+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nikkah certificate U.K. to Canada spousal visa

M.dot

Mar 14, 2019
My husband and I married in U.K with a religious ceremony only, a nikkah. Is that enough to show we are married as we purchased the certificate etc? He is a citizen of Canada. We want to start the process now but not sure if we have to also have a civil legal marriage too.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My husband and I married in U.K with a religious ceremony only, a nikkah. Is that enough to show we are married as we purchased the certificate etc? He is a citizen of Canada. We want to start the process now but not sure if we have to also have a civil legal marriage too.
If it is legally recognized in the UK, then yes. If not, and I doubt that it is, then no. You would need to get legally married.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I believe that you will be required to perform a legally recognized civil marriage ceremony as well.