Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
soon
VISA ISSUED...
soon
LANDED..........
Hello people,

I got info from my bank that CIC attempted my card twice yesterday (a minute interval) and couldnt go through. What i discovered was an error from my bank who placed hold on my account without informing me.

My bank has removed the hold and the account is free to be debited. In this case, will CIC attempt to debit again or should i call CIC and explain and that they should go ahead to debit my account.

please this is urgent.

Thank you

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unibadan said:
Hello people,

I got info from my bank that CIC attempted my card twice yesterday (a minute interval) and couldnt go through. What i discovered was an error from my bank who placed hold on my account without informing me.

My bank has removed the hold and the account is free to be debited. In this case, will CIC attempt to debit again or should i call CIC and explain and that they should go ahead to debit my account.

please this is urgent.

Thank you

Hmmmmm. This is one in which you have to act very fast. Call their phone number and also send them an email informing them of the development. It seems that they usually make 4 attempts

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
9ja4dLord said:
Good day everyone,

I got my COPR and landed in Canada on the 24th of March. Ours was a party of 5. Myself, wifey and 3 boys.

To start with, we left Lagos on the 18th of March and had to go through the US. Plan was to fly to Canada on Sunday 22nd but that changed to Tuesday because of cost. Flight on Sunday between Newark and Calgary was US$3,430 - ONE WAY for EACH PERSON o. The same flight was 190 dollars for Tuesday. End of story. Lesson is that you should look at different days around your travel dates to see if you can make any savings. Trans continental flights look fixed but believe me, they still vary slightly.

I do not want to write for the sake of writing so I have listed the key points that I observed especially during landing and for the few days I spent in Canada.

1. Nobody really asked for POF at the entry point but I had to declare the money I had since it was more than the 10K limit in cash
2. The Immigration officer only asked me to sign the COPR. I couldn't remember the first 3 letters of the postal code and I was too tired to search my phone for it so the officer told me to go do it online when I get home and that's what I did. I didn't have to provide any address at the point of entry.
3. I was also told that I do not need to submit the list of "goods to follow" on the spot. I only need to be sure that I fill up the form whenever I am coming back into Canada with the additional goods. This can only be used ONCE within the next 12 months after landing date. What do I have to bring anyway? Buying things there may be cheaper for me than bringing stuff from Nigeria. It's more useful for folks living in the US already. They can simply bring their stuff and drive across the border.
4. I was looking for a bank that will not deduct monthly maintenance fees so I was directed to First Calgary since they have a no deduction policy. They have their limitations as a regional bank but I was ready to roll with them. However, they want us to book an appointment before they will attend to us and their requirements are sooooo many. They even want my hosts to be joint signatories on the account before they can open an account for us (wifey and self). Over wetin now? dem dey give plenty condition over say na my money dem wan take o. The following morning I was driving by a RBC branch and wifey reminded me that we once approached this very branch to open an account during our last visit to Canada and the only thing they requested was our landing paper, which we did not have then since we were just visiting. So we went in and we were asked to book an appointment (I don't know what their problem is with appointments). They also told us that they have a special package for new immigrants - free checking for 6 months and the account remains free if you have at least one investment account with them after the 6 months. Long story short, we were able to open an account with them. The Registered Education Savings Plan (savings for Children's education) qualifies as an investment account so I may be able to get the free account for a while. On the other hand, if they want to start charging maintenance fees, then I will move to First Calgary after six months since I will have most of the things they asked for by then.
5. SIN - No issues. Simply went to the nearest Service Canada office and got it sorted out.
6. Alberta health card - they requested for a proof of residence (bank mail or utility bill or a mail to an Alberta address with our name on it or a signed lease to indicate that you have rented an apartment). We didn't have this and we were ready to wait before someone told us to go back to the bank and tell them to print our statement (with our name and address). We took this to the Registry and it worked. Health Insurance settled.
7. Driver's license - This is by far the trickiest one for me. One, they didn't take the bank statement (by the way, the Registry handles both health Insurance and the driver's license). I was able to give them a signed lease though (after we got an apartment). Secondly, if you want to convert your license, they will collect the Nigerian license from you and validate it with some Nigerian Authority in Ottawa or so. Therefore, make sure your license is genuine before you leave naija. Also, bear in mind that they will not return the license to you. I had a couple of licenses with conflicting information so it was a real struggle for me. Eventually, I had to stick with driving with my Nigerian and International driver's license (of course this won't continue for long).
8. I wanted to buy a car and although I had the money for the car I opted to take it on credit and pay on a monthly basis. Why? To build a credit history. My host co-signed for me as a sort of guarantor. Please note that many people will not be comfortable to co-sign for you o. This na my brother, he knows my plans and he knows that I have the means to pay. This idea actually started when the dealer told us that they have a program that allows immigrants to pay on a monthly basis if they can show a proof of employment (with landing documents of course). I am not employed in Canada so we asked for alternatives and he told us about the co-signing option. I have two messages here - i). Ask almost everybody if they have a plan/package for new immigrants. Note that some of the plans need to be studied carefully. ii). Try to buy things on credit if possible so that you can build a credit history. Note that if you default on your payment schedule, you are killing the credit history that you planned to build.

