+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Newborn citizen certificate born outside canada

sam_99

Dec 2, 2018
Hello,

I currently live in Canada and I recently became Canadian citizen 4 months ago, and my wife gave birth to a child last month and they currently live in India

Do I need to apply for Canadian citizen certificate for her immigration or sponsor her?
If so, where do I need to send the application to ? will it be a consulate office in India Or will I have to send in Canada office?

Note: I currently live in Canada and my new born and my currently live in India

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hello,

I currently live in Canada and I recently became Canadian citizen 4 months ago, and my wife gave birth to a child last month and they currently live in India

Do I need to apply for Canadian citizen certificate for her immigration or sponsor her?
If so, where do I need to send the application to ? will it be a consulate office in India Or will I have to send in Canada office?

Note: I currently live in Canada and my new born and my currently live in India

Thanks
1. You can apply for proof of citizenship for here.
2. You apply in Canada. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/apply.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
if neither you nor your wife are Canadian citizens at birth, while your child was born outside canada, the baby is not a canadian, you will need to sponsor the baby to come to canada.
Incorrect. Children of naturalized Canadians are also Canadian regardless of where they are born.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, I can apply, but my baby currently NOT in Canada and I'm in Canada. so based on this, should I send the application to Canada Office or the consulate office in India..?

Thanks
You've asked this before in another thread and I answered before, but YES, you can apply for proof of citizenship in Canada. It does not matter that the child is not in Canada. If you have everything you need (birth certificate, etc.), YES, you can apply here in Canada.