+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No marriage certificate (India) but have all proof of marriage.

Apr 7, 2017
Hello Seniors ,

This is a question regarding proof of marriage certificate. Can you advise?

I live in Canada and I got the ITA 12 days ago.I am on ICT work permit.
I got married in 2008 in India and I had Gaytri Mandir marriage certificate.
unfortunately, I was not able to register my marriage till now, but I used Affidavit(Notarized) in all Canada Visa and work permit extension process documentation and these all documents approved since 2014, this means CIC accepted my notarized Marriage affidavit.
I am not sure, I will be able to get my marriage certificate on time as I am living in Canada and can not travel back home country India to get this registered .i only have 70 days to submit doc now.In addition, My name has printed on my wife's passport in spouse name field.

I can translate that Gayatri Mandir certificate from authorised Canada Translator.
1) do they ask for marriage certificate (Proper Indian Government authorised)
2) what else can I do without having to provide marriage certificate.?
3)will my notarized marriage certificate work for PR application?
4) will I need to notarized my Indian marriage affidavit again from Canada.?

Thanks in advance

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
if you did not have time to register your marriage, make the time and do it now. it is a very important document.

1. yes
2. you cant do anything else other than produce that document
3. no
4. you need the marriage certificate issued by the government

Apr 7, 2017
Thanks for your reply, I am trying hard to get this document.

Just to clarify as per CIC
"Purpose

To validate marital status claims

Document requirements

This document is requested only when marital status is listed as married.
The marriage must be valid under the law of the country where it took place and under Canadian law.
A marriage performed in an embassy or consulate must comply with the law of the host country where it took place, not the country of nationality of the embassy or consulate.
If the applicant married in Canada, a copy of the marriage certificate issued by the province or territory where the marriage took place must be provided.
If the applicant married outside Canada, a copy of a legal certificate issued by the country, the territory or the region where the marriage took place must be provided.

"If the applicant married outside Canada, a copy of a legal certificate issued by the country, the territory or the region where the marriage took place must be provided"

So, in this case, I have My marriage certificate provided by "Local Community temple" where my marriage took place and also I have an affidavit, that I have been using this affidavit legally for CIC visa and work permit purpose since 4 years.

Will this temple marriage certificate with a translation not suffice?

Thanks

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
AP_India_canada said:
Thanks for your reply, I am trying hard to get this document.

Just to clarify as per CIC
"Purpose

To validate marital status claims

Document requirements

This document is requested only when marital status is listed as married.
The marriage must be valid under the law of the country where it took place and under Canadian law.
A marriage performed in an embassy or consulate must comply with the law of the host country where it took place, not the country of nationality of the embassy or consulate.
If the applicant married in Canada, a copy of the marriage certificate issued by the province or territory where the marriage took place must be provided.
If the applicant married outside Canada, a copy of a legal certificate issued by the country, the territory or the region where the marriage took place must be provided.

"If the applicant married outside Canada, a copy of a legal certificate issued by the country, the territory or the region where the marriage took place must be provided"

So, in this case, I have My marriage certificate provided by "Local Community temple" where my marriage took place and also I have an affidavit, that I have been using this affidavit legally for CIC visa and work permit purpose since 4 years.

Will this temple marriage certificate with a translation not suffice?

Thanks
Religious marriages in India are not recosgnised legally. You have to either get married in a court (and the religious marriage is just ceremonious) or you register your religious marriage with the government registrar of births, deaths and marriages.

Your temple marriage isnt registered with the government registrar of births, deaths and marriages. An affidavit is nothing but a self declaration on oath. The government registrar of births, deaths and marriages does not have any record of your marriage. Therefore, your marriage is voidable. Your religious entity will accept you are married but there is no official record that has any proof of your marriage.

As you mentioned in your post: If the applicant married outside Canada, a copy of a legal certificate issued by the country, the territory or the region where the marriage took place must be provided

The affidavit is not a legal certificate issued by the country where the marriage took place. The affidavit is just a self declaration

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
xpressentry said:
Religious marriages in India are not recosgnised legally. You have to either get married in a court (and the religious marriage is just ceremonious) or you register your religious marriage with the government registrar of births, deaths and marriages.

Your temple marriage isnt registered with the government registrar of births, deaths and marriages. An affidavit is nothing but a self declaration on oath. The government registrar of births, deaths and marriages does not have any record of your marriage. Therefore, your marriage is voidable. Your religious entity will accept you are married but there is no official record that has any proof of your marriage.

As you mentioned in your post: If the applicant married outside Canada, a copy of a legal certificate issued by the country, the territory or the region where the marriage took place must be provided

The affidavit is not a legal certificate issued by the country where the marriage took place. The affidavit is just a self declaration

Marriage certificate provided by town with state is fine right? Nowhere it says India or govt of India in my certificate. It just mentions govt. of my state and their seal.

sat8979

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
Dear AP_india_canada,

Can you please advice us on how you proceeded with your application in relation to your marriage certificate. Did you manage to do it without registering with Registrar Marriages, Births of Indian Government?

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Please guide...
I'm married for 3 years. No kids.

1.How to register marriage in India(Delhi) ?
2. What if we do court marriage now? But my name is already there in my wife's passport.

Please reply guys...

Roh4some

Jun 27, 2018
Dear AP_india_canada,

Can you please advice us on how you proceeded with your application in relation to your marriage certificate. Did you manage to do it without registering with Registrar Marriages, Births of Indian Government?

Thanks
Dear AP and Sat,

I am in the same situation as you both. Just want to check if there was any luck in your cases or is it mandatory to go back to India and register for marriage certificate.

Thanks in advance
Rohan

erhimanshuee

Oct 4, 2018
Dear AP and Sat,

I am in the same situation as you both. Just want to check if there was any luck in your cases or is it mandatory to go back to India and register for marriage certificate.

Thanks in advance
Rohan
Hi Rohan,
I am also in same situation as you. Did you went to India to register your marriage?

Roh4some

Jun 27, 2018
Hi Rohan,
I am also in same situation as you. Did you went to India to register your marriage?
Hi Himanshu,

I followed the advise of the people in same situation before where I personally went down to India to Mumbai which is my home city with my wife and we registered our marriage with the registrar of marriages. Our marriage took place in jamshedpur which is my wifes home city but you have an option to register in any of the two places. There is no way out but you can speeden the process by catching hold of an agent who can help in getting you a sooner date. If you have a Hindu marriage then its easy to get marriage certificate from Municipality by applying online, do not know much of it but you can check on google. I trist this helps. Regards and best of luck.

AOR - April 24 2019
MEP - June 10 2019
Request for RFRP Fee - June 28 2019

pathan19

Star Member
Mar 16, 2020
Can Someone please help me here? To register for a marriage you have to be present in the country because these days they have introduced the process of biometrics. Also, I have english nikah nama which clearly says marriage certificate in the heading. What if I do MEA attestation on it ? It ll prove the authenticity of the document.

Nif

Jun 20, 2020
Same here ..
Am from TN
Ours is qazi marriage certificate with govt kazi seal on it..
Also attested by mea and holds and appostile..
Will that suffice?