+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No update from IRCC on citizenship oath ceremony. Next steps?

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
Hi Guys,

You know, due to Covid-19 pandemic, Canadian government is currently providing some benefits $$ (CERB etc) to eligible Citizens and Permanent Residents. If IRCC starts granting Citizenship's and specifically PR's to awaiting applicants and families inside/outside Canada, it would automatically overload the financial burden as well as medical health care system; which the Canadian government does not want at this moment of time amidst Covid-19 challenges. That is why, I think, the IRCC would somehow manage to delay the events until we go back to normal.

What you guys think?
No, anyone that was impacted by covid19 can get CERB as long as he/she has social insurance number. such as work permit holder.

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Hi,
You can choose to believe what you want. There’s no reason for people to make up stories about virtual oaths. IRCC may just be doing a few experimental oaths to work out kinks in the system before a grander roll-out. If they’d publish a change on the website right away, they would probably be inundated with calls and webforms asking for new dates. Which is why their repeated response always has been, “we will send you a new date and time as soon as possible.”
All we can do is wait, which we were doing anyway pre-pandemic.
@sydcarton Yes, IRCC is unpredictable as well. We can expect some unusual things happening in the background.

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Might want to do more research. As I stated above, I've seen an actual letter for a virtual oath. We all agree IRCC has not published or updated anything, but virtual oaths are definitely happening this week.
@simpsol22 Can you plz share contents or description of letter? Also, is that virtual oath meant to be special under urgent processing?

Marooned2

Star Member
May 18, 2017
So other than those 2 well known cases how many ppl have got the virtual oath invitation? Is it just a rumor or its happening?

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
So other than those 2 well known cases how many ppl have got the virtual oath invitation? Is it just a rumor or its happening?
@Marooned2 Other than those 2 reported cases of virtual oath in the previous threads, I did not yet come across any confirmed or authentic case of virtual Canadian oath ceremony on the internet (except Dr Ng).

SAS_RAZA

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2014
AOR Received.
PER: 04-11-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
25-06-2015
Med's Done....
07-07-2015
Interview........
23-06-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 14-08-2015, PPR:18-08-2015
LANDED..........
24-06-2016
This news article was published on May 20th, posting this for folks who are of the view that IRCC has made nothing official about virtual oath taking ceremonies. I'm sure most of you have already read this article, I'm just highlighting the relevant part for your attention:

"While the exceptional measure won’t be offered to applicants like Gill straight away, IRCC will offer it to a wider pool of applicants “as soon as possible,” Ker adds."

In case you're wondering, Shannon Ker is spokesperson of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), who provided this information to HuffPost in an email according to the above quoted article.

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
This news article was published on May 20th, posting this for folks who are of the view that IRCC has made nothing official about virtual oath taking ceremonies. I'm sure most of you have already read this article, I'm just highlighting the relevant part for your attention:

"While the exceptional measure won’t be offered to applicants like Gill straight away, IRCC will offer it to a wider pool of applicants “as soon as possible,” Ker adds."

In case you're wondering, Shannon Ker is spokesperson of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), who provided this information to HuffPost in an email according to the above quoted article.
Adding the exact reference for detailed information....:)
https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/virtual-citizenship-oath-canada_ca_5ec5693ac5b6ea08c805ea00

SAS_RAZA

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2014
AOR Received.
PER: 04-11-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
25-06-2015
Med's Done....
07-07-2015
Interview........
23-06-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 14-08-2015, PPR:18-08-2015
LANDED..........
24-06-2016
  • Wow
Reactions: Mike263

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Hi Guys,

You know, due to Covid-19 pandemic, Canadian government is currently providing some benefits $$ (CERB etc) to eligible Citizens and Permanent Residents. If IRCC starts granting Citizenship's and specifically PR's to awaiting applicants and families inside/outside Canada, it would automatically overload the financial burden as well as medical health care system; which the Canadian government does not want at this moment of time amidst Covid-19 challenges. That is why, I think, the IRCC would somehow manage to delay the events until we go back to normal.

What you guys think?
Aside from obvious resourcing/priority issues, the only other argument I can think of for delaying citizenship ceremonies right now is the Canadian govt being responsible for repatriating more Canadians abroad, if people decide to fly to their respective home/birth countries after acquiring citizenship. Assuming those borders are still open, of course. That puts undue pressure on already stressed consulates abroad.

Reactions: Mike263

redalot

Star Member
Jun 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What about us waiting for exam? there should be an alternate for exams at least if ceremonies are hard to change by law?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Who said that the ceremonies are hard to change by law? Which law is that?
1. Citizenship Act, Section 25 requires an Oath.
2. Citizenship Regulations reads as follows

19 (1) Subject to subsection 5(3) of the Act and section
22 of these Regulations, a person who has been granted
citizenship under subsection 5(1) of the Act shall take the
oath of citizenship by swearing or solemnly affirming it
before a citizenship judge.

(2) Unless the Minister otherwise directs, the oath of citizenship
shall be taken at a citizenship ceremony.

(3) If a person is to take the oath of citizenship at a citizenship
ceremony, a certificate of citizenship shall be forwarded
by the Registrar to a citizenship officer of the appropriate
citizenship office, who shall notify the person
of the date, time and place at which the person is to appear
before the citizenship judge to take the oath of citizenship
and receive the person’s certificate of citizenship.

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
virtual test is a little harder since people can cheat online
Most qualification/exams are being done from home.. During the exam the use screensharing option, mic and cam to oversea exams.

mary_27

Sep 20, 2015
Hi

1. Citizenship Act, Section 25 requires an Oath.
2. Citizenship Regulations reads as follows

19 (1) Subject to subsection 5(3) of the Act and section
22 of these Regulations, a person who has been granted
citizenship under subsection 5(1) of the Act shall take the
oath of citizenship by swearing or solemnly affirming it
before a citizenship judge.

(2) Unless the Minister otherwise directs, the oath of citizenship
shall be taken at a citizenship ceremony.

(3) If a person is to take the oath of citizenship at a citizenship
ceremony, a certificate of citizenship shall be forwarded
by the Registrar to a citizenship officer of the appropriate
citizenship office, who shall notify the person
of the date, time and place at which the person is to appear
before the citizenship judge to take the oath of citizenship
and receive the person’s certificate of citizenship.
Thank you for sharing this.
To be honest, in my opinion, having a virtual ceremony in which citizenship officers AND a judge are present, does not disobey any of the points mentioned. A ceremony can have different definitions depending on the context.

Reactions: SAS_RAZA