+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

no surname but express entry online profile wrote it to be mandatory field

Harry24

Jan 8, 2018
Hello All,

While creating express entry Profile we ( myself and my wife) mentioned Surname as NA and entered the name as on Passport in Given Name as we dont have Surname.

we have received ITA now and also have done medical. The Emedical also has my Surname as NA however, for my wife the doctor mentioned her Given Name in Surname and NA in her Given name.

Would it be an issue? How to get it fixed if it an issue?

Thanks
Hi did you get any help .please let me know!
Thanks

Sonucheena

Jun 7, 2018
I am on verge of filling a WES profile but got stuck due to Single name on academics although , Passport has the complete name and surname e.g
Name of all Academics -Manu( Single name ) ,While name on passport is Manu Bakshi .....please guide how should I fill the WES profile with single name as MANU...as first name and surname is mandatory for WES profile .

13500_9450

Jun 19, 2018
this was the reply that i got from cic

Q
Question
Question@cic.gc.ca
Hide details

To:xxx
Date:
January 23, 2015, 6:42 PM
Dear Client,

Please put all of your names in the last/surname field. If an error continues, put an “x” in the first name field.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada I Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada
www.cic.gc.ca

-----Original Message-----
Hi Guys.. Is this comment still valid.
Nowadays, the CIC website does not accept blank fields for first names.

sadiyarehman

Jun 19, 2018
Hi Guys.. Is this comment still valid.
Nowadays, the CIC website does not accept blank fields for first names.

Hi,
Just wanted to know that, did you write an email to Question@cic.gc.ca? I mean is this the official contact email ID? I am asking because, I would want to write to them personally regarding this, as i am having the same issue as others and the replies on the thread a re varied. Would definitely post my reply here when I receive it.

Also, how long do they take to respond?

13500_9450

Jun 19, 2018
Hi,
Just wanted to know that, did you write an email to Question@cic.gc.ca? I mean is this the official contact email ID? I am asking because, I would want to write to them personally regarding this, as i am having the same issue as others and the replies on the thread a re varied. Would definitely post my reply here when I receive it.

Also, how long do they take to respond?
I wrote an email to them a couple of days back.. No response yet..

sadiyarehman

Jun 19, 2018
I wrote an email to them a couple of days back.. No response yet..
I have also written an email to them. Lets see how long they take to respond.

I have already created my account using my entire given name in the last name field and leaving the given name field blank (as per the FAQs on CIC website).
Confusion started on the family history page where both first name and last name are required fields. If I add my entire name in both the fields then my name appears twice - Sadiya Rehman Sadiya Rehman. Funny!

If you notice, in the account creation page, Given name is not mandatory while in Family History page of Express Entry Profile, it is a required field.

13500_9450

Jun 19, 2018
I have also written an email to them. Lets see how long they take to respond.

I have already created my account using my entire given name in the last name field and leaving the given name field blank (as per the FAQs on CIC website).
Confusion started on the family history page where both first name and last name are required fields. If I add my entire name in both the fields then my name appears twice - Sadiya Rehman Sadiya Rehman. Funny!

If you notice, in the account creation page, Given name is not mandatory while in Family History page of Express Entry Profile, it is a required field.
I am facing the issue for my mom and sister. I have put 'x' in the first name field and planned to explain it in an LOE.
It seems this issue is particularly common for women from India and Pakistan.

sadiyarehman

Jun 19, 2018
I am facing the issue for my mom and sister. I have put 'x' in the first name field and planned to explain it in an LOE.
It seems this issue is particularly common for women from India and Pakistan.
True, seems like a common issue in India and Pakistan for men and women both. I just want to submit my application before the next draw. Hope they respond fast!

Pgairola

Sep 13, 2018
Hi All,

I also don’t have Sir name in my passport. I am thinking of adding my husband’s sirname in my passport before applying for express entry but in all my certificates there is Km.( In English it means Ms.) mentioned before my name however the same in not there in passport. Please suggest if this is the right time to add surname coz I think i have to explain in LOE about Km. Or can I fill express entry form without Sirname? Will that be an issue if I don’t have last name in passport? Pls give your suggestions

hasan1501

Feb 14, 2019
Hello All,
Did anybody get any reply? Any help in this regards would be appreciated.
Found this snippet from CIC website

What do you mean by surname?
Your surname is your family name. It is also called your “last name.” When filling out applications, type your surname as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document.

Do not use initials.

If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank. Do not enter “Not applicable,” “*” or “NA.”