+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NIGERIA APPLICANT PLEASE LET US NETWORK.

DonBaker

Star Member
Aug 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2009
File Transfer...
23-01-2010
Med's Request
27-02-2012
Med's Done....
11-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-09-2012
LANDED..........
Good afternoon all.

This is my first post however, I have been a silent follower of this wonderful forum since I got to know about it some weeks ago. I applied for my PR in 2010 and did my medicals on 11-04-2012. I have received the mail to come and pick up my PR Visa at Accra (on 17-07-2012). I am yet to go as I have been delaying it due to the fact that I am not yet ready to move and I know that the visa will start counting as soon as it is stamped on our passports. One of the reasons I am yet to go is that I have a good job here and I don't want to rush off to Canada and find myself in an awkward situation. I actually applied when there was a little instability in the system here in Nigeria 2 years ago but since then I have done a lot of professional certifications and have become more relevant to my organisation. I have been researching about Canada and the ease of integration of immigrants and so far it has not been very encouraging for me. This morning again, I read this thread canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-please-read-do-not-come-to-canada and this re-inforced my fears. So I have 2 questions for us forumites especially those that have landed
1. Please what has your integration experience been like? How easy is it to pick up a professional job? I am a IT Business Analyst and a Project Manager with 12 years experience and some major certifications. What are my prospects?
2. From all those that have landed, how did you go about your job search?

Please advise me.

Also for those that have picked up their 'Ugwu leaves' as it is popularly referred to in this forum, what is the UCI number? i only have the immigration file number so while filling the IMM08 for I saw this and was wondering if it is the same as my immigration file number.

Finally I am planning to move my family there first next year say by March-April and then I can take my time to see how things unfold. I will likely send our passports by courier next week to Accra for the Visas.

Thank you all for the love and wonderful info that we have been sharing with each other in this forum. I wish I knew about this forum earleir than now.

Ikemba

Mar 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MI 2
Med's Request
17-07-2013
Med's Done....
29-07-2013
Passport Req..
11-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2013
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
Congratulations Pa Right on your safe landing. It was a tortuous experience, but good it ended well. Did you get refund from Qatar? :( :(

Kcsider

Jan 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
tinuadeadebola said:
My people,
Happy sunday to you all!!! Why all the silence? Anyways you guys are refuelling for the flurry of activities of the week abi? Am on my way to Accra to pick the Maple leaf and possibly eat the popular Jollof Rice!!!

Guys Arik is quite firm on the issue of yello cards i urge all to get to the airport early and get the card from the airport clinic.

Cheers
Tinuade
Congrats Tinu on ur PPR. ;D ;D ;D

vikolo

Star Member
May 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/04/2010
Doc's Request.
10/06/2010; Addtnl doc request 1st December 2011, submited and acknowledged by accra in January 2012
AOR Received.
10/06/2010- 1st AOR received
IELTS Request
Done and submitted with Docs to Accra- September 2010
File Transfer...
File transfer 15/06/10: 2nd AOR recd 26/10/2010- Ecas status: IN PROCESS since Dec 2010
Med's Request
2nd May, 2012
Med's Done....
7th May, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16th July, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
23rd JULY, 2012
LANDED..........
DECEMBER 2012 by GOD'S GRACE
Right said:
My Dearest Forumites,

Thank you for the well wishes. I know any have really missed me but the truth is I miss you more than you miss me. We are like united Nations, all for one and One for all!
The journey was not smooth at all but if God has destined one for a place, no matter what; you must be there.
Yes, we boarded on Saturday 18th Aug. to montreal via doha but we missed our connecting flight to Montreal and the next flight is on Wednesday; unfortuately, we don't have the transit visa to stay in Doha for more than 24hrs! We have to come back to lagos to reshedule out flight. :-\ :-\ :-\

Lesson one for us all,
Please check your connecting flight to know if they fly to your destination on a daily basis. This was my error as I thought Qatar flies Canada daily.
Lesson two,
Transit free visa will only last 24hrs within the airport (Though I stand to be corrected), As I planned to check-in at any hotel but was refused for lack of transit visa.