I may not have made my points clearly so I'll be willing to clarify if there is need for that.

Finally, I want use this opportunity to show my appreciation to those that have contributed variously to making this thread a solid reference material for all of us.

Congratulations to you. I wish you the very best in Canada

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
9ja4dLord said:
Good day everyone,

I got my COPR and landed in Canada on the 24th of March. Ours was a party of 5. Myself, wifey and 3 boys.

I may not have made my points clearly so I'll be willing to clarify if there is need for that.

Finally, I want use this opportunity to show my appreciation to those that have contributed variously to making this thread a solid reference material for all of us.
Big congratulations on your successful landing. Wishing you the best ahead as you settle into your new life.

Ed_b_good

Sep 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2014
Nomination.....
08-09-2014
Med's Request
04-02-2015
Med's Done....
17-02-2015
Passport Req..
16-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2015
LANDED..........
29-07-2015
Congratulations 9ja4dLord, wishing you successful integration in your new country.

9ja4dLord said:
Good day everyone,

To start with, we left Lagos on the 18th of March and had to go through the US. Plan was to fly to Canada on Sunday 22nd but that changed to Tuesday because of cost. Flight on Sunday between Newark and Calgary was US$3,430 - ONE WAY for EACH PERSON o. The same flight was 190 dollars for Tuesday. End of story. Lesson is that you should look at different days around your travel dates to see if you can make any savings. Trans continental flights look fixed but believe me, they still vary slightly.

kuskus

Champion Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unibadan said:
Hello people,

please this is urgent.

Thank you
If this was the first attempt, relax. They'll try again two more times, with the next attempt between tomorrow and Monday. I had the same experience. Just be doubly sure that there are no more restrictions on your account.

tbaba

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2014
Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/11/2014
Nomination.....
PER 12/03/2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
01-04-2015
Med's Request
24-07-2015
Med's Done....
27-07-2015
Interview........
Telephone interview on 25/02/2016
Passport Req..
29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2016
LANDED..........
28-05-2016
To all those going for interview in AVO in coming weeks, I'm using this opportunity to wish you well and that you will all come out with good news and smile on your mouth.

PORPHRY

Star Member
Feb 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
Doc's Request.
29-10-14 and 01-06-15
AOR Received.
14-04-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
18-11-14
Med's Done....
21-11-14
Passport Req..
19-06-15
tbaba said:
To all those going for interview in AVO in coming weeks, I'm using this opportunity to wish you well and that you will all come out with good news and smile on your mouth.
I say a big AMEN to tour prayer and to all of us awaiting one update or the other from AVO,may our hope not be dashed, amen.

tbaba

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2014
Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/11/2014
Nomination.....
PER 12/03/2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
01-04-2015
Med's Request
24-07-2015
Med's Done....
27-07-2015
Interview........
Passport Req..
29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2016
LANDED..........
28-05-2016
9ja4dLord said:
Good day everyone,

I do not want to write for the sake of writing so I have listed the key points that I observed especially during landing and for the few days I spent in Canada.

