+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Next steps on approved TRV application

Saumya.anni

Jul 20, 2020
Hi,
TRV application of my 10 months old child is approved but as VACs are closed we have not got passport request yet. Please let us know next steps.

1. Can child travel with PR holder parents on basis of approval letter or should have to wait for VAC to be opened in India for visa stamping on passport

2. Can one of PR holder parent go to Canada first and get the child's passport stamped from VAC in Canada. Passport will be then send back to India by post? Is it advisable ?

Thanks in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
TRV application of my 10 months old child is approved but as VACs are closed we have not got passport request yet. Please let us know next steps.

1. Can child travel with PR holder parents on basis of approval letter or should have to wait for VAC to be opened in India for visa stamping on passport

2. Can one of PR holder parent go to Canada first and get the child's passport stamped from VAC in Canada. Passport will be then send back to India by post? Is it advisable ?

Thanks in advance
They need to have the pasport stamped. Yes you could ask if stamping can occur in Ottawa because one parent is in Canada. Would add to your request that you are hoping that stamping can occur in Canada while one parent has already permanently relocate or has always been in Canada because the closure of VFS in India. You want tobget stamping done as soon as possible and are able to arrange the safe return of the passport to India so the family can be reunited in Canada as soon as possible. Have seen others talking about attempting something similar but without results yet.

Reactions: Saumya.anni

Saumya.anni

Jul 20, 2020
Thank you so much for your reply. Both parents are in India as of now. Will you advice one of us to travel first and attempt passport stamping there or just wait for VFS to open in India. We both PR holders have to land by March 2021 to maintain our residency obligations and we want to take our child along on TRV.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: NKBawari

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi,

Thanks in advance
I'm genuinely curious how visa offices in India are going about this.... In a time of emergency, if the visa offices in India (I'm not talking about VFS, I'm talking about the IRCC outpost itself) are not stamping TRVs and won't accept any passports directly there, I would expect it might be possible to courier them to visa office in a closer country, kind of like what they do in Europe/the Middle East. Your plan to get stamping done in Canada seems counterintuitive.

Again, I have no idea if this is the case, so don't take my word, but I'd like to know if anyone's familiar with what the process is.

S.Basra

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
Thank you so much for your reply. Both parents are in India as of now. Will you advice one of us to travel first and attempt passport stamping there or just wait for VFS to open in India. We both PR holders have to land by March 2021 to maintain our residency obligations and we want to take our child along on TRV.
Thanks in advance.
Apparently, you have to wait for visa to be stamped in passport to travel. I think in your approval letter it will be mentioned that "mission office will advice on next steps". Even if you bring passport to Canada you need to know where to submit passport and still have to wait for visa to be stamped. Also it is not recommended to send passport abroad.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm genuinely curious how visa offices in India are going about this.... In a time of emergency, if the visa offices in India (I'm not talking about VFS, I'm talking about the IRCC outpost itself) are not stamping TRVs and won't accept any passports directly there, I would expect it might be possible to courier them to visa office in a closer country, kind of like what they do in Europe/the Middle East. Your plan to get stamping done in Canada seems counterintuitive.

Again, I have no idea if this is the case, so don't take my word, but I'd like to know if anyone's familiar with what the process is.
That may be possible but biometrics remain an issue.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks in advance.
I don‘t believe you’ll be able to ask for passport stamping in Canada without a parent already in Canada. Normally the person needs to be in Canada but I assume there may be some flexibility.

Saumya.anni

Jul 20, 2020
I don‘t believe you’ll be able to ask for passport stamping in Canada without a parent already in Canada. Normally the person needs to be in Canada but I assume there may be some flexibility.
Thanks for your revert. We will check and try to get information from IRCC.

Saumya.anni

Jul 20, 2020
Apparently, you have to wait for visa to be stamped in passport to travel. I think in your approval letter it will be mentioned that "mission office will advice on next steps". Even if you bring passport to Canada you need to know where to submit passport and still have to wait for visa to be stamped. Also it is not recommended to send passport abroad.
Thanks for your reply. Yes approval letter mention - "delhi mission office will advice on next steps".

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Also it is not recommended to send passport abroad.
I gathered from this forum that this is apparently advice given by the Indian passport-issuing authority (there is even a possible criminal charge?!), but people around the world do it all the time and may be necessary in this case or the like. (Also why I was previously curious if the visa offices in India were operational; I'm not as familiar with what's happening on the ground there.)
This is a normal process for applicants living in countries where there is no local visa office or VFS.

S.Basra

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
I gathered from this forum that this is apparently advice given by the Indian passport-issuing authority (there is even a possible criminal charge?!), but people around the world do it all the time and may be necessary in this case or the like. (Also why I was previously curious if the visa offices in India were operational; I'm not as familiar with what's happening on the ground there.)
This is a normal process for applicants living in countries where there is no local visa office or VFS.
May be sending passport out of India can be acceptable looking at current situation but its not recommended in normal situation. Similarly as Canadian PR card is not mailed out of Canada considering the importance of this document.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

May be sending passport out of India can be acceptable looking at current situation but its not recommended in normal situation. Similarly as Canadian PR card is not mailed out of Canada considering the importance of this document.
1. It is illegal to mail an Indian passport in or out of India.