+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

no parent at our wedding

dt911

Mar 27, 2016
Hello Folks,

My wife and i recently got married in Canada according to our hindu custom. we eloped first and then got married here in Canada with all our relative and friends. (it is a common practise in our culture) Although, my wife parents are aware of our wedding, they didn't attend the wedding because her parents are from a higher caste family then i am. But they gave their blessing through the telephone and promised that they would have a little wedding for us later in the year. i am applying for inland application, will not having her parent at the wedding be a concern, please help ?

Fawzietrim

Dec 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2016
Doc's Request.
15-04-2016
AOR Received.
AOR2:13-04-2016
File Transfer...
22-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront/15-03-2016
Passport Req..
06-05-2016
I have the same question. I went to beirut for my wedding and all my family members attended like aunts and uncles and cousins. But my oarents mother and father couldnt leave canada because they didnt receive the pr card yet.
Hope that someone could help us

dt911

Mar 27, 2016
Fawzietrim said:
I have the same question. I went to beirut for my wedding and all my family members attended like aunts and uncles and cousins. But my oarents mother and father couldnt leave canada because they didnt receive the pr card yet.
Hope that someone could help us
i think in your case @Fawzietrim it is understandable.. if you explained it in a different sheet of paper.

Fawzietrim

Dec 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2016
Doc's Request.
15-04-2016
AOR Received.
AOR2:13-04-2016
File Transfer...
22-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront/15-03-2016
Passport Req..
06-05-2016
dt911 said:
i think in your case @Fawzietrim it is understandable.. if you explained it in a different sheet of paper.
I just explained that in the place they gave us and my mom wrote me a letter to proove that she is okay with our relationship. But i m still nervous that i didnt exolain enough or i didnt give enough information

dt911

Mar 27, 2016
Fawzietrim said:
I just explained that in the place they gave us and my mom wrote me a letter to proove that she is okay with our relationship. But i m still nervous that i didnt exolain enough or i didnt give enough information
just my understanding
i don't think they can refuse you based on your parent snot being at your wedding, i am sure as along as your relationship is genuine. it should be good. hey some people have good relationship with their parents and some don't have. so i am sure that CIC is clever enough to notice that

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Not having parents at a wedding is a concern, in particular where large weddings are a cultural norm. However, to lessen the visa officer's concern, you have to explain why the parents were not there.

However, I would not say your parents did not attend the wedding because they are of a higher caste. Just say they couldn't be there, they do approve of the wedding, and are planning a smaller celebration for the two of you later. A letter of support from them will help as well.

If plenty of other relatives and friends attended, it should be fine. Even if it was a very small wedding, if that is normal in your culture, there will be no problem. If it is not normal in your culture, you just have to explain why you chose that. Don't leave the visa officer guessing.

mcbeth

Star Member
Aug 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow------>Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/02/14
Doc's Request.
23/02/15
File Transfer...
27/02/14
Med's Request
re-do requested 25/02/15
Med's Done....
28/02/15 re-do
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2015
LANDED..........
19-06-2015
My wedding wasn't attended by either of our parents, we just explained the cost of travel was prohibitive to them all attending. No questions were asked by CIC officers.

erwinjohn997

Nov 4, 2014
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
waiting..
without parents in the wedding is understandable in some culture. me My parents did not attend our wedding because they are not presently living here in Canada with us.

Masriixo

Jul 5, 2015
App. Filed.......
April 15th, 2015
LANDED..........
June 20th, 2017
My husbands parents didn't attend the wedding because they were in Syria and couldn't travel due to safety issues. We Skyped them in and screen shot it and sent it in with an explanation stating as to why they didn't come

fabioadias

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Rio de Janeiro Brasil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
14-12-2014
Med's Request
30-12-2014
Med's Done....
12-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
27-01-2015
Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. This has been very helpful.

My wife and I got married here in Canada without any family at the cerimony. We'll be applying for her sponsorship pretty soon.

dt911

Mar 27, 2016
thankyou everyone for you insightful feedback...another story..

My sister spononserd my brother-in-law from another country..She also stated those reason about why my parents weren't at her wedding, that wasn't enought for them.. they gave her so many headache regarding that. honestly,i sometime think many of the CIC officer lack knowledge about another culture.

M

mikeymyke

dt911 said:
thankyou everyone for you insightful feedback...another story..

My sister spononserd my brother-in-law from another country..She also stated those reason about why my parents weren't at her wedding, that wasn't enought for them.. they gave her so many headache regarding that. honestly,i sometime think many of the CIC officer lack knowledge about another culture.
Her case might be different than yours. Maybe she didn't do a good job of explaining the circumstances regarding your parents' situation, their finances, employment, etc or whatever it is that they can't come. Either way, as mentioned, depending on the country of origin, parents' attendance is either really important or not, and you need to look at the strength of your relationship profile. If you feel your relationship background is rather weak (ex. short courtship before marriage, large age difference, etc), perhaps it's not a bad idea to show that you've made a decent effort to try to get them to the wedding, but cannot.

My guess is probably, your sister not only had parents not come, but the rest of her relationship profile might be weak, so they're just giving her a headache about the parents not coming

Prelude

Star Member
Feb 28, 2015
British Columbia, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 17, 2015
AOR Received.
November 6, 2015
Med's Request
Done Upfront
Med's Done....
July 11, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM: March 22, 2016 / Rec'd COPR: Mar 24, 2016
LANDED..........
March 25, 2016!
mcbeth said:
My wedding wasn't attended by either of our parents, we just explained the cost of travel was prohibitive to them all attending. No questions were asked by CIC officers.
Similarly, my American wife's parents didn't attend our (very small, private) wedding because her dad suddenly got a new job the week before. We just explained why they didn't come, and it wasn't an issue. There are more ways to prove a relationship is genuine than just by having a big wedding with all your family members there. :>

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
Prelude said:
Similarly, my American wife's parents didn't attend our (very small, private) wedding because her dad suddenly got a new job the week before. We just explained why they didn't come, and it wasn't an issue. There are more ways to prove a relationship is genuine than just by having a big wedding with all your family members there. :>
While I don't think this will be much of an issue for the OP, cultural norms do play a big part in how certain visa offices view the relationship. American applicants have a much lower burden of proof than the OP will have. It's also seen as more culturally normal for someone from the US to have let's say, a small court house wedding without parent's attending.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The OP mentioned their Hindu customs. If they are both Hindus, then customarily the parents would be at the wedding, and the wedding ceremony would be large. If there is something that is not normal for your culture, you must explain it. Explain why parents were not there; explain why the wedding ceremony was not typical for your culture. And include lots of evidence that your relationship is genuine, to make up for any doubts that the visa officer might have because of the wedding.

It is certainly true that many people have been approved even if their parents were not at the wedding. However, small wedding ceremonies are not unusual in the USA and other western countries. They are unusual in certain cultures. Since your sister was questioned about this in her application, I'm guessing the visa officer felt her wedding did not meet her cultural norms, and wanted to know why. Explain in the application, and up the amount of relationship proof.