+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Newlywed canadian husband assaulted me, I'm on tourist visa

Jul 17, 2014
I'm a sarcastic person. Sarcasm helps me deal with stressful situations sometimes.
As a funny story... I can tell you that when I went to the police station next day after having filed the report, I had a conversation with the officer like this:
O: so you're enjoying your honeymoon, eh?
me: excuse me? no, the honeymoon was scheduled for one week from now
O: ah. well you're not the record breaker. I had husbands assault wives on the wedding night. so, you didn't make it to the record book.

True story, believe it or not. And don't ridicule me for trying to be sarcastic, even if police can have conversations like that with victims of assault on the next day after filing a report.

missmatalini said:
I didn't realize that being assaulted was a funny thing now-a-days.

This must be a joke.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I was just giving you some information about subpoenas because some alleged victims may not want to testify, especially if it's against a lover.

That said, if you run out of money and need to return home, inform the police before you leave - very important. You can ask them about testifying through videoconference.

Sounds like you have some Canadian work experience(since you once had a work permit)? Perhaps, if you decide to go back to your home country you could look into whether you qualify for the skilled worker program or Canadian Experience Class.

thewildblueberry said:
what if I run out of money to stay in the country? the court date might be in 6 or 12 months from now, and I dont have any source of income. I cant just be in Canada with nothing or live in shelters, are you sure there's no exception to this rule? I'm just a visitor here. Cant I give testimony through videoconference or something like that? I'm originally from Europe so it's not like I can just hop on a plane and travel to Canada easy...
Thanks for all your other advice points! I really appreciate this.

basketballfan

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
SW Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2014
AOR Received.
Feb 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 2014
Med's Done....
August 2013 ; September 2015
Passport Req..
November 2015
thewildblueberry said:
I'm a sarcastic person. Sarcasm helps me deal with stressful situations sometimes.
As a funny story... I can tell you that when I went to the police station next day after having filed the report, I had a conversation with the officer like this:
O: so you're enjoying your honeymoon, eh?
me: excuse me? no, the honeymoon was scheduled for one week from now
O: ah. well you're not the record breaker. I had husbands assault wives on the wedding night. so, you didn't make it to the record book.

True story, believe it or not. And don't ridicule me for trying to be sarcastic, even if police can have conversations like that with victims of assault on the next day after filing a report.
I get it; victims may deal with things in their own way. You appear very strong. I don't have any answers other than if you do plan on divorcing maybe you can get an annulment instead, given the circumstances. I wish you the best of luck.

Jul 17, 2014
Yes, I do have one year of experience here and my boss was extremely happy with me. So applying for a work permit from abroad probably wouldn't be that much of a problem.

The more I think of all the events though, the more I realise that it's probably for my own good if I stay away from Canada as far as possible, because abusers tend to stalk and monitor their victims as much as they can, and I don't want to live my life in fear of bumping into him some day.

Thank you so much for your response!

SenoritaBella said:
I was just giving you some information about subpoenas because some alleged victims may not want to testify, especially if it's against a lover.

That said, if you run out of money and need to return home, inform the police before you leave - very important. You can ask them about testifying through videoconference.

Sounds like you have some Canadian work experience(since you once had a work permit)? Perhaps, if you decide to go back to your home country you could look into whether you qualify for the skilled worker program or Canadian Experience Class.

Jul 17, 2014
I looked into it a bit, and annulment is possible only in exceptional cases... as in no consummation, or already married to someone else, stuff like that. Even if it was marriage of convenience, the court would not count it as grounds for annulment.
So looks like I'll have to be dealing with regular divorce timings, 1 year...

basketballfan said:
I get it; victims may deal with things in their own way. You appear very strong. I don't have any answers other than if you do plan on divorcing maybe you can get an annulment instead, given the circumstances. I wish you the best of luck.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
if you leave canada and go back to your country, i don't think your country of origin's system will care much about your marriage in Canada.

Unless u got married back in country of origin which is a diff story

You can start your new life as soon as you return back, there is nothing holding you back.

Not sure if you'll qualify for any extensions, etc from CIC if your status is that of a visitor.

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
Mickeymkye....you said married Canadians just because very badly, very much,really really want to live in Canada..are you kidding?
Don' t tell me your wife choose number 3 !!

M

mikeymyke

sunsun said:
Mickeymkye....you said married Canadians just because very badly, very much,really really want to live in Canada..are you kidding?
Don' t tell me your wife choose number 3 !!
Yes my wife is #3, and I'm happy about it, because I know she's not using me to get PR. And why would she be so desperate to come here? She makes 10x the average salary in her country, her family owns rental properties that generate enough money for them to never have to leave the house, she's lived in her country her entire life, why would she be so desperate to go to a strange country that she's never been? She's only applying for the PR so that she can live with me, and I was the one who asked her to live in Canada because I have a great paying job, a house, the whole 9 yards. If I lived in her country, which I don't mind if her PR is refused, she would basically be the one caring for me because my job prospects aren't that good, aside from teaching English.

