+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New TRV measures from IRCC for spouses having sponsorship application

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So very true! Early on, it can appear that the process is proceeding apace and all is peachy. But then comes a long period of apparent inactivity that can be a bit hard to take. Long periods of hearing nothing, leading one to conjure up in one's mind all kinds of negative reasons for the prolonged stoney silence.
Exactly - so that period of silence is, unfortunately, 'normal', and not in itself a sign that something is wrong.

Ih4221

Nov 11, 2022
My spouse came on trv in May. We found out recently that she is pregnant. We have got pre arrival services in May but yet to get copr. Has anyone applied for ohip through pre arrival letter or can I buy insurance until I get copr? We are Sep 2022 applicant.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My spouse came on trv in May. We found out recently that she is pregnant. We have got pre arrival services in May but yet to get copr. Has anyone applied for ohip through pre arrival letter or can I buy insurance until I get copr? We are Sep 2022 applicant.
private insurnace will not cover "pre existing condition". So if she's already pregnant, then medical related to her pregnancy will not be covered.

I don't know if OHIP will accept AOR or AIP before adding your spouse to the plan. Hopefully someone from Ontario can answer.

emett22

Jul 24, 2023
Acknowledgment of Receipt.

It's an important milestone and usually comes about 2 months after you submit your wife's application. It's important because it means the application has passed an initial screening and appears to be complete. Until you receive AOR, you cannot be sure the IRCC won't finding some defect or something missing in your application and it will be returned, leaving you to start all over again.

I have returned to edit this post. I referred to "your wife's application", but notice she is your fiancé. You get the idea. I won't change the wording of the above paragraph.

A small point of language, and as someone with a gf from the Philippines, you should know that she is "Filipino", not "Philippino". A common error and quite understandable. Carrying on, a male Filipino is a Filipino. A female is a Filipina. But both are Filipinos, if that makes any sense. :)
Thank you, that makes sense. I knew about the Filipina/Filipino, however I thought that Filipino exclusively referred to male. Thank you for the clarification.

Also, do you know if there is anywhere on this forum where I might find someone who has gone through the process of marrying a filipina? I am Canadian. I just recieved back my Statement in Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage from my government (equivalent to a CENOMAR, something a person needs to get married in the Philippines), however, they denied the request because they said that I do not need it for my destination country. This is odd, since every source and even the Canadian Philippine embassy itself told me that I need this document, and my trip is Aug 15th.

I've heard that you can also get this in the Philippines as well, though I am unsure. If you or anyone else is familiar with this process and has done so successfully, It would mean a lot to me.

I did get a notarized document authenticated by the Canadian government saying that I currently am single, so perhaps that will be enough.

pawan01

Aug 28, 2019
She shouldn’t have gone to Dubai. You must be in Canada and living with you to qualify for the OWP. It looks like she has been in Canad for 3 weeks but abroad for around 4 weeks. When does she plan on returning? The point of the program is to allow spouses to permanently live together during the sponsorship program. The OWP is to both allow the couple to support themselves in Canada and try to meet the needs of the labour market. Has she informed IRCC that she is abroad? When is she planning on returning. A short visit may have been overlooked but she seems to have visited you in Canada while living in Dubai for the majority of the sponsorship.
Thank you for the response. I called IRCC and explain the agent honestly that we applied and then she left. IRCC informed me there is nothing wrong in leaving country during your OWP wait time. She can stay for 6 months or leave for any personal business. IRCC has no restrictions in this matter and this will not in any way affect her OWP application.

Reactions: InfoSeeker12

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the response. I called IRCC and explain the agent honestly that we applied and then she left. IRCC informed me there is nothing wrong in leaving country during your OWP wait time. She can stay for 6 months or leave for any personal business. IRCC has no restrictions in this matter and this will not in any way affect her OWP application.
The customer service line doesn’t give out correct information so would never count on the information provided. If you get a written reply at least you will have concrete evidence of the information provided. Did you specify that the grounds for qualifying for an OWP was for the new spousal OWP for spouses awaiting sponsorship while in Canada. For other OWP applicants there is no need to be in Canada. As part of your sponsorship application and OWP you need to be updating your spouses residential address so IRCC will determine if it is an issue at that point. Keeping her residential address as Canada would be misrepresenting her situation. A short trip home of 2-3 weeks maximum may be overlooked but longer stays are usually considered as a return to your home country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She can travel back but do IRCC has access to see who is in Canada or who left?
She has a TRV so can travel back based on that. Not only does IRCC have access to the information but you also are required to update IRCC on any change to her residential address as part of the requirements of the application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Even if they don't, (which is highly likely that they do have access) they can ask you if your spouse is IN canada and you cannot lie about it once asked.
That's misrepresentation and could result in a 5 year ban.
You are actually supposed to update IRCC about any changes to your residential address not only when they ask. Your residential address impacts how your PR application get processed which is another reason that updating the address is so important.
On the contrary, i guess there is nothing wrong here. Since your wife entered Canada on a TRV and returned before expiry of TRV - she is 100% in line with CBSA expectations at the time of entry, as we have seen recently they do ask for return tickets even if you have Spousal PR application which has got COPR in email...even then they ask for return tickets. They dont send you back if you dont have one, but they do ask. So somewhere in CIC, there is that expectation that visitors must honor the principles of TRV. And this is exactly what your wife has done. Or at least this what she can argue.