We came back to Lagos on Monday to rebook our flight. Guess what, all seats were fully booked. Just like what happened in Doha when I asked to be placed on any other european nations or US. The London olympic and holiday returnees made seats unavailable. The only available seats we got was a bit on the high side and you know that yours sincerely we do the calculation to the nearest kobo! So I gave a tall order to search during the midnight. Alas we got 3 cheapest seats on United Airways for Saturday 25th August (A week after our first aborted journey!) wonderful!!!! while the last seat was N25,000.00 costlier on same plane o! We all have US visas, so no qualms passing through US. But if you must pass US, omo ready for regorous search and please declare all your POF. I did! :eek: :eek: :eek:

LANDING EXPERIENCE
We boarded on 25/08/2012 to Huston Texas at 10.50pm Naija time. Got to US at 5.05am Texas time. Went through the Immigration and Customs (Thank God one of my sons is US citizen) the queue na DIE! So we were allowed to pass through US citizen line. We were sent to the custom room for the declaration of above US$10,000.00.

Went straight to connect our Calgary flight. We wondered for sometime before check-in which actually started at 11am Texas time. We took off to the Holy Land of Calgary at 12.40pm and landed at about 4.00pm Calgary time for a 4hrs 19 mins flight. Note Calgary is 1hr behinde Texas.

AT POE
We were welcomed to Canada and Calgary in particular. Our passport was stamped and visa cancelled since it is for only one leg! We were asked to provide address for PR cards which the man said we come on 6weeks time.
AT CUSTOM POINT
I gave them the declaration form and nobody was even interested in my POF sheewww #hiss# all the houlabaloou that we make on the forum sef! I gave them my list of Goods to follow and was stamped and signed. Meaing any time I decided to bring those listed items, I pay no charges and I included food stuffs, furniture and cars in case I need to ship some items from Naija I heard it is easy and cheap if you got a good exporter. Am negotiating with one now and the price seems reasonable enough. Whats the point using like $5,0000 to equip your house when you got some of the things in Naija which you could ship for say $900.00 to $1,000 (am not Ijebuish but just being PRUDENT!)

FINALLY
I had called Gents2,Moegbenga and theJackson. I will call Seglad, Oloye, BDPA, and iii today. And anyone who I have the fone no.

Calgary is expanding o. The place cold small sha and the roads are bigger than Naija own. So far, am enjoying myself ooooo.

Pa Right has landed gbam gbam GBOSA oooooooooooooooooooo ;D ;D ;D
A really hard and long journey I must say. Pa right this your ''ecor'' worry oh. Anyway thank God for safe landing.

Geelado

Star Member
Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10, 2010.
Doc's Request.
October 28, 2010
Med's Request
May 28, 2012
Med's Done....
June 14, 2012
Passport Req..
November 9, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
November 12, 2012
LANDED..........
April 2013
DonBaker said:
Good afternoon all.

This is my first post however, I have been a silent follower of this wonderful forum since I got to know about it some weeks ago. I applied for my PR in 2010 and did my medicals on 11-04-2012. I have received the mail to come and pick up my PR Visa at Accra (on 17-07-2012). I am yet to go as I have been delaying it due to the fact that I am not yet ready to move and I know that the visa will start counting as soon as it is stamped on our passports. One of the reasons I am yet to go is that I have a good job here and I don't want to rush off to Canada and find myself in an awkward situation. I actually applied when there was a little instability in the system here in Nigeria 2 years ago but since then I have done a lot of professional certifications and have become more relevant to my organisation. I have been researching about Canada and the ease of integration of immigrants and so far it has not been very encouraging for me. This morning again, I read this thread canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-please-read-do-not-come-to-canada and this re-inforced my fears. So I have 2 questions for us forumites especially those that have landed
1. Please what has your integration experience been like? How easy is it to pick up a professional job? I am a IT Business Analyst and a Project Manager with 12 years experience and some major certifications. What are my prospects?

Please advise me.

Also for those that have picked up their 'Ugwu leaves' as it is popularly referred to in this forum, what is the UCI number? i only have the immigration file number so while filling the IMM08 for I saw this and was wondering if it is the same as my immigration file number.

