waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Awesomeg said:
I wonder how is it possible that you got married and one week after you have had time to have a honey moon.. ????
what does this mean? here in North America it's perfectly acceptable (and usually expected) for the honeymoon to be enjoyed RIGHT after the ceremony. Sometimes couples wait for weather/financial reasons. For the most part, the "honeymoon" is suppose to consumate the marriage, so why would having it one week later matter? I'm not understanding your point.

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
sbarro90095 said:
Out of the many replies, you're the only person who automatically assumed that it was a M.O.C.
For me it sounds like M.O.C. as well. Sorry...
Not the fact that she married on a visitor visa. This happens all the time.

But the fact that she wants to stay in Canada even now that the marriage has broken down. And that the lawyer tells her to just get married to someone else in Canada? Great advice. CIC will see that as well because you have to list previous marriages in your application. Tourist in Canada, marrying a Canadian, getting divorced shortly after, then marry again and afterwards filing an app for PR.
Sound like M.O.C.

If my new husband would assault me I would fly home right away to be with my loved ones (family and friends)

MissRepresentation

Apr 11, 2014
Visa Office......
Paris
I have to agree with LittleApple. For many of us, the only reason to stay in Canada is the fact that we're in a relationship with a Canadian. If the relationship breaks down (due to abuse or whatever reason), why the hell would you want to stay here?!

sammystorm19

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-13
Doc's Request.
23-09-14
AOR Received.
12-06-13
File Transfer...
27-06-13
Med's Done....
18-01-13
Passport Req..
09-10-14
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-14
LANDED..........
07-11-14
MissRepresentation said:
I have to agree with LittleApple. For many of us, the only reason to stay in Canada is the fact that we're in a relationship with a Canadian. If the relationship breaks down (due to abuse or whatever reason), why the hell would you want to stay here?!
I think if you read the OP message again you will see that she is scared to go back to her home country due to abuse. So why would she rush back there to get comfort when she might get abused agian. I know I wouldn't. We also don't know what country she is from. She may be better staying here to have a better life and to get away from the abuse.

Also - we know they were together 2 years before they were married. I don't think this is a case of MOC at all. She came to visit him here and got married..BIG DEAL This happenes a lot...so is that a MOC?? Maybe they wanted his family there and her family travelled. We don't know.

I think those of you assuming that this was a MOC is wrong....heck she was abused by her husband!!! She was asking what she can do to stay here to avoid the same abuse back in her home country.

And to end this......why wouldn't you want to stay in Canada??? I am a proud Canadian and I think that we have one of the best countries in the world....so heck ya I would want to stay as well if I wasn't Canadian

MissRepresentation

Apr 11, 2014
Visa Office......
Paris
sammystorm19 said:
She may be better staying here to have a better life and to get away from the abuse.

And to end this......why wouldn't you want to stay in Canada??? I am a proud Canadian and I think that we have one of the best countries in the world....so heck ya I would want to stay as well if I wasn't Canadian
Getting away from abuse takes a great deal of courage, so kudos to her. However, what constitutes "a better life" or "one of the best countries in the world" is debatable. The OP possibly thinks that her life would be "better" in Canada (with or without husband), but if that's not viable due to legal technicalities, then I don't understand the stubbornness and insistence on wanting to stay here. Life isn't always about either/or decisions. Can't stay in Canada and can't go back to your home country? Then think of a third country. We can't always get what we want.

Obronibini

Jul 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2014 (Received as per tracking 21-03-2013)
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
30-04-2014
Passport Req..
04-08-2014
MissRepresentation said:
looks like she hasn't been in Canada for long even. Since she just got married on visitors visa . She said she suffered the abuse when she was young. That means it may be long long ago . She's now older now and it not clear where she lived before coming to Canada . If the abused stop and she travelled to Canada recently and want to stay she can not use an abuse that happened when she was young as a reason to not want to go back home. If my moms husband use to abuse me when I was let say 15 and stopped long before I became an adult does not mean I can say I suffered abuse before so u can't go back to my country . Because that past and gone long time . Maybe I'd say oh I like it better in Canada and wanna stay . That's much clearer . She didn't say she was still suffering abuse before she came to Canada on tourist visa . If the abuse stopped years back and she was having a normal life before coming to Canada then maybe she was more excited about Canada than the marriage . I see why some people are saying it looks like moc. It not clear . My understanding is that the abuse stopped long ago but am in no position to say it was moc . She shouldn't use an old abuse as an excuse though . She can say she wanna stay coz she likes it better in Canada

