Nomination.....
BRITISH COLUMBIA
AOR Received.
10-DEC-2020
File Transfer...
20-JUNE-2020
Hi,

Did your application go through ?

I have an issue with the details for immediate family members. My parent has no last name and only given name available in the passport.
since it's mandatory to include details in both first and last name fields, I am unsure what details to enter.

Kindly let me know what to do in this scenario and if it has worked,
Only Family Name is mandatory. Write their Given names in Family Name. I also put my full name in family name on my work and study permit.

Sambb

Nov 5, 2020
Hi,

Did your application go through ?

I have an issue with the details for immediate family members. My parent has no last name and only given name available in the passport.
since it's mandatory to include details in both first and last name fields, I am unsure what details to enter.

Kindly let me know what to do in this scenario and if it has worked,
Hi,
If the given name in the passport has two names like 'George Bill' then it will be written George as first name and Bill as last name and for the middle name it will be 'Not applicable'.

joeljosek

Jun 7, 2020
Only Family Name is mandatory. Write their Given names in Family Name. I also put my full name in family name on my work and study permit.
This is for my parent name that I am asking.
In the immediate family details section post one gets an ITA, it is mandatory to fill both first and last name for parents and it does not let you move forward by just putting either last name or first name. So my question is, since you cannot leave the last or first name blank in the form, what should we put in last name if the parent has only a first name and no last name in their passport ?

For the time being I have put their first name in both first and last name fields in the form. Though I am not sure if this is the correct approach.

joeljosek

Jun 7, 2020
Hi,
If the given name in the passport has two names like 'George Bill' then it will be written George as first name and Bill as last name and for the middle name it will be 'Not applicable'.
Are you sure of this approach, I am in doubt as wouldn't it then imply that the parents first name is George and last name Bill. Also this wouldn't match their passport details and I'm worried of a scenario when we apply for parents visa using their passports, the details mentioned here wouldn't match the details of their passport.

mapple007

Oct 2, 2020
I believe it‘s okay to write “Please see attached“ as well or simply repeat the names, and make sure to include a letter of explanation clearly explaining the issue.
Although, I’m genuinely intrigued and perplexed by how she might be referred to by her parents, family and close friends growing up. Life must be unfathomably different not having a given name to the rest of the people around her, unless it’s common in her culture.

joeljosek

Jun 7, 2020
I believe it‘s okay to write “Please see attached“ as well or simply repeat the names, and make sure to include a letter of explanation clearly explaining the issue.
Although, I’m genuinely intrigued and perplexed by how she might be referred to by her parents, family and close friends growing up. Life must be unfathomably different not having a given name to the rest of the people around her, unless it’s common in her culture.
I guess you misunderstood, what I mentioned is that she has a first name but no last name. It is common in South India to not have a last name.

Your suggestion makes sense, I have put the first name (for ex : George Bill) in both first and last name fields and will explain it in the LOE.

Thanks

Rahil Khan

Star Member
Jan 22, 2023
Hi,
Hello Sir i am going to apply to sds canadian student visa. The issue is that my whole name which is Rahil Khan is written in surname portion on the passport and my given name is blank there is nothing its empty.Now while applying to visa online on portal they are asking for first name which I don't have on my passport so sir what should I do I can't leave it blank because it is mandatory and I cannot use the sign of dash(-) in place of it because special characters are not allowed.Kindly help me