Finally I am planning to move my family there first next year say by March-April and then I can take my time to see how things unfold. I will likely send our passports by courier next week to Accra for the Visas.

Thank you all for the love and wonderful info that we have been sharing with each other in this forum. I wish I knew about this forum earleir than now.
@ DonBaker I read that post too. But I think the guy is trying to compare Canada with US where he is coming from. For those of us who will be migrating from third world country where there is insecurity and all, I guess we should be able to adapt easily. Its good to plan well b4 jetting out sha.

spokes

Nov 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Already landed!
Right said:
Calgary is expanding o. The place cold small sha and the roads are bigger than Naija own. So far, am enjoying myself ooooo.

Pa (Prof)(etc)Right, that is quite an adventure :eek: :eek:
Thank God o.
And much blessings in the new land!!!

tito

Feb 10, 2007
DonBaker said:
Good afternoon all.

Please advise me.

I sent you a pm..

spokes

Nov 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Already landed!
DonBaker said:
Good afternoon all.

Please advise me.

@ DonBaker
The most important thing you are going to do while you still ruminate is go and get your visa(please don't do this by courier if you can help it). You may think it starts counting when you have it, but also know that you are given only 30 days to come for it :-X
After you get it, you will still have onwards of 6 months to decide to go or not to go; and the best part of it is: you can still land, (as you already stated you wish to do with your family) ensure your PR card is in hand and come back and take more time to ruminate (and you will have up to 2 years or so to do that I think before they nullify it? Some body please correct me ???)
Hopefully, the landed seniors should shed some light on the job part, but plan, plan, plan ;)
All in all, I wish you much wisdom as you go through this process.
Cheers!

tito

Feb 10, 2007
Right said:
My Dearest Forumites,

Thank you for the well wishes. I know many have really missed me but the truth is I miss you more than you miss me. We are like united Nations, all for one and One for all!
The journey was not smooth at all but if God has destined one for a place, no matter what; you must be there.
Yes, we boarded on Saturday 18th Aug. to montreal via doha but we missed our connecting flight to Montreal and the next flight is on Wednesday; unfortuately, we don't have the transit visa to stay in Doha for more than 24hrs! We have to come back to lagos to reshedule our flight. :-\ :-\ :-\

Lesson one for us all,
Please check your connecting flight to know if they fly to your destination on a daily basis. This was my error as I thought Qatar flies Canada daily.
Lesson two,
Transit free visa will only last 24hrs within the airport (Though I stand to be corrected), As I planned to check-in at any hotel but was refused for lack of transit visa.

AT CUSTOM POINT
I gave them the declaration form and nobody was even interested in my POF sheewww #hiss# all the houlabaloou that we make on the forum sef! I gave them my list of Goods to follow and was stamped and signed. Meaning any time I decided to bring those listed items, I pay no charges and I included food stuffs, furniture and cars in case I need to ship some items from Naija I heard it is easy and cheap if you got a good exporter. Am negotiating with one now and the price seems reasonable enough. Whats the point using like $5,0000 to equip your house when you got some of the things in Naija which you could ship for say $900.00 to $1,000 (am not Ijebuish but just being PRUDENT!)

FINALLY
I had called Gents2,Moegbenga and theJackson. I will call Seglad, Oloye, BDPA, and iii today. And anyone who I have the fone no.

Congrats and welcome to Canada..thanks for sharing your journey experience, hopefully, some other persons will learn and avoid same mistake.

I would advise you immediately jettison this plan to import stuffs from Nigeria so you don't end up with another tale of woes..theoretically, it is possible but likely not doable in practical terms. You may end up spending more than the $5000 you are planning to avoid, more so with you location in Canada.
Vehicles must be "fit" in accordance with Canadian requirements before they can be allowed for registration, so do proper due diligence on this. Furniture is cheaper here if you know where to look, all these plus it is hell exporting items from Nigeria without having challenges that could cost an arm and a leg.
Please tread carefully...

