+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No question asked here...don't waste your time ;)

EaSt CoAsT GiRl

Star Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2010
AOR Received.
30-07-2010
File Transfer...
01-06-2010
Re: I've proved my point...

toby said:
A few months ago I recommended that people use more precise subject lines. I still think it is a good idea; it is considerate of those who don't have the time or interest to read every post, helping them decide from the subject line whether to open the post or not. Many times I have opened a post with a vague subject line only to find out that I had no experience in the matter and could not help, or to find that the real subject was not of interest to me. Finally I gave up and do not open them. I only opened this post to find out what the point was.

My second reason for recommending precise subject lines was born of my own reluctance to open these vague posts. I wondered whether other people might not read them either, whereas a truly descriptive subject line would attract the attention of readers with valuable experience and advice to offer.

So, the recommendation stands.

And what is the point you think you have made? That there are some people who will read all posts, including those with vague subject lines? That was never at issue. I only wondered whether there are other people who would have had valuable advice to offer had they opened the post, but did not because the subject line was too vague to attract their attention or interest. After all, not everyone has the time or interest to read every post. The poster who wants expert advice will help his cause by writing a precise subject line to attract the experts' attention.

Finally, the only way we could know whether vague subject lines really do lose some experience readers would be to survey all members. Until we do, my recommendation is based on mere speculation, and your triumphant proclamation that you have proved your point is premature.
Toby, it wasn't your post that I was referring to about specific subject lines, however...

If you choose not to read posts because they do not have a specific a subject line, there are many others that will, and of the ones that will surely there will be someone that can answer the questions in the post or perhaps point them in the direction of someone that will.

I'm not quite sure why some people get all bent out of shape on here, as I said earlier it isn't as if I have degraded anyone, been cruel or rude to anyone, I was simply trying to see if anyone would read my post. As for the responses I got...that was just a bonus I guess.

Anyway, have a spectacular weekend Toby and everyone else who has read, or who will read my post.
:)

EaSt CoAsT GiRl

Star Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2010
AOR Received.
30-07-2010
File Transfer...
01-06-2010

locolynn said:
just gave you a plus rating cuz I know you are good peeps. Though I do like a detailed subject line just for the record. LOL!
Haha, thanks locolyn...much appreciated :) lol

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011

EaSt CoAsT GiRl said:
Toby, it wasn't your post that I was referring to about specific subject lines, however...

If you choose not to read posts because they do not have a specific a subject line, there are many others that will, and of the ones that will surely there will be someone that can answer the questions in the post or perhaps point them in the direction of someone that will.

I'm not quite sure why some people get all bent out of shape on here, as I said earlier it isn't as if I have degraded anyone, been cruel or rude to anyone, I was simply trying to see if anyone would read my post. As for the responses I got...that was just a bonus I guess.

Anyway, have a spectacular weekend Toby and everyone else who has read, or who will read my post.
:)
I will agree that some people got quite negative over what I took to be a rather light-hearted post. GO figure.

I revised my original post -- coincidentally while you were replying. I found the original tone more strict than I really intended. You are right that some kind souls will read posts with vague subject lines, but some experts with limited time won't, and that's a shame. That is my only point.

You, too, have a great weekend.

(But it's only Thursday in Canada, right? Where are you writing from? I'm in China.)

EaSt CoAsT GiRl

Star Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2010
AOR Received.
30-07-2010
File Transfer...
01-06-2010
@Toby.....I am in New Brunswick Canada, and it's Friday here :) I will have to go back and re-read your post since you made the changes.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
I am aware you are speaking about my post.

And therefore I will respond (a bit late)

I requested proper subject headings, because its very time consuming to go through every single thread on this forum. I may be looking for something in particular, but not able to find it due to 'help' threads. Therefore I now have to make a new thread asking the same thing over for someone to post the same information. I would say that people agree with me, based on the content of the posts to this thread and the fact you got negative ratings. The negative ratings was due to the fact that you chose to be very defensive in your actions without acknowledging that it is a valid point.

While you maybe able to sit all day and read all the posts on this forum, I , neither do many others on this forum have the luxury to do so. And we appreciate proper subject headings.

I am guessing proper communication, understanding how to write a letter/memo etc. has never been taught to you. Because the same level of principles apply. except it is in electronic form for persons to respond.

Today the level of communications have gone down to such a low level, its quite laughable at sometimes that people think this is 'norm' and anything goes. Just because people do respond to 'help' questions does not mean that its a practice should continue! There are

lynw

Jul 1, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2010
AOR Received.
29-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-07-2010
Med's Done....
17-05-2010
Passport Req..
25-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-09-2010
LANDED..........
23-09-2010
Think of the usefulness to future applicants too - not so great when so many threads have meaningless topics.

Meaningful headers are just basic, well-accepted etiquette;, if the OP has a beef with that it's not really our problem.

Cheers!

giggles1985

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 25, 2010
AOR Received.
July 22, 2010
File Transfer...
July 28, 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 03, 2010
Passport Req..
Sept 16, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 05, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 09, 2010
No upsetness on my part regarding this little test, but to share my 2 cents on the topic at hand :)...

I am inclined to agree with the people who want a detailed subject. I think that everyone here is here for "help" in one form or another so a subject line of something like that is like saying "New thread" or "Thread title here" :p Just pointless, really, and unhelpful.