1. Nobody really asked for POF at the entry point but I had to declare the money I had since it was more than the 10K limit in cash
2. The Immigration officer only asked me to sign the COPR. I couldn't remember the first 3 letters of the postal code and I was too tired to search my phone for it so the officer told me to go do it online when I get home and that's what I did. I didn't have to provide any address at the point of entry.
3. I was also told that I do not need to submit the list of "goods to follow" on the spot. I only need to be sure that I fill up the form whenever I am coming back into Canada with the additional goods. This can only be used ONCE within the next 12 months after landing date. What do I have to bring anyway? Buying things there may be cheaper for me than bringing stuff from Nigeria. It's more useful for folks living in the US already. They can simply bring their stuff and drive across the border.
4. I was looking for a bank that will not deduct monthly maintenance fees so I was directed to First Calgary since they have a no deduction policy. They have their limitations as a regional bank but I was ready to roll with them. However, they want us to book an appointment before they will attend to us and their requirements are sooooo many. They even want my hosts to be joint signatories on the account before they can open an account for us (wifey and self). Over wetin now? dem dey give plenty condition over say na my money dem wan take o. The following morning I was driving by a RBC branch and wifey reminded me that we once approached this very branch to open an account during our last visit to Canada and the only thing they requested was our landing paper, which we did not have then since we were just visiting. So we went in and we were asked to book an appointment (I don't know what their problem is with appointments). They also told us that they have a special package for new immigrants - free checking for 6 months and the account remains free if you have at least one investment account with them after the 6 months. Long story short, we were able to open an account with them. The Registered Education Savings Plan (savings for Children's education) qualifies as an investment account so I may be able to get the free account for a while. On the other hand, if they want to start charging maintenance fees, then I will move to First Calgary after six months since I will have most of the things they asked for by then.
5. SIN - No issues. Simply went to the nearest Service Canada office and got it sorted out.
6. Alberta health card - they requested for a proof of residence (bank mail or utility bill or a mail to an Alberta address with our name on it or a signed lease to indicate that you have rented an apartment). We didn't have this and we were ready to wait before someone told us to go back to the bank and tell them to print our statement (with our name and address). We took this to the Registry and it worked. Health Insurance settled.
7. Driver's license - This is by far the trickiest one for me. One, they didn't take the bank statement (by the way, the Registry handles both health Insurance and the driver's license). I was able to give them a signed lease though (after we got an apartment). Secondly, if you want to convert your license, they will collect the Nigerian license from you and validate it with some Nigerian Authority in Ottawa or so. Therefore, make sure your license is genuine before you leave naija. Also, bear in mind that they will not return the license to you. I had a couple of licenses with conflicting information so it was a real struggle for me. Eventually, I had to stick with driving with my Nigerian and International driver's license (of course this won't continue for long).
8. I wanted to buy a car and although I had the money for the car I opted to take it on credit and pay on a monthly basis. Why? To build a credit history. My host co-signed for me as a sort of guarantor. Please note that many people will not be comfortable to co-sign for you o. This na my brother, he knows my plans and he knows that I have the means to pay. This idea actually started when the dealer told us that they have a program that allows immigrants to pay on a monthly basis if they can show a proof of employment (with landing documents of course). I am not employed in Canada so we asked for alternatives and he told us about the co-signing option. I have two messages here - i). Ask almost everybody if they have a plan/package for new immigrants. Note that some of the plans need to be studied carefully. ii). Try to buy things on credit if possible so that you can build a credit history. Note that if you default on your payment schedule, you are killing the credit history that you planned to build.

congrat on your safe landing and also for sharing your information

blacky

Nov 14, 2014
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
12-11-2014
Doc's Request.
03-08-15 comp.reg. docs & salary acc stmt
Nomination.....
03-02-15
AOR Received.
03-03-15
IELTS Request
sent with Apps
File Transfer...
16-7-16 bank statement verification
Med's Request
23-02-17
Med's Done....
06-03-17
Interview........
2-5-17 RPRF+Pcc+pof+updated forms
Passport Req..
7-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
21-8-17
LANDED..........
october 2017
congrat naija 4d lord and thanks for sharing.we need more of this to enable us prepare adequately.
God will surely beautify u in ur new country.

tbaba

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2014
Nigeria
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/11/2014
Nomination.....
PER 12/03/2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
01-04-2015
Med's Request
24-07-2015
Med's Done....
27-07-2015
Interview........
Passport Req..
29-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2016
LANDED..........
28-05-2016
Unibadan said:
Hello people,

please this is urgent.

Thank you
congrat on your CC charge

kay_diwe2014

Aug 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-05-2014
Nomination.....
17-09-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Congrats Unibadan on your CC charge........Oluwa is involved.

Unibadan said:
Hello people,

please this is urgent.

Thank you

Sambade

Jul 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/10/2014