+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Travel Restrictions - does it apply to students?

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
I don't see any point to this if some people are going to be subject to the new travel restrictions and some people aren't. Covid isn't going to discriminate between citizens and international students.
Couple of dollars ain't a big deal. I was expecting more of stricter quarantine. Other than milking the money off I don't see how Covid is managed here.

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
I don't see any point to this if some people are going to be subject to the new travel restrictions and some people aren't. Covid isn't going to discriminate between citizens and international students.
Agree, but then what is the alternative? Some people like essential health workers will have to be exempted. The announcement started out for "returning Canadians"...as the day progressed few sites such as CBC news reported it is for "all" international travelers.

"While we know that air travel is responsible for less than two per cent of cases since the start of the crisis, and even less today, we recognize the Government of Canada's ask is a precautionary measure." - Ed Sims, president and CEO of WestJet . Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-travel-measures-1.5892992

https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/coronavirus-covid-19-local-news/trudeau-announces-suspended-flights-mandatory-3-day-hotel-quarantine-for-travellers-3305363: As part of the new restrictions aimed at discouraging travel and reducing the spread of more infectious variants, Trudeau said all returning Canadians will quarantine in an approved hotel for three days at their own expense while they await results of a COVID-19 test taken at the airport.

Reactions: Ppun

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Agree, but then what is the alternative? Some people like essential health workers will have to be exempted. The announcement started out for "returning Canadians"...as the day progressed few sites such as CBC news reported it is for "all" international travelers.

"While we know that air travel is responsible for less than two per cent of cases since the start of the crisis, and even less today, we recognize the Government of Canada's ask is a precautionary measure." - Ed Sims, president and CEO of WestJet . Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-travel-measures-1.5892992

https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/coronavirus-covid-19-local-news/trudeau-announces-suspended-flights-mandatory-3-day-hotel-quarantine-for-travellers-3305363: As part of the new restrictions aimed at discouraging travel and reducing the spread of more infectious variants, Trudeau said all returning Canadians will quarantine in an approved hotel for three days at their own expense while they await results of a COVID-19 test taken at the airport.
Do you guys even want to come here now? Is it worth it? I'm asking, because everything is in lockdown and most courses are online.

You're not going to get the real experience of studying here.

If you guys get exempted i'll understand, given you're not flying in and out of Canada for pleasure, but i'm not sure the public mood is great right now and will allow exemptions. We'll see.

Reactions: Ppun and YVR123

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Do you guys even want to come here now? Is it worth it? I'm asking, because everything is in lockdown and most courses are online.

If you guys get exempted i'll understand, given you're not flying in and out of Canada for pleasure, but i'm not sure the public mood is great right now and will allow exemptions. We'll see.
Wonder whom are you talking about ?

Up for Spring 2021. Only in person classes. Received 10 months extra (dates on the visa) for some weird reason. It's been a good experience for me.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Wonder whom are you talking about ?

Up for Spring 2021. Only in person classes. Received 10 months extra (dates on the visa) for some weird reason. It's been a good experience for me.
i'm confused by your signature, aren't you Canadian by descent? How are you an international student?

What's your course? Your mileage may vary obviously, but a lot of institutions are online only at the moment, maybe yours is one of the few exceptions.

But even then, there's not much to be done except go to class and go home.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
i'm confused by your signature, aren't you Canadian by descent? How are you an international student?

What's your course? Your mileage may vary obviously, but a lot of institutions are online only at the moment, maybe yours is one of the few exceptions.

But even then, there's not much to be done except go to class and go home.
Course dates are bizarre, have no idea about it, just some generous VO. Family immigrated through PR way back in the 10s when EE didn't exist, very old rules. At that time I wasn't interested. Now I am doing it just for the sake of it for educational reasons, PR is just a tag along bonus.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Course dates are bizarre, have no idea about it, just some generous VO. Family immigrated through PR way back in the 10s when EE didn't exist, very old rules. At that time I wasn't interested. Now I am doing it just for the sake of it for educational reasons, PR is just a tag along bonus.
Yeah, that's good, i think that's how it should be, your studies should be your main focus and then PR is like a cherry on top.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Plus the opposition parties, and the news outlets would jump on that if the government started making exceptions. Picture it, individuals coming in from overseas, not being to vote yada yada yada, all getting exemptions to the new rules, but mom and dad smith, head off to Mexico and come back and have to pay for quarantine. Would not be pretty to say the least..........
The Government has to play their cards right........

Reactions: ynandal99

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
Plus the opposition parties, and the news outlets would jump on that if the government started making exceptions. Picture it, individuals coming in from overseas, not being to vote yada yada yada, all getting exemptions to the new rules, but mom and dad smith, head off to Mexico and come back and have to pay for quarantine. Would not be pretty to say the least..........
Just quoting:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the new restrictions are meant to discourage non-essential travel and reduce the spread of more infectious variants that could send domestic case counts soaring. .... ... ...."By putting in place these tough measures now, we can look forward to a better time when we can all plan those vacations." - https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/now-is-just-not-the-time-to-be-flying-pm-trudeau-announces-new-travel-restrictions-1.5287311

Govt. already paid $37 million in hotel bills: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canadians-millions-hotel-quarantine-covid-1.5691370

Reactions: Ppun

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
This exactly, the optics would be terrible.

I don't see anyone escaping from it.

Maybe tommorow

Nov 2, 2020

I can definitely tell you it's a weird experience. Quarntine in a new country is weird. Online courses are terrible in nature and you don't feel like you're doing much. Most thesis are just surveys because people don't want to participate these days or due to social distancing. I came for education but now I hope I at least get PR for justification purposes

Reactions: shubham19965

Arsh Josan

Star Member
Jun 6, 2020
Got visa after waiting for 9 months and I have a flight on 7 feb and I am going to quarantine myself in a hotel for $821 dollars,
I am international Student, traveling for the first time,
just woke up today and read this terrible update , what should I do now, Can I Still travel?

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
Got visa after waiting for 9 months and I have a flight on 7 feb and I am going to quarantine myself in a hotel for $821 dollars,
I am international Student, traveling for the first time,
just woke up today and read this terrible update , what should I do now, Can I Still travel?
You can but it may mean extra costs. However we do not know when the 3 day rule comes into effect, it was only announced this morning.

Reactions: Whofears

Whofears

Oct 29, 2020
You can but it may mean extra costs. However we do not know when the 3 day rule comes into effect, it was only announced this morning.
What is certain for now is that the rule of landing at 4 airports comes into effect from February 3rd by 11.59pm

frustratedSDS

Jan 29, 2021

Students with AIP are only given until 30th of April to land in Canada.

I assume these are the students that do want to come, as they do not want to be disqualified for PGWP.

Reactions: ShaUCan