+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New travel exemption for immediate family member not being honoured or implemented by OUTCAN visa offices

Keets45

May 14, 2018
The reason a lot of you are getting denied under the exemption is you have not proved the travel is not optional/discretionary. It’s important that there are letters from both spouses to indicate why the travel is not optional- there has to be some compelling reason. It’s clearly stated here.

“Immediate family members of temporary residents in Canada will still be required to provide evidence that their travel is non-optional or non-discretionary. For these immediate family members seeking to travel to Canada from any country other than the United States, an authorization letterissued by IRCC is required. This letter, issued for the purposes of reuniting immediate family members, should be sufficient evidence that travel is non-discretionary, as letters are only issued by IRCC when travel is for a non-discretionary purpose...”

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions/non-optional-non-discretionary.html
The above is for immediate family members of temporary residents in Canada. However , I am permanent resident and I have provided all the necessary documents that my spouse travel is not optional. Still, they have rejected it. Not sure if they have even read through my letters with all the proofs attached.

Saim Karim

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
The reason a lot of you are getting denied under the exemption is you have not proved the travel is not optional/discretionary. It’s important that there are letters from both spouses to indicate why the travel is not optional- there has to be some compelling reason. It’s clearly stated here.

“Immediate family members of temporary residents in Canada will still be required to provide evidence that their travel is non-optional or non-discretionary. For these immediate family members seeking to travel to Canada from any country other than the United States, an authorization letterissued by IRCC is required. This letter, issued for the purposes of reuniting immediate family members, should be sufficient evidence that travel is non-discretionary, as letters are only issued by IRCC when travel is for a non-discretionary purpose...”

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions/non-optional-non-discretionary.html
@ZOOZ What you have stated is for temporary residents of Canada.
Majority of us here are "permanent residents" residing in Canada or Canadian citizens.
In spite of this, a refusal is wrong since clearly the issue of discretionary/non-discretionary travel is null and void.

arsalsam786

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
The above is for immediate family members of temporary residents in Canada. However , I am permanent resident and I have provided all the necessary documents that my spouse travel is not optional. Still, they have rejected it. Not sure if they have even read through my letters with all the proofs attached.
when did you apply?please if you can tell me ....i have also applied

ZOOZ

Star Member
Apr 10, 2020
Category........
Other
@ZOOZ What you have stated is for temporary residents of Canada.
Majority of us here are "permanent residents" residing in Canada or Canadian citizens.
In spite of this, a refusal is wrong since clearly the issue of discretionary/non-discretionary travel is null and void.
Read the whole document. Then read it again.

Saim Karim

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Read the whole document. Then read it again.
Uhmm - I did,
also stumbled upon this
"Immediate family members (as defined in the Orders in Council) of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada will be deemed to be travelling for a non-discretionary or non–optional purpose if the travel is for 15 days or more and they are travelling with or to be with their Canadian citizen or permanent resident family member. In addition, officers should be flexible when processing immediate family members of Canadian Citizens and Permanent residents of Canada travelling for less than 15 days, if they are travelling for a non-discretionary or non-optional purpose "

This pretty much sums up what ive been trying to say.

DigitalKat

Feb 13, 2019
From my recent communications with the department, I don’t think a quarantine plan is required as part of the application but you need to have one when you arrive at the border and be able to show it to the border officer.

Though I did mention on the application that I can’t provide a flight or hotel accommodations because I don’t even know which city I will land at. It will all depend on the available travel services from my country to canada (nowadays they aren’t many and the schedule keeps changing) and not many airlines provide refundable tickets at this stage.
This is also very true. I guess in my invitation letters I'll make sure to state that this is a requirement to travel due to covid and in fear of not seeing each other again. Some sort of compelling reason that this is due to Covid. Same with providing hotel and accommodations it's very hard because as you said, all of these things are put to a halt right now. It honestly all depends on the mood of the officer who's reading your file, if he's had his coffee and fee's happy he will make sure you get in canada.

Reactions: confused_aj

Jass1234

Oct 1, 2017
Hello all,

I had couple of questions.

Does my spouse need to include her photo in the TRV online application.In the checklist it is mentioned that if biometric is required then digital photo will be taken at VFS centre.My spouse currently dont have a photo and we were hesitant to get a photo taken during this time.Does she need to include a photo in her online application or it would be taken at VFS centre

Also can I use the same gckey account which is linked to my spouse PR application to submit her TRV application

confused_aj

Star Member
Jan 13, 2017
Hello all,

Does my spouse need to include her photo in the TRV online application.In the checklist it is mentioned that if biometric is required then digital photo will be taken at VFS centre.My spouse currently dont have a photo and we were hesitant to get a photo taken during this time.Does she need to include a photo in her online application or it would be taken at VFS centre

Also can I use the same gckey account which is linked to my spouse PR application to submit her TRV application
I think the photo field is required and you can‘t submit the application without it. You can use any old passport photo and it doesn't need to be recent since, as you mentioned, a new one will be taken for biometrics.

Alsa30

Feb 8, 2020
UAE
Category........
IRCC needs to know And make sure that the applicant is going to leave Canada after the visit
satisfying the officer that you are leaving Canada is the key ...

Jass1234

Oct 1, 2017
I think the photo field is required and you can‘t submit the application without it. You can use any old passport photo and it doesn't need to be recent since, as you mentioned, a new one will be taken for biometrics.
Thanks for answering the question.Also can I use the same gckey account which is linked to my spouse PR application to submit her TRV application ?

Jass1234

Oct 1, 2017
I was filling the Schedule 1 form since my spouse also has a PR application in process.Do I need to mention the PR application UCI number in Schedule 1 form for TRV or keep that field blank?

CDNsoldier

Jan 9, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Spousal Sponsorship
Hello all,

Uploading a photo is required. You can take one on your phone, just use a passport photo app.

Reactions: Andre5

Jass1234

Oct 1, 2017
Uploading a photo is required. You can take one on your phone, just use a passport photo app.
Thanks for replying.I would do the same
I would be my spouse's representative and we would fill 5476e form.Can I use the same gckey account which is linked to my spouse PR application to submit her TRV application .This is my GCKEY account.Will my spouse need to create a seprate gckey account for submitting TRV application