+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No PR card yet for spouse sponsorship

bieber123

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
Hi there,

I haven't received my PR card yet but I will submit an inland spouse sponsorship application. It says on the IMM5533E checklist that you have to submit a photocopy of permanent resident card.
"1.
Status in Canada
Please check the box which describes your (the sponsor's) status in Canada and provide the relevant documentation:
I am a Permanent Resident of Canada:
Submit a photocopy of your Permanent Resident Card (both sides).
Note:
If your card is expired, you can submit a copy of your expired card."

Is COPR photocopy fine or do I need to wait for 2 months to get the PR card before I can submit the application? Thanks!

jptskt

Apr 4, 2017
Category........
FAM
Hi there,

I haven't received my PR card yet but I will submit an inland spouse sponsorship application. It says on the IMM5533E checklist that you have to submit a photocopy of permanent resident card.
"1.
Status in Canada
Please check the box which describes your (the sponsor's) status in Canada and provide the relevant documentation:
Note:

Is COPR photocopy fine or do I need to wait for 2 months to get the PR card before I can submit the application? Thanks!
You need to be at least a PR in order to sponsor your spouse. CoPR will not work. You will need your PR card. Don't submit your spousal application before you get your PR card.

Cross99

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
Just a word of caution - if you were married at the time of your landing and did not declare your spouse, you are no longer eligible to sponsor them.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there,

"1.
Status in Canada
Note:

Hi

You can apply now. Include a copy of your COPR and a letter explaining you haven't yet recieved your PR card.

Besto181

May 3, 2018
This is long but just a question to the OP. Did you apply with the COPR and were successful? Were the documents returned without the copy of the PR card?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
This is long but just a question to the OP. Did you apply with the COPR and were successful? Were the documents returned without the copy of the PR card?
As already stated above, a PR card is not required.