+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No PR card going back to canada

maverick2020

Oct 31, 2020
Hi,

I am in USA and did my soft landing via Cornwall with my COPR in Nov 2018 from US side. I was asked for both usa and canadian contact addresses by the border agent. He asked me for how long i would be in Canada and I said few days. He told me that the PR card would be mailed to my usa address which never happened. When i raised this to IRCC after 6 months, I was informed that my Canadian address was never updated in the system. I have the following questions?
1) Is it possible to apply for PR card via a friend in Canada?
2) The other option i read is PRTD. In the application item 8 it states the following for supporting documents (At a minimum you must provide 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the 5 years immediately before the application.) I do not have any document other than SIN number which i applied and received there.
3) I plan to travel there sometime next year, due to COVID not sure regarding timelines, how to get PRTD valid for a year?
4) My second child was born last year in USA, can i sponsor her for PR too from outside Canada? I read that a person with US passport can stay in Canada at most for 6 months.

Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: ashwin.metpalli

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hi,

I am in USA and did my soft landing via Cornwall with my COPR in Nov 2018 from US side. I was asked for both usa and canadian contact addresses by the border agent. He asked me for how long i would be in Canada and I said few days. He told me that the PR card would be mailed to my usa address which never happened. When i raised this to IRCC after 6 months, I was informed that my Canadian address was never updated in the system. I have the following questions?
2) The other option i read is PRTD. In the application item 8 it states the following for supporting documents (At a minimum you must provide 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the 5 years immediately before the application.) I do not have any document other than SIN number which i applied and received there.
3) I plan to travel there sometime next year, due to COVID not sure regarding timelines, how to get PRTD valid for a year?
4) My second child was born last year in USA, can i sponsor her for PR too from outside Canada? I read that a person with US passport can stay in Canada at most for 6 months.

Thanks in advance!!
  1. No. You need to apply from within Canada. You have to be physically present to apply, though you don’t have to remain during processing. You could use you friends address for mailing.
  2. If you are crossing at a POE by car/foot, you don’t need a PR card.
  3. No idea
  4. You can only apply for her PR in Canada and must remain in Canada for the processing period (short trips are allowed).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You must be compliant with your RO to sponsor your child. In most provinces your child won't qualify for healthcare until they are a PR so you'll need to purchase emergency medical insurance.

Reactions: maverick2020

maverick2020

Oct 31, 2020
  1. No. You need to apply from within Canada. You have to be physically present to apply, though you don’t have to remain during processing. You could use you friends address for mailing.
  2. If you are crossing at a POE by car/foot, you don’t need a PR card.
  3. No idea
  4. You can only apply for her PR in Canada and must remain in Canada for the processing period (short trips are allowed).
Thanks for your response. Not clear on 2) what can i use for my identification the COPR & SIN?

maverick2020

Oct 31, 2020
You must be compliant with your RO to sponsor your child. In most provinces your child won't qualify for healthcare until they are a PR so you'll need to purchase emergency medical insurance.
Thanks for your response. Can you please elaborate on "compliant with your RO"?

ashwin.metpalli

Star Member
May 28, 2018
Hi,

Thanks in advance!!
Hi Maverick,
I am exactly in the same boat as you. Can you please confirm whether you were able to travel using COPR as identification document across the US - Canada border? Thank you in advance!

Reactions: skye