All the best!

spokes

Nov 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Already landed!
Right said:
My Dearest Forumites,

ned. Meaning any time I decided to bring those listed items, I pay no charges and I included food stuffs, furniture and cars in case I need to ship some items from Naija I heard it is easy and cheap if you got a good exporter. Am negotiating with one now and the price seems reasonable enough. Whats the point using like $5,0000 to equip your house when you got some of the things in Naija which you could ship for say $900.00 to $1,000 (am not Ijebuish but just being PRUDENT!)

FINALLY

Also, Pa Right, did things change in Doha?
The last time I went through that airport, I had a 17 hour layover and had to spend it in a hotel in town (we had transit visas stamped at the Doha airport) paid for by Qatar airlines :eek:
What possibly changed in your case?

guvcode

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
19-03-2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
16-July-2012
LANDED..........
Feb 2013
tito said:
Congrats and welcome to Canada..thanks for sharing your journey experience, hopefully, some other persons will learn and avoid same mistake.

I would advise you immediately jettison this plan to import stuffs from Nigeria so you don't end up with another tale of woes..theoretically, it is possible but likely not doable in practical terms. You may end up spending more than the $5000 you are planning to avoid, more so with you location in Canada.
Vehicles must be "fit" in accordance with Canadian requirements before they can be allowed for registration, so do proper due diligence on this. Furniture is cheaper here if you know where to look, all these plus it is hell exporting items from Nigeria without having challenges that could cost an arm and a leg.

All the best!
@Pa Right

Congrats on the successful landing, despite all the challenges the deed is done. Wishing all the best in the new land.

@Tito

Please do provide info on 'where to look' :) you know the newly landed's will probably not know 'where to look' and it could help guide others that are coming behind and planning their finances. All in favour say 'Ye' :D

Right

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
YES
Ikemba said:
Congratulations Pa Right on your safe landing. It was a tortuous experience, but good it ended well. Did you get refund from Qatar? :( :(
Of course i will. I have collected 100% refund for non-flight before.

Thanks

jodav3

Apr 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 19, 2011
AOR Received.
21/11/2011
Med's Request
25/10/2013
Med's Done....
06/11/2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
April 2, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
11/6/2014
Geelado said:
@ DonBaker I read that post too. But I think the guy is trying to compare Canada with US where he is coming from. For those of us who will be migrating from third world country where there is insecurity and all, I guess we should be able to adapt easily. Its good to plan well b4 jetting out sha.
DonBaker said:
Good afternoon all.

Please advise me.

DonBaker,

Welcome to the family. My view about your post is that we all have different reasons why we want to emmigrate, least of which in my opinion is economic. With about 12 years work experience, I can safely assume that you have risen somehow in your chosen career and would have experienced some of the bumps in the corporate or business world in Nigeria. The primary reason why some of us including myself want to migrate is to give our children a better platform to start afresh. I strongly have faith that Nigeria either as it is today or when it is eventually balkanized will be a better place to be in future but clearly at the moment, it is a serious gamble, dotted with several uncertainties. I will not forgive myself to find out when I am old that I could have given my children a better platform to compete in life.

Needless to tell you that some of us have had close shaves with death in rather unimaginable circumstances despite our so called 'comfort' in Nigeria. It would take a bit of self denial not to face the reality of our present predicament as a nation and opt for a seemingly ideal system like canada if one has the opportunity. As for me, it is not an option to leave family behind while I stay in Nigeria making money. I will rather want to see my children grow before me when I have opportunity to impart right values to them than to make money while they imbibe vices several miles away. If I must go we must all go together, if I must stay, we all must stay together. I also think this decision demands that we dare to burn the bridge, though not recklessly aswe have been severally advised by Seniors. If you are an elephant in Nigeria, it is my believe that you can never be an ant in any other place in the world including Canada except you belong to those who make money the 'usual' way. With the little background you gave, I believe you will find your feat anywhere. Eat that Frog my brother.

If I were you, I will make haste to Accra and pick up the Ugwu leaf. The decision is all yours bros.

Right

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
YES
tito said:
All the best!
Senior tito thank you for the info. I was thinking i could bring car from US at least. With the LOGTF handy I could excape the import duty.

However, furniture i heard is costly. A 3-seater settee for $1,200 haba :eek: :eek: :eek: anyway we explore all opportunity. Thanks once again.