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sammystorm19 said:
I think if you read the OP message again you will see that she is scared to go back to her home country due to abuse. So why would she rush back there to get comfort when she might get abused agian. I know I wouldn't. We also don't know what country she is from. She may be better staying here to have a better life and to get away from the abuse.
The abuse that she suffered was from her mother's boyfriend when she was a teenager. If she has to return to her country, why would she need to be anywhere near this monster now?

sammystorm19

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-13
Doc's Request.
23-09-14
AOR Received.
12-06-13
File Transfer...
27-06-13
Med's Done....
18-01-13
Passport Req..
09-10-14
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-14
LANDED..........
07-11-14
Ponga said:
The abuse that she suffered was from her mother's boyfriend when she was a teenager. If she has to return to her country, why would she need to be anywhere near this monster now?
We don't know if she does or doesn't need to be around him as we don't know her situation there. For all we know her mom could be her only family. I was just making a statment based on the little known facts we have.

:)

M

mikeymyke

IMO, there are 3 types of people who come here as a sponsored spouse:

#1) Wants to come to Canada very badly, will do everything possible to come, including marrying a Canadian and then planning on dumping him/her after the 2 year conditional PR.
#2) Wants to come to Canada very much, but does not want to do a MOC or deliberately dupe the sponsor. Wants to live in Canada with a loving spouse. But if given a choice between a spouse who is non-Canadian or a spouse who is Canadian (both spouses would be wonderful partners), this person would choose to be with the Canadian.
#3) Not interested in coming to Canada, only wants to come to Canada to be with their spouse, who prefers to live in Canada. Willing to live in either Canada or their home country.

I think the OP would fall under #2, she clearly wants to remain in Canada, despite just a short time in the country. I don't think it's a MOC just because they've been together for a long time, but at the same time, I also think the OP really wanted to live here, and has thought about it a lot, but also hoped her husband would be a good guy for her.

I don't agree with the reasoning behind not wanting to go back, she's a grown woman, doesn't need to live with the abusive mom's b/f, can go live on her own. If it was a war torn country, or a place like Somalia, then that's understandable. I don't know her specific circumstances, but I believe that the OP should've gone into this marriage/sponsorship because she wanted to live with her husband, not because she also hoped to get PR status. And now that the marriage is likely going to be dissolved, the purpose of the PR application (to be able to live with her husband), is defeated, and she should return home.

I know Canada is an awesome country and many people don't have the opportunity to be able to live her permanently, but look at it this way. If the OP got PR, divorced the husband, and therefore able to stay in the country, so she has this wonderful life in Canada, but if she thinks about it a bit more, she will realize she couldn't have gotten this PR without the abusive husband's help in the first place, so how would the OP feel about that? It's a bit ironic really. This is why I think the OP should return to her country after the divorce, but I strongly encourage her to apply to immigrate here through the other streams, that's really great because we need more skilled workers, live in caregivers, etc. Again, I don't think its an MOC, I think she just really wants to live here permanently, and if she does, she should explore the options CIC offers.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I think there are many misconceptions about abuse and the after effects. Just because someone is not in the abusive environment anymore or it "happened long long ago" does not mean they are no longer affected in some way or that the fear disappears. So please, let's all try to educate ourselves on this issue and hopefully, we can be a bit more understanding towards alleged victims.

It is not a crime for a non-Canadian to arrive here, love the country and its people and want to stay. Can someone clarify what's wrong with really wanting to live in Canada while still having good and noble intentions towards their spouse? Or is the assumption here that these two aspects can't exist at the same time?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I personally think the OP just came in to stir up the shitpot to see what would happen. She didn't even bother to come back to see the outcome either. Registered and last active on the same day.