That doesn't mean people won't read it because the amount of people who read a thread go up AND drop at the same time when the subject is detailed. For example, if I think I might have an opinion on a particular topic I would likely read and respond. If the subject is something that does not apply to me at all, I would likely not read it. If you know what I mean?

Imo, detailed subject lines might not get more people to read your thread, but maybe just the right people. The ones who know about your subject and might be able to help you.

/2 cents

EaSt CoAsT GiRl

Star Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2010
AOR Received.
30-07-2010
File Transfer...
01-06-2010
HoneyBird said:
I am aware you are speaking about my post.

And therefore I will respond (a bit late)

I requested proper subject headings, because its very time consuming to go through every single thread on this forum. I may be looking for something in particular, but not able to find it due to 'help' threads. Therefore I now have to make a new thread asking the same thing over for someone to post the same information. I would say that people agree with me, based on the content of the posts to this thread and the fact you got negative ratings. The negative ratings was due to the fact that you chose to be very defensive in your actions without acknowledging that it is a valid point.

While you maybe able to sit all day and read all the posts on this forum, I , neither do many others on this forum have the luxury to do so. And we appreciate proper subject headings.

I am guessing proper communication, understanding how to write a letter/memo etc. has never been taught to you. Because the same level of principles apply. except it is in electronic form for persons to respond.

Today the level of communications have gone down to such a low level, its quite laughable at sometimes that people think this is 'norm' and anything goes. Just because people do respond to 'help' questions does not mean that its a practice should continue! There are
Actually...the post I was referring to was on another forum I belong to (Canada Immigration and Visa). just so we're clear, so who's being defensive?

I find your tone with me amusing. I did not now, or ever attack anyone on this forum and would appreciate the same from you. To say you guess proper communication, understanding how to write a letter/memo. etc has never been taught to me is quite rude. I am a professional woman and do NOT sit on here all day and read posts, but I do however read many posts that have been posted since the last time I logged in. If the original question doesn't have anything to do with the level of knowledge I have on the topic, I read no further and go on to the next post. It truly isn't a big deal.

I did not come on here to argue with people, and find it quite ridiculous how bent out of shape you are over a harmless post.

While I may not have agreed that it is a valid point, I didn't say it isn't a valid point either. Yes it is very helpful when people put a specific subject line for their posts, I just don't think it's necessary and don't know how people think they can have the right to dictate to others that they need to do that.

Hope everyone has a great weekend,

Cheers to all :)

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
giggles1985 said:
Imo, detailed subject lines might not get more people to read your thread, but maybe just the right people. The ones who know about your subject and might be able to help you.

/2 cents
That is what I meant to say; I wish I had said my piece so concisely!! Well done.

For the others, why don't we all make our points without making personal attacks? They are cheap shots, folks, and they're counterproductive.

If (for example) you want to say that writing a precise subject line is common practice in good communication, it is not necessary or helpful to speculate that another poster (who is arguing the obverse) has not taken any courses in good communication. Indeed, such a cheap shot will precipitate a rebuttal, and the thread will probably degenerate into a mud-slinging contest. Other readers will stop reading the exchanges out of boredom or distaste, and if a third poster happens to add a comment of value, it will not be read.

So, play nice, eh? And if you can't play nice, be silent.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I tend to read threads that have more than one page of replies on them.

Never thought of looking at the subject header.

I think I must be a bit odd....LOL

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
My boss told me something valuable about my OCD. She told me to remember that sometimes things are just my own personal expectations and I shouldn't hold anyone to them. Requesting proper thread titles is just our own form of OCD, you know? Sure, that would be amazing for me too because I'm so awfully picky and into organization, but it's just not the way the world works. It just doesn't matter. We have the "search" thing and that works well enough. That's my 2 cents :)

britincanada

Apr 15, 2010
Hamilton Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
31-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2010
LANDED..........
29-09-2010
EaSt CoAsT GiRl said:
Just wanted to see how many people actually read this post despite the Subject only being "help". (obviously I have since changed the subject...some people are just too up tight).

Hope everyone is having a smooth PR process (or sponsorship for those still at that stage of the process).

Have a fantastic weekend everyone :)
Hahaha..Eastcoastgirl your funny, I was in no way upset or offended by your post and gave you a + karma rating for your humour...lol..I suspect like me many people that are on this forum are just "whiling away the hours" to pass the time whilst waiting for PR...so its not like its life or death which posts you read!!!

Hope you have a great weekend :D

EaSt CoAsT GiRl

Star Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2010
AOR Received.
30-07-2010
File Transfer...
01-06-2010
britincanada said:
Hahaha..Eastcoastgirl your funny, I was in no way upset or offended by your post and gave you a + karma rating for your humour...lol..I suspect like me many people that are on this forum are just "whiling away the hours" to pass the time whilst waiting for PR...so its not like its life or death which posts you read!!!

Thanks Brit...my weekend was fantastic, hope your was as well :)

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
britincanada said:

since my application has long since gone in, i am definitely here 'whiling away the hours'.

4 days, 22 hours and 45 minutes to be precise. beat that! lol

at least when my husband gets here i know that while i may have waited about 800 days for us to be together that .5% of the time i was learning more about immigration, and hopefully helping others along the way.