+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No update from IRCC on citizenship oath ceremony. Next steps?

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Hopefully I get mine oath soon!!

Btw what about citizenship test...will they go online as well?
@lulykibuly I don't think, IRCC will go for online citizenship tests due to the potential Risk of Cheating, and also the exam questions could be copied thru screenshot etc. They can either arrange in-person tests with strict physical distancing measures (in near future) or can take test verbally asking questions via Zoom.

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Hi Guys,

As you know IRCC today (June 05, 2020) updated its website and now has officially announced for video oath ceremony (virtual citizenship ceremony).

IRCC web-page says "We’re now inviting some applicants to do a video oath ceremony (citizenship ceremony). Please wait for us to contact you."

Assuming, those (some) applicants are being invited who already had their in-person oath ceremonies scheduled (confirmed date, time, place) and then subsequently cancelled due to covid-19. Now, they are being re-invited for video oath ceremony.

After this backlog is gone, IRCC would probably start inviting those applicants in queue who already passed the tests and interview, and are waiting to be invited for oath ceremonies.

Guys, what is your take on it??

Last edited:
Reactions: mrcmrc and vicky02

Sam8119

Aug 26, 2016
Guys, Just a quick update. Had my virtual citizenship today through zoom. Super easy, only half an hour duration. They will make sure the address, will check the PR card and another photo ID. They will describe the process (total of 4 officials including clerk, judge, and 2 more persons including a person who knows how to operate the zoom. You can take photos and videos. You have to recite the oath and in the end, just sign the oath form and scan it back to them. You also have to cut the PR card into pieces in front of the camera. The certificate will be mailed in 2 weeks. My journey to citizenship ends here. Good luck to everybody who is in line. Seems like this provision at this point is only available to people who have already passed the test.

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Guys, Just a quick update. Had my virtual citizenship today through zoom. Super easy, only half an hour duration. They will make sure the address, will check the PR card and another photo ID. They will describe the process (total of 4 officials including clerk, judge, and 2 more persons including a person who knows how to operate the zoom. You can take photos and videos. You have to recite the oath and in the end, just sign the oath form and scan it back to them. You also have to cut the PR card into pieces in front of the camera. The certificate will be mailed in 2 weeks. My journey to citizenship ends here. Good luck to everybody who is in line. Seems like this provision at this point is only available to people who have already passed the test.
@Sam8119
Did they email you the oath form prior to ceremony?
Did you sign, scan and submit it back at the same time during video ceremony?

mrcmrc

Jun 1, 2020
How and when did you receive the oath form? Assuming that some people may not have a printer in their home, this issue might be critical. Please share your experience, so that others can plan accordingly. Thanks in advance.

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
They check and confirm that you are in Canada, they will not do oath for somebody outside Canada!
So many questions to ask from some of us outside Canada training temporarily. If we are fortunate to get an email for the invite instead of a call, do you think it's possible to fly in for the oath and fly out after, and ask the certificate be sent to an address abroad?

F_M

Jun 6, 2020
Hello
I wonder if the backlog is affecting the security check. I passed my test and interview Nov 29,2019 and when I last contacted IRCC via email on April, 1 the security check was still not done. Any one in the same boat?

Sam8119

Aug 26, 2016
So many questions to ask from some of us outside Canada training temporarily. If we are fortunate to get an email for the invite instead of a call, do you think it's possible to fly in for the oath and fly out after, and ask the certificate be sent to an address abroad?
Hi,
I am not sure about that. I think in the first place they are sending invites to people who are in Canada, but you may ask IRCC helpline about that. I never got a call BTW, I only got eCas update and an email.

Reactions: tosinosho1992

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
You must have a valid Canadian residential address (not a PO Box). If you have to fly outside Canada for some time-period, you need to inform IRCC via web contact form.

I'm assuming, depending on your travel details and expected date of return to Canada, IRCC would probably place you in a certain queue to be invited for test or oath ceremony etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: vicky02