Even if she is a 'real' person and these things happened, you can't just decide which country you want to live in, go there and stay. I doubt she is from a 'refugee' country as that would've been the FIRST thing a lawyer/consultant would've latched on to. I doubt she has any fear of returning to her home country due to possible abuse by her mothers b/f because she was strong enough to leave it and come to Canada in the first place. That is NOT victim mentality. Nobody that I have ever met has been physically assaulted by ANYONE, let alone a spouse and ended the statement with 'haha'. I don't care how long ago it was; it never was, never is and never will be a 'laughable' moment, so the veracity of her statement alone is really questionable at best.

If these things are true and the OP is real, then she should realize and understand that if Canada is better for her and she wants to be here, that she should return to her home country and investigate her options of returning on her own. Mikeymyke gave her a few options that she can look into for return. I don't feel that anyone should just be allowed to stay once they have arrived in a foreign country without following the same paths that EVERY immigrant before them has followed. There should not be shortcuts or 'easy' ins in ANY country. There are many options available to immigrate to Canada. Choose one that is suitable to your life and your needs and then follow the path.

missmatalini

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 11th 2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF Requested July 15th 2014
AOR Received.
March 25th 2014
File Transfer...
March 28th 2014
Med's Request
July 15th 2014
Med's Done....
July 16th 2014
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
November 13th
LANDED..........
February 2nd 2015
I didn't realize that being assaulted was a funny thing now-a-days.

This must be a joke.

Jul 17, 2014
SenoritaBella already responded to most of this.. but jsut as a clarification, we planned honeymoon 2 weeks after the wedding date. However assault happened 1 week after the wedding, so we didn't have chance to go for honeymoon. Not that it's important anyway :)

The relationship was genuine. I met him while I was here on a temporary work visa that was valid for 1 year. Before it expired, he offered to marry me so that we can stay together, but I didn't feel I knew him well enough and wasn't ready to marry anyway. So I stayed on visitor visa for the second year in Canada. He said he'd help out in case I run out of money, but that never happened, I had my savings. We had plans for 3 years in advance, for vacations and stuff... And we've been together for 2 years before getting married, seeing each other almost every day.

Sorry for making a personal comment, but your response was a bit rude. I believe it was just because you misunderstood my case.

Awesomeg said:
It doesn't seem that you will have a case for Humanitarian Reasons,
I wonder how is it possible that you got married and one week after you have had time to have a honey moon.. ????

When the lawyers tell you that the only way out is a new marriage is because they probably understand that you got married for convenience
and never had intentions to become his wife....

I don't see you getting permanent status, and remember that when you came as a visitor you agreed that it was a visit, you were not getting permanent status in
Canada...... Your marriage attempt to gain permanent status failed, and it is obvious that your intention has been all the way to stay in Canada one way or another,
the marriage attempt failed, any further attempt will be highly scrutinized and in my opinion, the situation that you married and did not have time for your honeymoon will be all what immigration needs to dismiss your application.

Jul 17, 2014
There's no immediate threat from my mom's boyfriend, no. But I don't want to go back to my home country for emotional reasons... years of abuse and denial from mother and him... even if I do have to go back, I'd stay away from them.

Obronibini said:
sorry to hear that , i aggree with everyone in here unfortunately all you can do now is return home and do as others have suggested. Your moms husband can't assault you now right ?

Jul 17, 2014
what if I run out of money to stay in the country? the court date might be in 6 or 12 months from now, and I dont have any source of income. I cant just be in Canada with nothing or live in shelters, are you sure there's no exception to this rule? I'm just a visitor here. Cant I give testimony through videoconference or something like that? I'm originally from Europe so it's not like I can just hop on a plane and travel to Canada easy...
Thanks for all your other advice points! I really appreciate this.

SenoritaBella said:
A few things to know, if you don't already:
2. if the police decide to prosecute him, they will tell you and serve you with a subpoena(requires you to give testimony in court). If that happens, you must appear in court on the date and time indicated on the subpoena. If you don't, a warrant for your arrest may be issued.