Vietnam might not be as developed as Canada, but that doesn't mean you can't have a good life over there if you're with your spouse. It would be really weird for my wife to want to come to Canada so bad when she's never even been here before. I've been to Vietnam 5x already, and having been in that country, I don't mind to live there at all despite Vietnam's shortcomings.

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
I know about Vietnam because my brother in law has business over there and one of my country rich man, Ciputra has contributed to Vietnam greatly!!!
I also has Vietnamese friends and I know the wages in Vietnam.
I bet that you also know that my country low airline fare,Lion Air has also contributed to Vietnam .
You can tell anything to other people who do not know anything about Vietnam.
Anyway, I heard that Mcdonald franchise Just Opened for the first time because of the son of Vietnam leader.
They were just trained in Thailand...so tell me how great is Vietnam? I bet that your wife also wants to live in Canada so badly..

Kev1n

Nov 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/06/2014
AOR Received.
01/08/2014
File Transfer...
01/08/2014 ( 26/09/2014--AOR2)
Med's Request
14/10/2014
Med's Done....
17/08/2013
Passport Req..
14/10/2014
sunsun said:
I know about Vietnam because my brother in law has business over there and one of my country rich man, Ciputra has contributed to Vietnam greatly!!!
I bet that you also know that my country low airline fare,Lion Air has also contributed to Vietnam .
Anyway, I heard that Mcdonald franchise Just Opened for the first time because of the son of Vietnam leader.
They were just trained in Thailand...so tell me how great is Vietnam? I bet that your wife also wants to live in Canada so badly..
Hi Sunsun, I would disagree, with you that, Mikey's wife wants to live in Canada so badley. as Mikey said his wife earns 10 times the average income, she can live a life of luxury on that income, she can have foot massage naily done and eat out on the money she earns, I know because my wife is Chinese, and she can that on her income there :-X

missmatalini

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 11th 2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF Requested July 15th 2014
AOR Received.
March 25th 2014
File Transfer...
March 28th 2014
Med's Request
July 15th 2014
Med's Done....
July 16th 2014
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
November 13th
LANDED..........
February 2nd 2015
I'm a #3 . . . the ONLY reason I'm moving to Canada is to be with my husband. Otherwise I wouldn't want to live in Canada. Love my home country more, feel like I have better opportunities as well as the fact that I would prefer to live closer to my family as my husbands isn't as supportive as we'd like them to be (Which is why we are applying for a green card for the states as well as my PR in Canada)

M

mikeymyke

sunsun said:
Again, I know Vietnam has its shortcomings, be it communism, a corrupt government (yes I know all about the McDonalds President being the Prime Minister's brother-in-law), a lower quality of life, constant rolling blackouts, dangerous driving, etc. But it has a rich culture, awesome food, everything is inexpensive there, fun lifestyle.

I don't know where you get the idea that my wife wants to come here so badly, again she's never even been to Canada before and she has a great lifestyle in her country. If your spouse is willing to go wherever you will, and vice versa, then you know you have a great partner

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
My main point is your conclusion about people really really want to move or live in Canada so badly. That is why I was upset. That is why I was trying to make you mad but you are not... lol

Obronibini

Jul 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2014 (Received as per tracking 21-03-2013)
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
30-04-2014
Passport Req..
04-08-2014
sunsun said:
My main point is your conclusion about people really really want to move or live in Canada so badly. That is why I was upset. That is why I was trying to make you mad but you are not... lol
haha I don't see why you should be upset though.. He listed three categories . And I agree with most of the things he listed. Just not sure abt few if them . Lol

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
mikeymyke said:
Yes my wife is #3, and I'm happy about it, because I know she's not using me to get PR. And why would she be so desperate to come here? She makes 10x the average salary in her country, her family owns rental properties that generate enough money for them to never have to leave the house, she's lived in her country her entire life, why would she be so desperate to go to a strange country that she's never been? She's only applying for the PR so that she can live with me, and I was the one who asked her to live in Canada because I have a great paying job, a house, the whole 9 yards. If I lived in her country, which I don't mind if her PR is refused, she would basically be the one caring for me because my job prospects aren't that good, aside from teaching English.

Vietnam might not be as developed as Canada, but that doesn't mean you can't have a good life over there if you're with your spouse. It would be really weird for my wife to want to come to Canada so bad when she's never even been here before. I've been to Vietnam 5x already, and having been in that country, I don't mind to live there at all despite Vietnam's shortcomings.
Mikeymike,

I agree with a lot of your postings. But there is one thing I like to point out. Now that you mentioned that your wife has come from a rich family if you will. It is now easy for you to ask everyone else if they are willing to move to the spouse's country, in the event that the PR sponsorship failed, knowing yourself that you can live comfortably in your wife's country.

I agree with the notion of "are you willing to move to your spouse's country if all else fails" in their determination of how genuine their relationship is. But the question loses merit when it is coming from you telling that to others when you can in fact live comfortably in the Vietnam.