develop (i) updated and new strategies, and (ii) processes and digital systems to cope with the rapid change it is undergoing."​
When a bureaucracy the size of IRCC says it needs "to act quickly" that reminds me of a tortoise at the edge of a highway considering its action plan for getting to the other side. Or, as I am wont to say "bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does."

To be clear, however, much like a tortoise going from one place to another, even a big and cumbersome bureaucracy like IRCC will get where it is going. Perhaps not so quickly as those waiting prefer. But it will get there. That is, sooner or later, with the odds leaning later for the time being, IRCC will be granting citizenship to qualified applicants. Those who have already had a scheduled oath ceremony cancelled first. Others to follow.
I'm assuming based on all the info so far;

Firstly, those applicants are being invited for taking video oaths ceremonies who already had their scheduled in-person ceremonies cancelled due to covid-19.

Secondly, those applicants shall be invited for taking video oaths ceremonies who already have passed the test/interview and have eCAS status "Decision Made", but did not yet receive any oath ceremony notice (email/letter).

Thirdly, .............. and so on and so forth.

Exception: Applicants having a reasonable and justifiable, valid and legitimate urgent ("pressing") need for citizenship are always a top priority. Those applicants may bypass one or more stages of citizenship process depending upon the criticality of their urgent need.

Last edited:

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
According to IRCC Service Standards for Citizenship Applications:

* Right of Citizenship is part of the citizenship grant process
* Our service standard: issue the Right of Citizenship within 4 months (between the date we grant citizenship and the date we first send the invitation to the citizenship ceremony)

From the above text what I understand is: those who had received official invitations (email/letter) for in-person citizenship ceremonies to be held in mid/end of March 2020, should "potentially" expect a re-invite and soon after actual video oath ceremony in June-July 2020.

Ref.: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/service-declaration/service-standards.html#citizenship

Last edited:

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
According to IRCC Service Standards for Citizenship Applications:

* Right of Citizenship is part of the citizenship grant process
* Our service standard: issue the Right of Citizenship within 4 months (between the date we grant citizenship and the date we first send the invitation to the citizenship ceremony)

From the above text what I understand is: those who had received official invitations (email/letter) for in-person citizenship ceremonies to be held in mid/end of March 2020, should "potentially" expect a re-invite for video oath ceremony in June-July 2020.

Ref.: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/service-declaration/service-standards.html#citizenship
These are service standards for processing and IRCC has already said COVID-19 has affected processing times to the point where they can no longer guarantee or predict the timeframe.
As much as we would all love to be re-invited to oaths within 4 months, it's difficult to predict what a typically unpredictable organization will do.

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As you all have read the news that CIC is revamping their processes to adapt to "new normal" settings which may include online apps and virtual ceremonies etc. However they are still accepting new paper based apps. Question is how CIC will operate both systems, paper based and paperless, and how would they ensure that people who applied paper based applications are processed ahead of apps through new system, I sincerely hope the still use first in first out model and should avoid having backlogs of paper apps. Any thoughts?

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
As you all have read the news that CIC is revamping their processes to adapt to "new normal" settings which may include online apps and virtual ceremonies etc. However they are still accepting new paper based apps. Question is how CIC will operate both systems, paper based and paperless, and how would they ensure that people who applied paper based applications are processed ahead of apps through new system, I sincerely hope the still use first in first out model and should avoid having backlogs of paper apps. Any thoughts?
I would expect any "new system change" from any Canadian government agency would take at least 1 year to adopt.

Reactions: free_palestinian