Yes she has applied for OWP - and that also does not change a thing! Why? Cuz OWP hasn't been granted yet and who knows if its going to take 30 days, 60 days or 18 months! Who knows. Plus, she legitimately had to return back and complete the unfinished business - resign, take care of other stuffs etc.

Infact, if anything, CIC would actually respect her for honoring the TRV - she used it only to briefly spend time with her family while her Spousal PR was being processed. And now hopefully, when she is returning, her spousal PR would have atleast progressed to PPR stage. I guess even if its COPR - she can still enter Canada on her TRV (if it was multiple entry). And then do the virtual landing while she is Canada.
You arguments don’t make sense. If IRCC would be happy that the wife only came to Canada for a temporary visit she shouldn’t have applied for an OWP which is intended to allow spouses who have come to Canada to be with their spouse while waiting to get PR to work while they wait. Having a TRV and being able to travel is independent of the OWP. The whole point of the new OWP for spouses in Canada waiting for their PR to be processed was to allow them to work while they waited in Canada and hopefully help the labour needs Canada is facing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you didn’t need to be in Canada you could apply from outside of Canada for OWP with Outland sponsorship applications as well but that is not the case.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Thank you, that makes sense. I knew about the Filipina/Filipino, however I thought that Filipino exclusively referred to male. Thank you for the clarification.

Also, do you know if there is anywhere on this forum where I might find someone who has gone through the process of marrying a filipina? I am Canadian. I just recieved back my Statement in Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage from my government (equivalent to a CENOMAR, something a person needs to get married in the Philippines), however, they denied the request because they said that I do not need it for my destination country. This is odd, since every source and even the Canadian Philippine embassy itself told me that I need this document, and my trip is Aug 15th.

I've heard that you can also get this in the Philippines as well, though I am unsure. If you or anyone else is familiar with this process and has done so successfully, It would mean a lot to me.

I did get a notarized document authenticated by the Canadian government saying that I currently am single, so perhaps that will be enough.
I married my Filipina wife in the Philippines in April 2022. I have heard of the "Statement in Lieu" but was never asked for it. Both my wife and I had had to provide Cenomars. That should be enough.

Bruzman

May 16, 2023
AiP qualifies you for Ohip

emett22

Jul 24, 2023
I married my Filipina wife in the Philippines in April 2022. I have heard of the "Statement in Lieu" but was never asked for it. Both my wife and I had had to provide Cenomars. That should be enough.
Really?? How did you get the CENOMAR if you aren't a Filipino?

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Really?? How did you get the CENOMAR if you aren't a Filipino?
I am an honourary Filipino, for having spent so much time there!

Kidding aside, I think you will find, as we did, that you will have to provide a Cenomar. It's a certification from the Phils Statistics Authority that you are not in their records as married. If you are a foreigner and marry there, and if you register the marriage, then you will be on the books of the PSA. So, you will need it, to show you are not already married there. Both you and your gf will have to get them. Easily done (at least, in some locations...maybe you can say where you plan to be in the Phils).

emett22

Jul 24, 2023
I am an honourary Filipino, for having spent so much time there!

Kidding aside, I think you will find, as we did, that you will have to provide a Cenomar. It's a certification from the Phils Statistics Authority that you are not in their records as married. If you are a foreigner and marry there, and if you register the marriage, then you will be on the books of the PSA. So, you will need it, to show you are not already married there. Both you and your gf will have to get them. Easily done (at least, in some locations...maybe you can say where you plan to be in the Phils).
If it is easily done, that's excellent.

I'll be there in August for about 2 weeks, so we are trying to get the whole marriage application done by the time I leave, then ill come back in a couple months to actually do the ceremony and get married.

Question being, is 2 weeks long enough time to get the CENOMAR? I hear you can get it in person in the Philippines.